Placename Help Please

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

pinkshoes

Placename Help Please

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:32 pm

I've uploaded a certificate to the gallery (I hope). I wonder if anyone can make heid or tail of the place in Ireland where Cornelius Clark and Bridget Monaghan were married. I've googled till I've goggled but no luck.

If the placename is as accurate as the various ages given by this pair I could be in for a fair search. And the date of marriage would make Bridget about 9 when she married old man Cornelius age 14 :shock:

This is not a close family connection, but I can't leave them alone :D

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1155 (see revised image link below)

Thanks for looking.

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

Gallery URL added - AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:41 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

Have you uploaded the wrong certificate? That is a death certificate.

All the best,

AndrewP

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:42 pm

Yup :oops: Sorry Andrew, got carried away. I'll put the right one up now.

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1156

Pinkshoes

Gallery URL added - AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:49 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

I see the marriage place as Colmhill, Ireland.

All the best,

AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:55 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

Have you seen the birth certificate for John Clark (son of Cornelius Clark and Bridget Monaghan) in 1873 in Irvine? That should give another handwriting of the marriage place. James of 1858 (Kilwinning) is unlikely to give marriage details (not a requirement on birth certiicates od 1856 to 1860).

All the best,

AndrewP
Last edited by AndrewP on Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 9:56 pm

No -but I will have in about three minutes! Thanks Andrew.

Pinkshoes

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:01 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

The marriage details on that certificate are well scribbled. I make them out as:

About thirty years
County Longford, Ireland

The marriage date (about 30 years) is roughly in line with the other birth cerificate that said 1841.

Combining the information from both certificates, I suggest that the place name is Columbkille, County Longford. Having found that place on a map, I went back to the certificate you uploaded, and the place name can be seen as Colmkill.

All the best,

Andrew

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:16 pm

Brilliant Andrew - thank you. I managed Longford but it would have taken a while before "thirty years" dawned on me. I've not come across such a certificate. Doesn't surprise me though - Bridget's death cert gives her age as "about 63" and her name has ranged from Donaghue through to Monaghan.

Interestingly, their son-in-law seems to have known more about the family than the sons and daughters, and thankfully he was the informant on a couple of deaths. Sadly no-one knew Cornelius' parents names.

The date of marriage is intruiging though - Bridget died in 1891 making her born 1828. The 1891 census has her age 60, in 1881 she was 48 and in 1871 she was 41. None of that would worry me, but it consistently puts her in the "jist a wean" category when it comes to weddings. Cornelius' age varies as well, but always has him just a few years older than her. According to his death cert he was born in 1827 making him about 14 when they married.

I think there's a distinct possibility they had no idea when they actually got married - first birth I've found is about 1854 - long time to be childless given the regularity with which they subsequently appeared!

Thanks for your help (again) Andrew. I'll just pop across the water and check out County Longford. :lol:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

PS - "Columbkille" - parish in Longford, looks like a reasonable bet for Colmkill - Araphady strikes again :lol:

PPS - Andrew I didn't notice your bit about the place name - went diving across the water too fast! Thanks for all your efforts. Looks like Colmkill has it!

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Apr 03, 2007 10:29 pm

Hi Pinkshoes,

See the north end of this map. It shows Columbkille Church.

http://www.londonancestor.com/maps/bc-xlong.htm

And also this map that shows the parish area.

http://www.ireland.com/ancestor/fuses/t ... y=Longford

See also this county map of Ireland, showing Longford in red, almost in the centre of Ireland.

http://www.wesleyjohnston.com/users/ire ... nties.html

All the best,

AndrewP

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Tue Apr 03, 2007 11:31 pm

Thanks for these Andrew - it helps to pinpoint the place, especially for one whose geography skills extend to mapping the biscuit cupboard and not much further :lol:

Longford didn't appear at that time to be the most exciting part of Ireland in terms of landscape or employment opportunities - perhaps that's what brought Cornelius to Scotland. That, and the wee problem wi' the tatties, perhaps. :cry:

Best wishes
Pinkshoes