Thomson Family - Torphichen .....

Information and Advice

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi Brian

I agree with Andrew re Ian being James, in view of the census of 1881, and the fact that Ian is a variant of John'

Maiden name of the mother does look like Fairley.

Best wishes
Jean

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:33 pm

Sorry everyone - I posted during Andrew's edit time - looks like I was trying to steal his thunder but there was no mention of James when I threw in my tuppence worth - honest :lol:

Pinkshoes

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jan 13, 2007 11:46 pm

pinkshoes wrote:Sorry everyone - I posted during Andrew's edit time - looks like I was trying to steal his thunder but there was no mention of James when I threw in my tuppence worth - honest :lol:

Pinkshoes
Sorry Pinkshoes, I was busy editing at the same time as you were writing. James was in that edit. No thunder stolen.

All the best,

AndrewP

Rockford

Post by Rockford » Sun Jan 14, 2007 3:09 am

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your help - I agree that No. 10 is more likely to be James than Ian - in light of your comments about Ian being the Gaelic form of John, and the fact that there is a James listed in the 1855 Census that I should've noticed #-o . I got carried away with my 1855 certificate!

The help I've had with this family in the last three days [see my post on Opium Poisoning in Stat Records topic] has been fantastic - I just hope that I can return the favour one day.....

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sun Jan 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Hi Brian - just noticed the names you're researching - Dunlop/Logie in particular. I think we may recently have started communicating through Genes Reunited! Glad you've found your way to TS! I'm sure you'll get much more help here in the future :lol:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes