Regional Meet Ups

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

Susie Q

Post by Susie Q » Fri Nov 24, 2006 4:57 pm

I think you've answered David's question too. Re: Scotch or Scottish ?
I've yet to meet a Scot who would claim to be "Scotch "

Cath
Surname Interests
SANAGHAN, N. Ireland, Lanarkshire, Fife
FLEMING, Bathgate, Fife
ARMOUR, MAILLIE, Ayrshire, West Calder
GIBBONS, Ireland, Lasswade, Fife

Miss Poohs

Post by Miss Poohs » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:13 pm

Ohhh Pooh I didn't make it to the Mitchell today - the here and now got in the way.

I'm just itchin' to get in there too.
Beveridge, Bonnar, Burns,Candlin, Colquhoun, Dewar,Graham,Hislop,Jackson & Robertson.
Martin & Nelson - all Liverpool
Allison, Beaton, MacLean, McLuskie & Todd.
Grant, McEwan, McLean & Syme.

angel

Post by angel » Fri Nov 24, 2006 6:35 pm

Hello Everyone

I am in Elgin Moray if anyones up my give a shout also I am about 80 milers from Aberdeen.

Heather
[b]Spence[/b]~Linlithgow
[b]Downie[/b]~Glasgow
[b]Queen/Quin[/b]~Glagow Ireland
[b]Menzies[/b]~Scotland/England

PaulaD

Post by PaulaD » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:16 pm

Hi Pink shoes & Cath,

Can I put my name down for the Yorkshire meet? :D

Paula
Searching for Barclay Aberdeenshire, Stewart Edinburgh, Brown Edinburgh & Uphall, Finlayson E Lothian, Fairley & Renton E & W Lothian for starters!

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Fri Nov 24, 2006 8:19 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: This could actually happen :lol: :lol: :lol: Let's not forget Maisie - that makes 4 already!

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:44 pm

First, I suppose there's ne'er a Paddy amongst us apart from myself? Hoping to get to Scotland in 2007 and as all my scottish clan are from Aberdeenshire, if a group ever gets going there would love to meet up. Have so many brick walls, lost sheep etc could do with some solace if not help!

Secondly, Susie Q / Cath - I see you have Gibbons from Ireland in your signature. My Gibbons folk came from Mayo in the West of Ireland and I have a pretty extensive tree compiled between a few of us. Can I help at all?

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Fri Nov 24, 2006 9:54 pm

Hi Tish

I'm hoping to be going the other way in 2007 - my sister and I hope to go to Ireland. We've got lots of Irish relatives that we're just starting to try to track down.

Let me know when you plan to come to Scotland. If you're coming to Glasgow or the area around, we can try to meet up. The folks who live round about are usually up for a meeting!

Liz
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:51 pm

Liz,

Hope you have good luck searching in Ireland. I haven't done much searching here as it's just too difficult and I'm not in a position to offer to help - most of you know more about it than I do. My scottish searching is easier because so much is available on-line which I can do at all hours of the night. I have a crazy job which just doesn't allow for much else. Still if you encounter any difficulties or if you think I can help with EASY things like geography, by all means give me a shout. One good turn deserves another and I owe a lot of people on this site more than one good turn!

Tish
Researching Mitchell Grassick Bowman Farquharson Wilson Allanach Leys Coutts Gauld McNerney from Crathie and Braemar, Strathdon and Glenbuchat and who moved on to Aberdeen, Glasgow, Ireland, Australia, India, Canada.

Liz Turner
Global Moderator

Post by Liz Turner » Fri Nov 24, 2006 10:56 pm

Tish

I'm trying to organise a seminar for people on Irish research and it will probably be early March - so if you can make it over then that would be great - if not, we hope to have a "cheat sheet" for folks to take away. We also plan to have an email version to send to the poor souls (that means you Marilyn) who can't make it from foreign parts, so even if you can't make it, we'll send you information.

If you get over anytime though, let folk on TS know you're coming - we always like an excuse for a meeting!

Cheers!

Liz
Last edited by Liz Turner on Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Fife: Nicolson, Cornfoot, Walker, Gibson, Balsillie, Galt, Elder
NE Scot: Nicolson, Lindsay, Haliburton, Ross
Edin & Central: Nicolson, Blaikie, Stevenson, Ross, Hotchkiss, Suttie, Christie, Clelland, Gray, Purvis, Lang, Dickson
Ross & Cromarty: Ross

tishgibbons

Post by tishgibbons » Fri Nov 24, 2006 11:01 pm

Liz,

I'm ashamed to admit it, but you can count me in for the 'cheat sheet' too!

Tish