Ernest Russell Lyon ( 1923-1944)

Share your success stories here.

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Wed Nov 12, 2008 11:08 pm

Hi Puffin

Congratulations on this wonderful outcome of all of your hard work. The stele is beautiful and a fitting memorial for your uncle and the other young men who died in the RAF.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

puffin

Ernest Russell Lyon 1922-1944

Post by puffin » Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:57 am

Russell,

Thank you for your postings a while ago.

On Sunday my daughter and her husband had their first child.

Amongt the given Christian names given to the new child is Oman, which, I am told, derives from the Orkneys/Shetlands and the Vikings. As this name appears on your list of surnames I thought that you might be interested?

Puffin

Russell

Post by Russell » Wed Nov 19, 2008 1:45 am

Hi Puffin

I have not commented recently but have been watching this lovely, heart-warming story unfold. The photos gave some feel of the occasion.
Who says it's just the Brits who can stage an event :!: :!:

I'm interested in the Oman name. Mine is from Caithness but I suspect it was originally from Orkney. It is certainly Scandinavian back in the mists of time as quite a few turn up in the States census returns from Sweden.
My New Zealand cousin didn't like it as part of her name and changed her name, but I like it. My great grandfather was George Oman - a professional photographer in Edinburgh and he is the nearest thing I have to a famous ancestor :shock:

I hope you enjoy grandfatherhood as much as I enjoy my three grandchildren. They are the only detractors I have from my genealogy :!:

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

puffin

Post by puffin » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:40 pm

I have been forwarded this website link this evening, from the Larmor Plage website:

http://larmor-plage-blog-citoyen.com:80 ... ussel-lyon

There are some excellent images of the Ceremony of 8th November here to add to those already posted.

And thanks to Russell for your recent comments.

Puffin

puffin

Post by puffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 3:06 pm

........and another link has been sent to me this morning.

http://www.larmor-plage.com/Actualite.3 ... 83a.0.html

This is to the Larmor Plage Municipality Website and on this there is a link to a slideshow with some excellent photos.

Puffin

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Nov 21, 2008 4:34 pm

WOW

They really put on a display for Russell. No wonder you are proud.

The slide show told the story of the event and even my rusty French managed most of the description. They made sure that all the relevant folks were able to participate.

This has been some story . Thank you for keeping us up-to-date with the unfolding events.
We tend to forget/overlook that France was more profoundly affected by wartime events than we were.

Russell

puffin

Post by puffin » Fri Nov 21, 2008 8:09 pm

Thanks Russell,

Your Wow is an understatement, it has been the most marvellous story for me since it started two years or so ago with the Remembrance Day posting on this site, and then unfolding piece by piece.

But we still patiently await the outcome of the Mod Enquiry for the possible grave identification.

But another Wow moment is approaching for me, as on Monday....weather and other matters permitting......I am due to be taken up as a passenger for a sortie of one hour in an RAF Red Hawk jet.

More to follow next week if I can adjust my camera's shutter speed to cope with the speed of flight.

This will either be the flight or fright of my life.

Puffin

Russell

Post by Russell » Fri Nov 21, 2008 9:59 pm

What a combination :shock:

An amalgam of living hisstory (deliberate !) Family history and life changing experiences.
You must be \:D/ \:D/ \:D/

Will there be room for a stowaway or two :mrgreen:

Have a wonderful flight.

Russell
P.S. Do we call you Squadron leader Puffin now :lol:

puffin

Post by puffin » Fri Nov 28, 2008 1:17 am

For those awaiting a report of the flight I have to say that Puffin has still to take to the air in the Red Hawk. 8)

Monday was just the beginning of the process.............

There are still a number of checks being made...........pressures, rigidity of the frame, ability to withstand high G-Forces and so on before take-off clearance for Puffin in this jet is given by the authorities. 8)

Fingers crossed that clearance will be given and, perhaps in the New Year a more positive report and pictures can be posted and shared with this string. 8)

In the meantime my wings are still safely tucked away. 8)

Puffin

DavidWW

Re: Ernest Russell Lyon 1922-1944

Post by DavidWW » Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:32 pm

puffin wrote:I have been forwarded this website link this evening, from the Larmor Plage website:

http://larmor-plage-blog-citoyen.com:80 ... ussel-lyon

There are some excellent images of the Ceremony of 8th November here to add to those already posted.

And thanks to Russell for your recent comments.

Puffin
My connection to this situation is that I'm Puffin's first cousin. [edited to protect Puffin's identity.]

Following a thread that I started a few years ago in conjunction with Remembrance Day, 11th November, to commemorate relatives, Puffin joined in, with details of Pilot Officer LYON. A French researcher picked up on Richard's post, with everything here following from that.

I was priviledged to be present at the ceremonies in Larmor Plage over the weekend. For the LYON family members present I acted as the video operater using the equipment very kindly provided by Anglian TV.

On the site referred to here, the 9th photo, - 8th if that of the plate on the stele is discounted, - shows a somewhat surprised mayor of Larmor Plage being later presented by me, in reasonably fluent French, of a bottle of a rather expensive single malt! His initial reaction was to share it with everyone, but he was presuaded to take it home and enjoy it later !

During the earlier ceremony, it brought tears to my eyes to hear, on several occasions in relation to PO LYON, the phrase 'mort pour la France', thus indicating the value that the French placed on his sacrifice.

Orraverybest

David

David W Webster
Last edited by DavidWW on Thu Jan 08, 2009 1:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.