Admin Group's Warning!

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue May 22, 2007 3:05 am

Hi David,

You're right! It would appear that AVG only protected incoming emails with the free version and the free AVG spyware covered whatever it's supposed to cover, but not my word documents it seems. I did have a look at the full coverage and although I did like AVG, I couldn't tell if it covered Word documents.

Could you please tell me if I have everything I need now? For the last few years I had both Norton Firewall and Norton Works running on my computer and I never knew if I really needed all of it...this time I bought Norton 360 which is an all-in-one-security that seems to have good coverage and covers the following:

Antivirus, Antispyware, Firewall protection, email scanning, Online identity protection, Web site authentication, Automatic backup and restore, 2 GB secured online storage, PC performance tune-ups, Automatic updates, Embedded Support and Antiphising...whatever that is.

I'm just about to install it but I'm wondering if I should also get the Norton Works again to make sure my Word docs are covered, although on the box it does state that it "Protects valuable files from computer disasters...". I'm hoping they mean the Word documents. In your experience, do you think it's necessary to have both? :?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Regards,
Anne

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue May 22, 2007 9:43 am

Anne

If you've got Norton Works running, you should be OK, - just check the setup to ensure that everything that you need is activated.

David

Bob C

Post by Bob C » Tue May 22, 2007 12:28 pm

Anne H wrote:...It would appear that AVG only protected incoming emails with the free version ...

... to make sure my Word docs are covered...

Regards,
Anne
My free version of AVG scans both incoming and outgoing email. Your settings can be confirmed by opening the "Control Center" and reading what the "E-Mail Scanner" box says. It appears that scanning both ways is the default.

To make sure you protect your Word documents open the "Resident Shield" and select "Scan all files" .

I am using Version 7.5.467

Bob C
Searching for Baillie in
Kettle, Collessie, Auchtermuchty and Markinch Fife
South Leith Midlothian
Larbert and Stirling

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed May 23, 2007 2:27 am

Hi David,

Unfortunately, I didn't get the Norton Works this time, only the Norton All-in-One Security, but that seems to be working fine...even tells me that there is "no fraud" with each site I visit. I did notice that my Word docs and Excel are no longer scanned when I first open them, so that must have been the Norton Works in the past. I might end up getting them both again, just to be safe...or contact Norton just to make sure the software I did install is actually scanning my docs.

Regards,
Anne

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed May 23, 2007 2:31 am

Hi Bob,

Thanks for that. I actually uninstalled AVG when I installed Norton so I can't check the areas you mentioned. I'll keep a note of what to do though in case I try AVG again.

Regards,
Anne

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed May 23, 2007 11:33 am

Anne H wrote:Hi David,

Unfortunately, I didn't get the Norton Works this time, only the Norton All-in-One Security, but that seems to be working fine...even tells me that there is "no fraud" with each site I visit. I did notice that my Word docs and Excel are no longer scanned when I first open them, so that must have been the Norton Works in the past. I might end up getting them both again, just to be safe...or contact Norton just to make sure the software I did install is actually scanning my docs.

Regards,
Anne
Norton and their different b****y product names :!:

My Norton Anti-Virus 2007 (at least I think that's what it is, without digging out the paperwork) does include scanning Word and other files when I want to open them, - which, naturally, can sometimes be a bit of of pain in terms of the time it (seems to!) take(s), but then, Ah ain't complaining :!:

David

PS When I recently had a "blue screen of death" scenario, most probably a flaky sector in the boot area of my hard disk, thankfully pulled back from the brink by my computer guru, Norton then decided to throw a fit and insist on being registered, even although it already was, which, surprise, surprise, led to problems. :cry:

It was necessary to re-install Norton, but this was problematic as I wasn't initially able to remove the previous installation to the satisfaction of the Norton website. To avoid any risk of contamination via my broadband link while this was sorted out, I installed AVG, which is still there and now running in parallel with Norton, with no apparant major effect on performance.

It took a full 72 hours or more to sort out the Norton re-installation, - eventually, I had to download a utility from the Symantec site to carry out the de-installation.

My guru has commented that it probably wasn't sufficient to remove Norton package(s), but that I should also have looked for Symantec package(s) to remove ..............

Whatever ...... Norton Anti-virus is now reinstalled and running on an automatic basis of starting a full system scan whenever the 'puter has been idle for more than 90 minutes, which means at least once every 24 hours, overnight ........... plus automatic updates of virus etc definition data.

dww

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Thu May 24, 2007 2:50 am

Hi David,

David wrote:
Norton and their different b****y product names
I know what you mean :)
I installed AVG, which is still there and now running in parallel with Norton, with no apparant major effect on performance.
I still had AVG running when I installed Norton but my PC froze, hence the reason for uninstalling it.

I have to say though that I don't like this new software...the automatic updates ran earlier today and apparently wouldn't take effect until I restarted my PC and when I restarted it, the little icon disappeared from the bottom bar, the Fraud Monitoring didn't show on the Internet and I couldn't tell if my email was being monitored or not. I shut everything down and restarted, and everything was back to normal again...I think! Then when I was up and running I decided to do a Back-Up of my computer...I put the CD in as I was told and the door kept opening up again and I just kept getting the message to put a CD in...I don't think I'm going to have much luck with this. :x

Why can't they just make one package that does everything it's supposed to do...especially for people like me :roll:

Regards,
Anne

StewL

Post by StewL » Sat May 26, 2007 3:52 am

I discarded Norton and McAfee due to a couple of problems, one with Nortons was that it refused to recognise that I had purchased the product and I couldnt re-instal it after a problem I had. As for McAfee it slowed down my computer so much that it was virtually unusable on a number of sites including TS (it took forever and a day just to load a page :evil: )
I then purchased AVG with all the bells and whistles, and it works fine.
Although like DWW it does seem to take ages to load word documents even from my own hard drive.
McAfee also wouldnt let me download and instal a flashplayer I needed to look at data on a family history site. grrrrrrr. As I said on a previous thread it got too good to be of any use.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sun Jun 03, 2007 2:40 am

Hello Everyone,

Just a friendly reminder to be careful of the links you click onto!

Regards
Marilyn

Jeanettem1

Re: Admin Group's Warning!

Post by Jeanettem1 » Thu Apr 02, 2020 8:27 pm

Hi, just new. Genuine member jeanette