McGregors Stirlingshire.....***birthday bumped post***

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Sun Oct 08, 2006 1:15 pm

Hi Morag,

Yes, the Archives are at Callendar House.

As I said, I'm heading in (hopefully) this week so I'll look for Hannahs.

I was searching for Mirks a wee while ago (can't remember why or for who!!) so here's the details - unfortunately none of them match the names you're looking for.

In Dennyloanhead Churchyard:
T. Mirk, buried 3.3.1838, Weaver, residing in Loanhead, cause of death - Dropsy
Elizabeth Mirk, buried 1841, 10 months, residing in Haggs, cause of death - Measles
William Mirk, buried 21.3.1848, residing in Haggs, cause of death - Disease of the bowels

Family headstone in Denny Cemetery
George Mirk, died 10.10.1888 aged 53 years
Mary Mirk, died 20.11.1875 aged 2 years
Wiliam Mirk, died 12.06.1875 aged 3 years
Elizabeth Mirk (nee Gillies), died 7.8.1914 aged 78 years
James Mirk, died 12.10.1917 aged 39 years (Pte. New Zealand Forces)

Anne

Morag

Post by Morag » Sun Oct 08, 2006 2:58 pm

Thanks Anne

None of these Mirks sound right - my Margaret was married in 1789 so these are too recent. The only hopeful (which someone else has connected in a submission on IGI ) is one born in Slamannan but the parents names are not in her own childrens names so I am not convinced !
If you find any Hannahs I would be delighted and I will leave the Mirks for just now

Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others

apanderson

Post by apanderson » Tue Oct 10, 2006 8:01 pm

Here we go Morag - Hannahs - all two of them!

Christian Hannah of Bankier, buried 1st January 1838 (Conformist)
Janet Hannah of Haggs, buried 8th September 1846, age 86 of Decay/Palsy? (Conformist)

The Burials Register starts at 1836 and stops at 1851 and the Baptismal Register starts at 1836 and stops at 1866 (one starting at the front, the other starting at the back with 90% of the in-between pages blank)?

The girls at the Archives have no idea if there's another volume although they doubt if one exists :roll:

Obviously there were baptisms right up until the church closed but I wonder if once the churchyard was full, (as it's tiny) that's when a new book was started, purely for baptisms?

I ended up transcribing all the burials so if you want any look ups - just say the word!

Anne

Morag

Post by Morag » Tue Oct 10, 2006 9:02 pm

Thanks Anne

This lot are determined to make life difficult for me !
Janet who died in 1846 age 86 must be a sister of Thomas who is at the top of my tree - he was born in 1756. It is ringing bells that I have her on the 1841 census - but living alone (which is of no use) , but I can't find it at the moment.
Christian is not a name that my Hannahs used at all - so that is interesting as I think originally they were all from the same family.
Apart from Hannahs I don't have anyone else from Denny , so I don't think there are any I would like you to look up - but if I think of any I will be in touch !
I need to have a big tidy up of all my info and then make a trip to Callander House myself - I was there a few years ago and found it really useful but I have moved on a lot since then in who I am looking for.

Thanks again

Morag
Searching mainly Stirlingshire - Hastings,Nicol,Honeyman,Nisbet,Tough,Miller - among others

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Thu Oct 12, 2006 10:51 pm

The wisdom of going back over old stuff has been emphasised many times - I did it myself a few days ago on another thread.

Well my face is a wee bit red on this one :oops:

One of the first death certs I got was my great grandfather's - the son of Robert McGregor and Margaret Marshall. I'd read enough to know not to take the names of parents as gospel, as the informant doesn't always know the people concerned etc. So I brushed aside the fact that Margaret's maiden surname wasn't given as Marshall as it was in all the other certs. :roll: It was Fraser :oops:

You would think, would you not, that when I'd used the very example of Marshall becoming Fraser to illustrate a point to a friend not a month ago, a wee bell would have gone off in ma heid somewhere towards the end of last week.

Bit naw!

Lesson in there somewhere.

And I haven't solved the problem of "was my Robert's father William or Duncan" but I'm chipping away. One or two bits of missing info needed, perhaps a borrow of an OPR from LDS library, a month off work to research and I'll have it cracked :D

Alternatively, if Sarah, Sally and Jean are free tomorrow while I just nip out to the shoe shop ... :D

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu Oct 12, 2006 11:13 pm

A lesson for all of us! I'm going to quickly go through all my old downloads before I get to Edinburgh or I'll surely waste my time looking up things I already know... :shock:
pinkshoes wrote:Alternatively, if Sarah, Sally and Jean are free tomorrow while I just nip out to the shoe shop ... :D
You'll have to count me out, as I'll be driving across France tomorrow to catch the ferry :D

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Oct 17, 2006 8:52 pm

Sarah - hope you're really enjoying your trip -let's hear about it when you get back :)

Just a wee snippet on the McGregors/Duncans and Pennsylvania. At least proof positive that William Duncan and Jane Fraser/McGregor were indeed the pair in the 1880 US census and they did come back again shortly after. 1891 census has them in Haggs (same general area as Denny/Kilsyth) - William the father, Jane the mother, Maggie, Agnes and Annie who were in the US census PLUS Lizzie age 10 and James age 4. Why am I so excited? ... Lizzie was born in Pennsylvania America \:D/ and James was born in Denny. Hooray! So they were back in time for William to have been the informant on his sister-in-law's death cert in 1884, and when mother Jane eventually died in 1929, the informant was James her son. Hooray!

That's the Duncans confirmed. So where was I ... ah yes ... Robert McGregor ](*,)

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

JustJean

Re: McGregors Stirlingshire.....

Post by JustJean » Tue Dec 09, 2014 3:17 pm

sorry i missed the exact TS birthday! my how time does fly :( thought i would bump another flash from the good old days!

best wishes
Jean

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Dec 09, 2014 8:02 pm

Thanks for that, Jean!

Well do I remember Pinkshoes and her shoe buying excursions as well as the fascinating discussions with the captive spouses over dinner/drinks :lol:
That was an entertaining example of TS teamwork =D>

Sarah

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Wed Dec 10, 2014 1:52 pm

Jings, crivens, help ma boab! This was a real beauty, was it not! I remember the excitement of it all. Reading through it all, I really have no idea how everyone kept track of it all, and as we said at the time, the teamwork was just awesome.

I'd dearly love to say I know everything about Robert Mcgregor now, all these years later. But, surprise, I still think he must have fallen to earth somewhere near Denny and was never actually born at all.

One thing I do know though, his parents were not William mcgregor and Margaret wylie. I followed their Robert to his natural conclusion and he's
definitely not mine. Which is a shame really, because i can trace that family
back to the ice age :lol: So maybe he was right in giving his parents as Duncan Mcg and margaret Clelland. I'm away to get my file out!

Happy days, eh. It's a long time since I posted here, and hope everyone's in the best of health x