Crystal Ball?

Birth, Marriage, Death

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Crystal Ball?

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 20, 2007 1:56 pm

I've downloaded a 1890 Eyemouth DC for a "potential" rellie, Isabella Landels, and was a little disturbed by the comment with the RCE notation (put there possibly because her husband couldn't give her mother's name at all, but will have to wait for the RCE's to find out :( ).

The whole thing reads

"Result of Precognition
See Reg of Cor Entries
Vol I p 94
18th January 1890"

Thought OK, maybe I'm getting the meaning for precognition wrong, but checked and from Wiki...

"In parapsychology, precognition (from the Latin præ-, “prior to,” + cognitio, “a getting to know”) is a form of extra-sensory perception wherein a person perceives information about future places or events before they happen (as distinct from merely predicting them based on deductive reasoning and current knowledge)."

Wonder who had the crystal ball :shock:

Can anyone :lol: enlighten :lol: me?
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:04 pm

Hiya - I think precognition is a legal term to do with taking a statement - not sure if it's the act of doing this, or the actual statement itself (vague recollection from working for a solicitor years ago).

Maybe that'll do till the experts arrive :lol:

Sorry to blow the crystal ball to bits - I like that explanation better :wink:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 20, 2007 2:25 pm

Thanks Pinkshoes,
Sorry to blow the crystal ball to bits - I like that explanation better
:lol: :lol:

I just got this picture in my mind of the registrar and assorted folk sitting round a table either holding hands asking "is there anyone there?" or him sitting with a wee wumman in a headscarf gazing into a crystal ball :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:22 pm

pinkshoes wrote:Hiya - I think precognition is a legal term to do with taking a statement - not sure if it's the act of doing this, or the actual statement itself (vague recollection from working for a solicitor years ago).

Maybe that'll do till the experts arrive :lol:

Sorry to blow the crystal ball to bits - I like that explanation better :wink:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes
Jist that.

Nae crystal ball involved :!:

David

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 20, 2007 3:49 pm

Thanks David.

I'm almost disappointed :lol:

So, what's with these legal eagles who take a perfectly good word, with an accepted meaning, and use it to their own ends?

I mean you couldn't get two more different meanings if you tried!

One is the foreseeing of what might be to come
The other is a statement of facts
[b]Mary[/b]

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Feb 20, 2007 4:44 pm

Hi Mary

In my nursing days I occasionally was asked to attend Police Precognitions to identify clothing and other significant effects worn by, or carried by a casualty and go over possible questions which might be asked in court about my memory of a particular casualty, keeping in mind that the incident and admission might have taken place up to a year previously.
This was a form of crystal ball gazing trying to look into possible lines of questioning a prosecutor or defence lawyer might take. So not too far removed from the original intent and meaning is it :?:

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Tue Feb 20, 2007 6:23 pm

Indeed a precognition is usually a statement you take to ascertain what a witness will say in court, if you're lucky. Pre meaning before cognition meaning knowing. As the general rule goes "never ask a question to which you don't know the answer!"

I've just spent some of today arranging to precognose a couple of my witnesses for a forthcoming case.

I think in the deaths case it just extends the meaning to mean statement.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:16 pm

Russell and Anne,

Very informative, and I understand the "never ask a question you don't know the answer to" rule...

BUT...

A'hm still awfy disapointed [sigh]
[b]Mary[/b]

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Feb 20, 2007 7:49 pm

It's always been a perfectly good word in terms of Scottish legal vocabularly.

Like "compear", "panel", and that's not a door panel, or a group of people :!: :wink:

Never mind any registrar using a crystal ball would have received his jotters pretty quickly!

David

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Feb 20, 2007 9:54 pm

DavidWW wrote: Never mind any registrar using a crystal ball would have received his jotters pretty quickly!David
Spoilsports :!: :lol:
[b]Mary[/b]