Nothing to do with Genealogy, but I am so losing it

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Tue Feb 06, 2007 2:39 am

Posted: Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:10 am Post subject:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi Marilyn

At least the people at your bank noticed that the date was a bit off. I have worked in accounting for years and you would be surprised how many don't.

Your stories prove it. We can blame the mixing up of dates on the problems we have chasing down all our old rellies, especially the ones who were so inconsiderate as to move all over Scotland, instead of staying in one place, not to mention getting married, or baptized (when and if they did) in places where they didn't keep good records. Worst of all in my case, are the ones that went back and forth to Ireland.

It is enough to drive a person to making that Xmas Fruitcake from that recipe that you gave at the Christmas Party. At least I think it was you who gave out that recipe.

Cheers

Sheila
Hello Again Sheila,

If my bank had cashed the check, they would had been liable, for the debt! And if I had known that, I would have booked passage on the QE 2.

Don't worry yourself over the mixup in the dates. My mum, Marilyn Morning #1 (I'm her name sake) had 7 children and at times she gets us mixed up, mostly when we're all in the same room and she's talking fast. :lol:

Its not unlike her to rattle off our names in order of our birth, only to ask us "Who the heck?" :lol: Or better known as "Who Ever" Ah, ya got to love her, bless her heart.....

Yes, it was me who posted that recipe for the fruitcake....Let me go get a copy for ya, just in case you want to bake it before the next holiday season!

Regards
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Tue Feb 06, 2007 3:07 am

Here ya go Sheila

I couldn't find this receipe until tonight. My husband had it, he was going to try and make a cake, but he's passed out in the middle of the kitchen floor!

~~How to cook the fruitcake~~
Sample the whiskey to check for quality.
Take a large bowl.
Check the whiskey again to be sure that it is of the highest quality.
Pour 1 level cup and drink. Repeat if necessary.
Turn on the electric mixer.
Beat 1 C of butter in a large fluffy bowl.
Add 1 tsp sugar and beat again.
Make sure the whiskey is still OK. Cry another tup.
Turn off the mixer.
Break two legs and add to the bowl and chuck in the cup of dried fruit.
Mix on the turner.
If the fried druit gets stuck in the beaterers, pry it loose with a drewscriver.
Sample the whiskey to check for tonsisticity.
Next, sift the cups of salt. Or something. Who cares.
Check the whiskey again.
Now sift the lemon juice and strain your nuts.
Add one tablespoon of sugar or something. Whatever you can find.
Grease the oven.
Turn the cake tin to 350 degrees.
Don't forget to beat off the turner.
Throw the bowl out of the window.
Check the whiskey again.
Go to bed. Who the heck likes fruitcake anyway?

And if this should fail, then

[5 cups]

Cheers and Be Well!

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Feb 06, 2007 4:01 am

Brilliant...I needed a good laugh! :lol:

Regards,
Anne H

margaretmccue

fruite cake

Post by margaretmccue » Tue Feb 06, 2007 12:37 pm

dear all, I cant remember when I laughed this much, thanks; as for dates and names? I have 5 children and 13 granchildren. so most of of them are now thingy or whatsit, just to let you know your in good company?
I went to the dentist on the wrong day, but they couldnt fit me in,
cheers and good wishes to all, Margaret \:D/
names I,m looking for Marshall/ Rankine Polmont and Slamannon. Anderson/Fegus/kilsyth
Vietch/Russell Peebles Vietch/Thomson Airdrie Mcnab/Orr, Slamannon Thomson/Hislop Peeles

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 06, 2007 1:00 pm

It's the pitying looks I get from my kids that really gets me!

Went shopping with my daughter one day and we were a good 10 minutes inti the drive when she very politely asked me where the devil I was taking her!

Yup! I was heading in entirely the wrong direction for a journey I must do at least once, if not twice a week!

P.S. but I'll whisper it - I've also got out of my car, bought a parking ticket, got back into the car and driven away before now! :roll:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

davran

Post by davran » Tue Feb 06, 2007 5:54 pm

Thanks for making me laugh! I'm glad I'm not the only one. Years ago, when I was in my twenties, I went for a job interview a week in advance :oops: I hadn't got the nerve to go back a week later in case the receptionist remembered me :oops:
Researching: KNOX of Renfrew. Also FORSYTH, MCFARLANE, MCINDOE, BENNIE, HUTCHISON, HENDERSON

Bertha

post subject

Post by Bertha » Tue Feb 06, 2007 6:57 pm

Hi Everyone
Had a really good laugh at all your wee absent minded moments.
On Saturday, my husband had his first "senior moment" at 54! He went off to the barber I was to meet him after for breakfast. As I was walking out the door, he pulled up in his car, this was only some 5 mins after his appointment time. I thought hm, his hair must be getting quicker to do these days. 'Fraid not, his appointment is for NEXT SATURDAY!
We all had a good laugh at his expense as he prides himself on never getting things wrong (or at least that's his high opinion of himself)
Life would be very dull if we all didn't have our "wee moments"
Bertha
looking for
Nelson/Neilson,Wood,McDonald,Baillie - East Lothian
McLaren,Ross,Kelly,McEwan,Nicholson,Price/Pryce,Telfer,Robertson, Dickson/Dixon, Gibson,Niven Edinburgh

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:37 pm

These things happen to all of us, but it's great to catch your boss at it. Found her in the kitchen at work making herself a coffee and I start making my tea. Busy chatting away, each "helping" the other, no one really in charge of the drink-making, as you do - jist a gitter really :lol: But by the end of it my cup contained coffee with a teabag floating in it. :? Neither of us had a clue who was guilty, but I definitely never took possession of a spoon. Ha ha, wisnae me, must've been her :lol:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Feb 06, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Everyone

It has been fun reading about everyone else's mistakes. It is nice to know that I am not alone. :lol:

Marilyn, your mother's mixing up the names was something very much like what my mother did when my aunt and my married sister would visit us at the same time. For some reason she could handle two women in the same room, but not three, and would mix up the names of my sister, aunt and me. Is this a Scottish thing? :wink:

As for outdated checks. This happens when a check gets "lost" and a Stop Payment is put on it and another check is made out and sent. Then the "Lost" check is found. Usually the seller knows this right away and sends the check back. Sometimes they don't and put it through the bank. A telephone call to the Seller is usually all that is needed to get the money back. I had one experience when the Seller put a year old check that had a"Stop Payment on it, in the bank, got the money and went out of business. The Bank was liable, but it took some doing before they would pay the money back to the company that I was working for.

Thank you for the Christmas Fruit Cake recipe. I had been mad at myself for not making a copy of it last Christmas. I am going to make up copies and give them to all my female relatives. :mrgreen:

Cheers Everybody [pour-drink]

Sheila
Sheila

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Wed Feb 07, 2007 12:37 am

Thank you for the Christmas Fruit Cake recipe. I had been mad at myself for not making a copy of it last Christmas. I am going to make up copies and give them to all my female relatives.
Now Sheila, you know what would be really funny? :lol: If you invited those same ladies over to make the recipe. Don't let on its a joke until you're ready to mix the ingredients and then hand them the recipe... :lol:

Regards
Marilyn