Tuberculosis Deaths 1940s/1950s Glasgow

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

hamishwaz

Tuberculosis Deaths 1940s/1950s Glasgow

Post by hamishwaz » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:08 pm

Hi Guys,
I have a family of 15 in Glasgow I am researching 12 of which I have found burial entries in the book for St Peter's Dalbeth Cemetery. You would assume the other 3 would have been buried there also but there is no record however, the 3 that are missing all died from tuberculosis in different years. Does anyone know if bodies related to TB deaths were held back and buried/cremated elsewhere in the 40s/50s and where that place/process might be? I know one of them died in Ruchill Hospital but that's all I've been able to find.

TIA
Searching for Downie, Coyle, Berekis, McCurdy, McCormick, McNinch, Parker

WilmaM

Re: Tuberculosis Deaths 1940s/1950s Glasgow

Post by WilmaM » Fri Jan 21, 2022 11:36 pm

Speaking from experience, the family member who died of TB in the mid 1950's was interred in the family lair at Cardonald, Glasgow in the usual time frame.
I know there are urban myths that such infectious conditions had to be cremated/buried in a lead coffin or in a separate graveyard etc but they are just myths.
It could be though that they were buried near to the hospital where they died for convenience sake, or if the family never claimed the body for burial.

Perhaps there would be a newspaper notice of the deaths, and funeral arrangements, the Glasgow herald archive can be found here: https://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=GGgVawPscysC

Depending too on time frames they could be buried with other family in other cemeteries if there was 'spare' space.
Wilma