Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2008)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

Moray_Lass

Post by Moray_Lass » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi I have just joined but that been browsing off and on for a few months. I think I first heard about it via Scotlandspeople. And when I got a tip that helped me find a cert on SP I had to join.

Maggie
Maggie

Parental -
Moray, Bellie/Boharm:- Symon, Thomson, Davidson, Gordon, Laing, Dick, Thom, Geddes.
Banffshire, Rothiemay:- Lobban, Symon
Maternal -
'Finechty Flett's'
Banffshire:- Flett, Taylor, Wood, Lorimer, Falconer

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sun Apr 06, 2008 6:21 pm

Hi Hugo, and a warm welcome from us all [talkingscot]

Hope you'll enjoy reading the posts and adding to the discussions and queries whenever the notion strikes. :lol:

We've a great group of people interested in helping out and making connections - both for themselves and others.

All the best,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

hg

Post by hg » Sun Apr 06, 2008 8:18 pm

Hi Andrew,

I joined talking scot at the beginning of March. I found the link on Scotlandspeople. I only started my research last Decemnber and have had so much help on talking scot. I am amazed at the knowledge that is out there.

regards

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

AliC

Post by AliC » Mon Apr 07, 2008 11:27 pm

Hi Andrew,

Just joined after seeing the link on Central Scotland Family History website. Have been researching on and off for years..... first memory of NRH was standing in the dome looking up BMDs in the big old books, then waiting to be brought the fiche or microfilm!!! How times have changed, and it wasn't that long ago either !!!

Looking forward to some help and advice on some of my brickwalls.

Would be interested in help and advice on one-name studies as I seem to have looked up every Cheap/Cheape that ever existed in scotland.

Regards
Alison
A work in Progress :- Cheape/Johnston/ Fife, Paton/ Wright/ Stirling, Low/ Angus, Ross/Isdale/ Auchterarder and too many more to mention !!

Bartmac

Post by Bartmac » Mon May 12, 2008 7:37 pm

Like most others, found the link to this site via Scotlands People, had lots of help since joining, and have now found, on here, a link to the Threetowners site which I am thinking will be very informative in my research.

Great site, keep it up! Regards John :D

Haggis McBagpipe

Post by Haggis McBagpipe » Sun Jun 01, 2008 3:49 pm

Found you through the ScotlandsPeople site. A more addictive site than ScotlandsPeople doesn't exist, although I suspect this forum will soon be in competition for the title.

I'm reminded of Las Vegas slot machines every time I sign away for another bag o' credits at ScotlandsPeople. I enjoy their message, 'this will cost one credit - are you *sure* you want to throw it away on a whim?'. You can almost hear their software snickering, because it knows that you, at one credit click from finding out what the heck your great-great-great was up to, are going to click that button.
Old as dirt. Twice as gritty.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sun Jun 01, 2008 7:16 pm

Hi Haggis
...and welcome to Talking Scot. :D
I'm sure we all know that feeling you describe! Well, never mind.... at least here on TS, advice, help and support for those tricky bits in your tree is freely given!

We're sure you will settle in in no time.

Best wishes
Lesley

david macdiarmid

Post by david macdiarmid » Tue Jun 03, 2008 1:12 am

Hi Andrew,I suppose this is not strictly fair but it will boost your ratings.I have not been on TS for a while due to life changing circumstances May 2007.I by chance responded to an ad in Cupar (Fife) library in 2006, to learn genealogy via IT.A tall order as computers seem to dislike me.The Tutor was the most enthusiastic person in this field that i have ever met.(she is a TS behind the scenes person).I must share this with you,around about the last class,we were all asked for a name to be typed into another site,online,i shouted out this obscure French family's name,the Tutor looked at me as if to say "aye right".With the touch on the keyboard,two people were looking for my family.Impressed or what ! :D Needless to say i was hooked,lined and sinkered,David
Banks,Bennet-Clark,Bird,Cholat,Clark,Clay,Dupre,Dupuis,Fraser,Grant,Gunn,Hooper
Kelly,Leburn,Livingston,MacDonald,Paris,Reymond,Russell,Sommerville,Sutherland & Watson.All Scottish searches,apart from the four obvious French names.Merci Beaucoup !!!

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Tue Jun 03, 2008 6:33 am

Hi David,

Welcome (back) to TalkingScot. [scotland-flag]

All the best,

AndrewP

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Tue Jun 03, 2008 11:32 am

Hi David
Good to see you back on TS! :D

Best wishes