1871 and 1891 Scotland censuses "coming soon"

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

SarahND
Site Admin

1871 and 1891 Scotland censuses "coming soon"

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 13, 2007 11:31 pm

Hi all,
Just got an email from ancestry.com announcing some new databases and one thing they say is that the following are "coming soon":

Soldiers of the First World War, Canada
1871 Scotland Census
1891 Scotland Census

We should have some more fun with the OCR transcriptions :lol: And just maybe find some of those elusive people with the more flexible searches...
Cheers,
Sarah
Last edited by SarahND on Thu Apr 05, 2007 5:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

grannysrock

Post by grannysrock » Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:34 am

I can hardly wait ! I've just about picked myself off the floor after seeing that someone had apparently been born in Berwick Upon Taiwan this evening - I know that Berwick had been the subject of international dispute , but I'd no idea that things had got that far .... :lol:

But I agree it will give extra ways of finding people that we don't have at the moment.

Sally

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:30 am

grannysrock wrote:I can hardly wait ! I've just about picked myself off the floor after seeing that someone had apparently been born in Berwick Upon Taiwan this evening - I know that Berwick had been the subject of international dispute , but I'd no idea that things had got that far .... :lol:

But I agree it will give extra ways of finding people that we don't have at the moment.

Sally
But surely this adds creedence to the theory of just where the transciption service has it's home office..... :-

The other day I was offered an opportunity to complete a survey for ancestry. (even opportunity to enter statements in my own words!!) I usually blow right past these but took the time to lodge a request for more accuracy in their future database releases with particular respect towards census indexing. Doubtful it mattered but at least I did my bit :wink:

Best wishes
Jean

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Wed Feb 14, 2007 9:04 am

JustJean wrote:The other day I was offered an opportunity to complete a survey for ancestry. (even opportunity to enter statements in my own words!!) I usually blow right past these but took the time to lodge a request for more accuracy in their future database releases with particular respect towards census indexing. Doubtful it mattered but at least I did my bit :wink:
I did the same thing a few weeks ago-- do you think they will actually read them? Oh no, I just realized... what if the OCR reads them? :shock: What will it end up saying? Doesn't bear thinking about :roll:

All the best,
Sarah

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:16 pm

:wink: Ahhh but you see I anticipated that eventuality and was sure to use many naturally occuring four letter words. With a bit of luck their machinery will get to the underlying message :lol:

Best wishes
Jean

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:29 pm

I wonder if you are aware that OCR is used by some survey companies?

We've all seen the ones that you tick a box from a choice. Well, there is a reason why they usually ask that you use a black pen! It's so that the scanner picks them all up! The bits where you are asked to "comment" are also scanned and the OCR "interpretation" is used to flag returns where certain words, or groups of words appear.

Talk about the machine age :shock:
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Sat Mar 03, 2007 10:54 pm

For anyone who hasn't noticed yet - 1871 and 1891 have sneaked in the back door. 1891 isn't visible in the initial list - you need to click on "view all Scottish census" or whatever it says.

Good Luck :lol: :lol: :lol:

Pinkshoes

cdeeks

Post by cdeeks » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:47 pm

Ancestry.com is announcing some new databases including -
"Soldiers of the First World War Canada".
They can be searched "free" at: www.collectionscanada.ca/genealogy
Click on" Centre Databases "on left side and scroll down to "Military"
Christine
Canada

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Mar 04, 2007 9:53 pm

Thanks, Christine,
And welcome to Talking Scot!! Nice of you to start out by giving us a new database to search!
All the best,
Sarah