Robert Wood and Jean Gray.....

Looking for Scottish Ancestors

Moderator: Global Moderators

Graeme M

Robert Wood and Jean Gray.....

Post by Graeme M » Mon Dec 20, 2004 10:47 pm

I am very new to researching my ancestors but inspired by a friend I decided to have a go. Having found you on the internet - I'm a bit new to that too! - I thought I would see if you could help me. I am trying to find out about Robert Wood and Jean Gray. I have documentation for Robert Wood, their son, who is my great grandfather and he was born on 31st July in the Barony district of Glasgow. The area of Anderson might also be possible. I would very much like to trace any siblings with a view to going forward and finding living relatives.

Graeme M

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:35 am

A visit to the IGI website and inputting the parents' names gives six offspring.

MARY SCOTT WOOD - Christening: 05 OCT 1834 Barony, Lanark, Scotland

ROBERT WOOD - Christening: 14 AUG 1836 Barony, Lanark, Scotland

JANET NEILSON WOOD - Christening: 22 OCT 1842 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

JEAN WOOD - Birth: 13 APR 1845 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

ISABELLA WOOD - Birth: 26 FEB 1848 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

HELEN WOOD - Birth: 12 FEB 1853 Glasgow, Lanark, Scotland

This can be found at:
http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/ ... _form=true
and inputting the parents names and the region (British Isles). Hopefully this can lead you further in your research. It is possible that there were more children not shown in this list. The online IGI excludes the sons in some parishes - that includes Glasgow Parish in the 1840s and 1850s. To find these, you will need to visit an LDS Family History Centre, where the full version of the IGI will be found. (That is of course assuming there were other children, they were christened and that the records have survived).

Looking at the distance in time between the births of the girls, I would be very surprised if there were no sons born in between.

All the best,

Andrew Paterson

nelmit

Robert Wood

Post by nelmit » Tue Dec 21, 2004 12:57 am

Hello Graeme,

From the information Andrew supplied there are two possible Roberts on the 1881 census.

One married Marion SHARP in 1861 and the other (whose surname is given as WOODS) married Priscilla PEACOCKin 1863.

It may be worth checking the marriage entries on SP to see if either of them is your Robert Wood.

Good luck
Annette M

Jack

Wood Family censuses

Post by Jack » Tue Dec 21, 2004 1:54 am

Hello Graeme,

Here are your family on 3 censuses. Some more boys as Andrew suspected. James the 1yr old in 1851 may have died young.
--
1841 cens St. George 644-1 Enumeration District 240 page 8
Robert WOOD 30
Jean 25
Mary 6
Robert 4
Charles 1
--
1851 cens St. George 644-1 (537) Ed 25 pg 13
Robert WOOD 42
Jane 36
Mary 16
Robert 14
Charles 11
Janet 8
Jane 6
Isabella 3
James 1
--
1861 cens 644-7 Ed 45 pg 21
Robert WOOD 53, b Renfrewshire
Jean 48, b Glasgow
Robert 25
Charles 21
Janet 18
Jean 16
Isabella 13
Helen 8
[all children b Glasgow too]
--

Jack
-----
ps - where was it you saw TalkingScot on the internet?
-----

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 10:27 am

If you're interested in going back a bit further try a Death search for Robert Wood birth year about 1807 (from the 1861 census).

There are four possibilities but only one with a 644 registration district.

From this the IGI that Andrew pointed out, will lead to Robert's birth/baptism and those of at least three older siblings.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Robert Wood

Post by Guest » Tue Dec 21, 2004 2:14 pm

You guys are just great, one post and so much information - I will have to process all this new information for which I am profoundly grateful.
Joan was right- this is a great site.
Now Robert Wood married Catherine Mcculloch Nicholson 9th Oct 1853 in the Barony district of Glasgow. I found five children - Catherine 1856, Rose Ann 1858, Helen 1860, Matilda 1863 and Robina 1864.
Andrew looking at the dates could I be missing some boys – never thought of that.
Jack – Joan and Alex Holtby pointed me to this site – They have been researching for years in Skye and Glasgow and used Scotlandspeople discussion group for some of their research.

Alcluith

Robert Wood and Jean Gray

Post by Alcluith » Tue Dec 21, 2004 3:54 pm

Andrew, Jack, Andy and Nelmit

Robert Wood and Jean Gray are my wife's grt grt grt maternal grandparents and I haven't been looking at that side of the family for about a year.
Robert's father is also a "Robert Wood" and there are several of candidates but thanks to this exercise I have picked up a couple of new leads.

Thanks to you all - your post were not wasted - incidently Graemes last post is also factual and I had never thought about them having sons.

Alcluith (GraemeM) :(
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Andy

Post by Andy » Tue Dec 21, 2004 4:30 pm

Robert's father was Charles not another Robert. Robert was born 14th AUG 1807 in Kilbarchan, Renfrewshire. Robert and Jean Gray's daughter, Janet, was given her paternal grandmother's name.

Robert's parents married about 27 JAN 1786 in Houston And Killellan, Renfrewshire. The Banns were also read on 7th JAN 1786 in Kilbarchan.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

Alcluith

Charles Wood

Post by Alcluith » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:09 pm

Andy

thanks for that update, I had only gone back as far as Robert and Jean.
I do have Jean's parents but I had moved on to another branch of the family and have never got back to it so I will as "graeme" said, digest all this new information and then maybe start again.

How are you on the shipping I have a mystery for you that I have been puzzling over for a couple of years.
James Burns born County Down but lived most of his adult life in Glasgow, he was a fireman and greaser and I have an entry in the Deaths at Sea for James Burns on 6th Aug 1918 the address looks right but his age is about 10 years out (white lie), death Senile Decay(so that would fit) and it was notified to Ireland and no death certificate.
He was "on the boats" for nearly 30 years but cannot find any shipping companies (he was at home for all the census throguh to 1901 so it wasn't overseas. I have tried most of the Irish and Island routes without any success. Any hints?
Burns, Quinn - Glasgow, N.Ireland
McLeod, Mackay, Nicholson, McNeil - Skye
James, McLeod, Sinclair, Smith - Renton
Davidson,Adie, Gibb - Aberdeen
Jolly Wishart - Angus
Usher - Newcastle
Mullen, Roe - Dublin
O'Donnell - Ireland, Alexandria

Jack

Robert Wood

Post by Jack » Tue Dec 21, 2004 5:49 pm

Hi Drew,

I'm confused already - but as you know that's normal for me....

Who is the Robert who married Catherine in 1853? Was it the son on all 3 censuses? If so, then he must have married awfy young - and where's his wife & children?

Please put me right - ta.

Jack