New Zealand Records

Pacific and Antarctic Ocean

Moderator: Global Moderators

Orlaith17

New Zealand Records

Post by Orlaith17 » Mon Feb 15, 2016 3:05 pm

I got some great advice here before on family members who emigrated to New Zealand years ago. Hoping someone can advise again. My grandmothers cousin Owen McTaggart, emigrated to New Zealand some time around 1930. I have his and his wife's death details and a photo of his gravestone. He died in Otago, Dunedin. His son Owen was born 1929 in Scotland and travelled to New Zealand as a baby with his mother to join his father there. I have never found anything on Owen junior. But interestingly today, I stumbled across a New Zealand cemetery record showing a young man named as Gary Owen McTaggart, who died in 1970, aged 16. As his death was also in Otago, I am convinced this must be the son of Owen junior, who was born in 1929. Can anyone help me with any links to try to find out more? I know which cemetery he is in, but nothing about his parents, or cause of death. Anything on Owen McTaggart junior (born 1929))or Gary Owen (his son, born 1954)would be greatly appreciated. If anyone else is researching this family, please don't hesitate to get in touch as I am happy to share information and photos that I have.

paddyscar
Site Admin

Re: New Zealand Records

Post by paddyscar » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:41 am

Hello Orlaith:

Don't really have anything to offer, but have you looked through NZ sources shown on this page http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=21 ? Might be helpful until someone with more direct knowledge comes along.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Tue Feb 16, 2016 12:43 pm

Thank you. I'll have a look. I am hopeful of finding living relatives there to exchange information with.

Currie

Post by Currie » Tue Feb 16, 2016 1:53 pm

Maybe you could try the Funeral Director.
http://www.dunedin.govt.nz/facilities/c ... ype=Burial

They are still in business.
https://www.google.com.au/maps/@-45.877 ... 312!8i6656

Alan

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:30 pm

Greetings from New Zealand.

As always too many half done projects on the go, and still trying to farm despite being on the pension.

As I've now got to some brick wall in Scotland, I'm not back here as often as in the past, but only too happy to return favours by assisting with NZ research, where able.

With regards to this request as I live in the upper North Island and your subject quest is in the lower South Island, the research would be best handled by a local. Most of our on line access material stops about WWII for privacy laws reasons, so it's best if a researcher is handy to the local libraries and archives for personal look-ups. Also active Genealogy Society members will have access to a great assortment of locally transcribed records, electoral rolls etc.

Please feel free to contact me by private messaging, and I'll see if I can arrange an introduction through my contacts.

Regards,

Alan SHARP.

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Sat Feb 20, 2016 3:19 pm

Alan, thank you so much for your help in this. I have had regular contact by email from a researcher in New Zealand who has been most helpful. I noticed you said you had come up against a brick wall in Scotland in your research. Can I help? Please feel free to pm me and I will help if I can.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:12 pm

Greetings.

The kiwi bush telegraph has just informed me that contact information supplied, has resulted in correspondence from New Zealand that included a supply of family photographs which are much appreciated.

I'm pleased that we, down under, were able to assist your research. What goes around, comes around.

All the best.

Alan SHARP.

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Wed Jul 20, 2016 1:39 pm

Yes indeed, Alan. I can't thank you guys enough for your assistance. Receiving that package of photos from New Zealand was like winning the lottery for me. These were pics of relatives and ancestors that I never expected to see. I sent Interflora flowers to thank the lady who sent them, and she was delighted. I also sent some traditional Scottish confectionery for her elderly father, born in Scotland, but emigrated to NZ at a year old. She told me in letter that he was known as "Scotty" and was very proud of his Scottish heritage. He loved the sweets I sent. Correspondence is ongoing, and will hopefully continue long term. Please don't hesitate to let me know if there is any assistance I can give to you or anyone else there researching Scottish ancestry.

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Tue Jul 26, 2016 1:42 am

You are WELCOME, as is a helping hand.

Been an extremely busy time for me of late, with enforced time out adding to my schedule. In March had both eyes done for cataracts, and am now again in recovery mode having had Dupuytren's surgery on my hand. That and the Haemochromotosis discovered two years ago, all down to those UK genes being handed down.

Expertise / help from Scotland never goes amiss down under, and of late my former advisor has not been returning my calls. I hope he is OK.

Alan SHARP

Alan SHARP

Post by Alan SHARP » Wed Mar 27, 2019 9:47 pm

Greetings.

Just checking in. I don't stop by very often these days, as my research in Scotland ran out of 1700's records, that I could conclusively tie to family that emigrated in the 1840's to 1860's.

Now VERY active using Archives NZ records to re-discover our pioneering ancesters, and how they pioneered farming the newly settled bush land. My biggest day recently, was photographing 280 pages in a non contents indexed, miscellaneous correspondence land file.

My TalkingScot email address for service is still active, so Private messages still get through to me, should you have a need to do research in NZ records, I probably could point you in the right diretion.

Just a little offer in return, for the tremendous help TS offered me all those years ago.

Alan SHARP.