Lovedale, South Africa

North, Central, South

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dennis

Lovedale, South Africa

Post by Dennis » Sun Mar 23, 2008 4:59 pm

Hi:)

I've run across a John Lennox, b1868, who was the informant for his dad's death in 1917 in Edinburgh. On the dad's DC it has John's address as Lovedale, South Africa.

I'm wondering if John, for whom I can find no death, was a missionary in Lovedale? How would I find out?

All the best. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte
Places of Interest: Dunbarney, Forfar, East London (S.Africa)

Currie

Post by Currie » Mon Mar 24, 2008 4:11 am

Hello Dennis,

If you haven’t been there already you should urgently check out this freebee as it probably doesn’t have much longer to run.

http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=11449

Search for the string LENNOX AND LOVEDALE and anything else that comes to mind in British Newspapers 1600-1900. There’s an 1895 marriage notice in the Glasgow Herald regarding a Rev John Lennox and Jessie Gibson at Lovedale. There should be more to be found.

Alan

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Mon Mar 24, 2008 5:25 am

Alan,

Thank you:) It is still active.

Regards. dennis

Where can I look to see the actual records of MC ?

Regards. dennis
Names of interest: Lennox McKenna Airth Skirving Veitch Laird Drysdale Bennett Colledge Baird Blades Barker Dow Mitchell Perkins Rielly Stewart Tulloch Wright Ure, Ritch Richardson, Whyte

Currie

Post by Currie » Thu Apr 24, 2008 2:08 pm

Hello Dennis,

I clicked on this post thinking it was for 24th April and noticed I hadn’t responded to your question about the actual marriage record. If you haven’t got any further with this there are some links in the Africa sticky concerning SA research in particular http://www.rupert.net/~lkool/page2.html Also check the recent Africa postings. Looks like a relatively difficult area to research but some have had some success. If you google lovedale lennox and variations you’ll find bits and pieces regarding his career.

I checked the London Times (forgetting it was also available in the freebee – and still is - so you probably have these.)

Death notice, 15 February, 1941.
LENNOX.---On Feb. 10, 1941, at Johannesburg, the Rev. Dr. John Lennox, O.B.E., formerly of Lovedale and Fort Hare, South Africa.

On 27th July, 1936 there’s a lengthier notice of a marriage he officiated at in Edinburgh on 25th between Mckenzie-Grieve and Mackay. He was described as Rev. John Lennox, O.B.E., D.D., Lovedale, Cape Colony.

14th March, 1936 – Obtained D.D. degree Uni. of Edinburgh. (also has M.A.)

24th December 1904 – In connection with church matters.

Hope this helps,
Alan

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:21 am

Hello,

As his death was extensively covered in the Scotsman then should there be a death record at the GRO?

All the best in 2009!!! dennis

Currie

Post by Currie » Sat Jan 03, 2009 3:00 am

Hello Dennis,

A newspaper is just a newspaper and I think it would be safe to say they have no connection to any BMD registration system anywhere on the planet. For instance they don’t check the death notices and cross people off the birth registers or note them down in some sort of a death register or anything like that. Even at the place he died if the embassy learned of his death I doubt they would send back any information unless there was some very particular reason or if the relatives volunteered to notify them through official channels.

But I think the point you’re making is that if a relative put a death notice of someone of Scottish origin who died overseas in a Scottish newspaper there would be a reasonable chance they might also report the death to the local British Embassy or whatever and that it would end up with GROS. Maybe there is but there again there’s no real connection because both events are entirely voluntary and separate.

If the individual, or to be more relevant his surviving relatives, have had nothing to do with or any particular association to the UK authorities in the recent past and if Scotland or else where in the United Kingdom is no longer “home” other than in a sentimental sense I think they would be unlikely to report the death to the local embassy in an official sense especially if there were a death registration system in their country of residence.

Hope that makes sense and Happy New Year,
Alan

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:32 am

The Mundus website is often a good starting point to help track down Missionaries http://www.mundus.ac.uk/index.html but I'm not seeing anything obvious with the name you gave.

Best wishes
Lesley

Dennis

Post by Dennis » Sat Feb 28, 2009 8:50 pm

Hi;

I have managed to find John's grand daughter in the UK and it all came from a wedding announcement in the London Times.

dennis

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:19 pm

\:D/ =D> Good news, Dennis!
Thanks for the update. Always nice to know when the brick wall comes tumbling down and the connection is finally made.

Best wishes,
Sarah

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:26 am

You're a patient man, Dennis! Glad you found something at last :)
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow