Scottish Catholic Archives

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Jack

Scottish Catholic Archives

Post by Jack » Tue Mar 06, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi all,
For those with RC ancestors it might be worth keeping an eye on the Scottish Catholic Archives over the next few years.
-
http://www.catholic-heritage.net/sca/index.htm
-
I believe they hope to put ?all? their Scottish records online at some future point - in a format similar to SP.
Possibly it will be Baptisms & Marriages to begin with?
But it will be a massive task filming them.
Maybe a TS member in Edinburgh will know something of their long term plans?
Jack
-
ps, at one point (still?) their office had a "No Family Historians" notice, but this is not now adhered to!
All are welcome! :D
If intending to visit, best contact them beforehand - details on their pages under Access.
-

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:18 am

Great news Jack. Personally I'm thrilled the records will come online at some point, I have lots to research...just wish it was sooner than later :)

Regards,
Anne H

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed Mar 07, 2007 9:41 am

The last I heard, a few months ago, was that an agreement between NAS and the Roman Catholic Church authorities in Scotland was imminent, basically just requiring signatures; this allowing NAS to microfilm (and index?) the various records.

On timescale I'm not sure, but it will be an internal NAS project, i.e. other outside partners (think about it !) won't be involved.

How and when the info will be made available on line may still be something to be decided, but it's likely, in the first instance, to be similar to how the testaments were first made available, i.e. an NAS site, and yes, it won't be next month, and probably not next year !

Beyond that, whether or not these records will ever become available on SP, I don't really know.

David

Chris Paton

Post by Chris Paton » Wed Mar 07, 2007 10:07 am

Looking good though!

Next up...Dissenter records...! lol :)

Chris
Tha an lasair nad anam aig meadhan do bhith
Nas làidir 's nas motha na riaghaltas no rìgh.

djcrtoye

Post by djcrtoye » Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:14 pm

I heard that story as well. But another rumour was that they were going straight to SP. Any truth in that.

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:28 pm

Hi All

We all have RC ancestors. The RC Church was there before the Presbyterian Church.
Does anyone know how far back the Roman Catholic Archives go?

Regards
Sheila

Jean Jeanie
Global Moderator

Post by Jean Jeanie » Tue Oct 23, 2007 8:39 pm

Hi Shelia

Go to the link at the top of the page in Jack's initial post, click on "Genealogy" and then click on "List of Parish Registers held by the Scottish Catholic Archives"

They cannot have the complete list as I found one of mine in the Tombae Catholic Church, Inveravon, Moray, born in 1853.

Best wishes
Jean

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Wed Oct 24, 2007 5:52 pm

Hi Jean Jeanie

They really don't go very far back do they? The earliest records are for the late 18th century. :(

Wouldn't it have been great if they had gone back a few centuries earlier?

Regards
Sheila

donna petrie

other denomonation records

Post by donna petrie » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:37 pm

Hello, I e-mailed SP re the records of other denominations and they told me that all going well they will have them online by the end of this year; they confirmed that it will actual images not transcriptions.
Fisher Slimman Murray Dow Dickson Liverance Scoular, Duncan Mclaughlin Hunter Buchanan, Petrie, Millar Wallace Foote Henderson LIndsay
Smith, Mains, Huldberg Wilkes Morris Islay Ponter Murray Miller Whitten Irvine

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:51 pm

That will be great!!! I'm so pleased, as it may provide identifying info about a girl my father referred to as his sister, but ... can't find hide nor hair of her.

At this point, I'm ready to look at every record with her first name .... well, not really, but I'd like to know.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow