Rashfield Farm

The History and Geography of Auld Scotia

Moderators: Global Moderators, Russell

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:43 pm

Hi Anne,
Flora died 29 March 1950, age 89, it states on her death cert that she is the widow of Peter MacKechnie, as yet I have been unable to find Peter's death, but am led to believe that he died in Dunoon, though not sure. Flora died in Benbecula.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .
MACPHERSON, MACPHEE AND CAMPBELL - SOUTH UIST.

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 5:56 pm

Hi again Anne, now I'm confused, just had a look on S.P. at that marriage and all the names fit so it must be him, never heard any mention of this before but when Dad was born and growing up in Benbecula he said that he was never mentioned, is it possible to look up divorces.
RESEARCHING MCEACHERN/MACKECHNIE AND VARIANTS-MULL,OBAN.MCKINNON-MULL, MACARTHUR-KILCHATTAN, MACKILLOP-KILMORE & KILBRIDE
MACPHERSON,MACPHEE,MACDONALD,MACMILLAN,MACINNES, MACAULAY,WILSON,ALL BENBECULA .

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 6:21 pm

A wee question if I may, had Peter been divorced should it have stated so on his other marriage cert to Margaret Thompson, or could he of been a bigamist.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 8:46 pm

It should have said divorced on his second marriage certificate. 'Fraid he might have been a bigamist! When was their child born?

Anne

BTW Have you ever found a birth for Peter? I can't see one.

PPS I can find a death for neither Peter nor Margaret Thomson. Is it possible they cleared off overseas?

Found the birth of Peter and Flora's son Donald in Dunoon in 1894. Was he their only child?

Peter, Maggie and family are in Alloa in 1901. The giveaway was the place of birth of Oban for him.
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:11 pm

Right.

Help I'm struggling here. Can any real expert help us? Lots of bits seem to be missing from this story.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:27 pm

Hi Anne, have done a little digging, first the amswers to your questions:
Peter was born October 5 1872, he was born Peter McEachern, he and Flora had only one child, my Grandfather, Donald. In the digging that I done I found that Peter and Margaret had between the years 1896 and 1903, 6 children, Christina b 1896 ( who I think looking at the 1901 census may have died while still a baby ) Mary b 1897, Donald MacKillop b 1899 ( I think this name was given to Donald MacKillop as Peters mothers maiden name was MacKillop and also he already had a son named Donald ) Maggie Kirkwood b 1900, William Norman b 1902 and Christina Stewart b 1903. I also had a look on S.P. and could not find either Peter or Margarets deaths, the story I heard about Peter being buried in Dunoon maybe bogus I think, will have to look for my Grandfather on the 1901 census in Benbecula as that is where Flora ended up living, though at some point he must have moved back to Glasgow as on his marriage cert to my Gran his employment is given as Mental Asylum Attendant. If he is not in Benbecula will look in the Poor house records for him.

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:27 am

Hi there

Could not let this one drop. There was another Peter McKechnie in Dunoon but he was married to an Isabella and born in Glasgow.

I am almost sure I have found your Peter along with Margaret, Mary, Margaret jnr and William in New York in 1920.

They are in Queens and the details are

McKechnie, Peter. Head
Renting house
Male
White
Married
Immigrated 1911
Alien
Able to read and write
Place of birth; Scotland
Mother tongue; Scotch
Father's place of birth; Scotland
Father's mother tongue; Scotch
Mother's place of birth; Scotland
Mother's mother tongue; Scotch
Able to speak English; Yes
Occupation; Labourer, Contractor

McKechnie, Margaret
Wife
Female
Married
No occupation
Other details as Peter's

McKechnie, Mary
Daughter
Female
Single
Occupation; Machine Hand, Screw Factory
Other details as Peter's

McKechnie, Margaret
Daughter
Female
Occupation; Machine Hand, Screw Factory

McKechnie, William
Son
Male
Single
Occupation; Labourer, Shoe Factory.

Most of the other people in the district seem to be Italian and he lived next to an Italian grocer, lucky them. The Irish undertaker probably does not have quite the same appeal.

So there we have them, across the pond!

Anne
Anne

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:42 am

Oh, this is too much happiness. Also we have Peter's draft registration card from the WWI, which tells us that he was named Peter McKillip McKechnie, born 5 October 1873 in Great Britain. He lived at 40 Jackson Ave, Little Italy, Queens, NY (at least I think that's the address, the image is not clear. ) He is a labourer at Studman, Buchanan & Co. Eleventh Street, Little Italy, Queens, NY. His wife is Margaret McKechnie.

He is described as tall and stout with brown eyes and I think grey hair. He has lost his right eye (presumably in an industrial accident though that information is not given. It could I suppose have been a fight).

Why did none of my ancestors go to America??

Anne
Anne

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu Aug 02, 2007 11:34 am

I'm afraid I've still got to put my hands up to being unable to find Donald and Mary Flora on the 1901 census. I've even looked for all the Donalds or variants born about the right time in Argyll but no sign. I may of course be missing something obvious.

Anne
Anne

d.mackechnie

Rashfield Farm

Post by d.mackechnie » Thu Aug 02, 2007 4:00 pm

Anne, a very big thank you, I have also been unable to find Donald and Mary Flora on the 1901 census, how do I go about getting into American records and looking for the deaths of Peter and Margaret, also see what I can find of the children, will also check Scotlands People to see if the other children died, again, Thank You, your a star.