Industrial Schools

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

rosie

Industrial Schools

Post by rosie » Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 pm

Hi everyone

Does anyone have any information on Paisley Industrial School.

According to the poor law record i have my ancestor was sent here for stealing from his mother and neighbours when he was just 9yrs old :( . He was commited there until the age of 16yrs.

The information i have about industrial schools is very patchy, any help would be apprieciated :D

Thankyou Rosie
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

Rockford

Re: Industrial Schools

Post by Rockford » Fri May 27, 2011 1:11 pm

Hi Rosie,

There have been a couple of Industrial Schools in Paisley - the ones I know about are:

Thornly Park School which was to the south of the town on the road to Barrhead. It was where the University's Halls of Residence now are, so there's maybe an irony in that! Thornly Park was there until comparatively recently, although it was closed after it burned down as far as I know.

Kibble School, which opened in the late 1850's. It's at the north end of the town almost directly opposite Glasgow Airport across the M8. Kibble is still going strong offering a wide range of services to young people and has a website at www.kibble.org . I also know that they had a social history project looking at some of the archives and I think you can search basic historical records on their website.

You could also contact the local studies library at Renfrewshire Council and you'll find their details here http://www.renfrewshire.gov.uk/ilwwcm/p ... ryHomePage

They may know of other schools that existed around the time of your relation's admission.

Best wishes

Brian
SMITH - Luss/Lanarkshire
BURNSIDE - Londonderry/Lothian
SWEENEY - Donegal/Monklands
GILCHRIST - Lanark/Lothians/Peebles
HUNTER/GWYNNE - Monklands/Fife/Stirling
LOGIE/DUNLOP/YOUNG/THOMSON - Lothian

rosie

Post by rosie » Fri May 27, 2011 2:00 pm

Thanks Brian for your prompt reply. I will try these web sites out

Rosie :D
SEARCHING: CLARK(DUMBARTONSHIRE AND IRELAND )DONNELLY(LANARK) BAIRD( LANARK AND NEWKILPTRICK)COWAN(ANDERSTON AND IRELAND)COOK( ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS)ANGUS(ANDERSTON AND CAITHNESS) GAULT or GALT( PARTICK AND NEWKILPATRICK)

hector

Post by hector » Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 pm

i was at thornly park approved school for two half years,i ran away home to dundee and was given the belt over the back side when i was caught i was let out in 1966 everybody had a number i was number 10

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Nov 20, 2020 8:25 pm

hector wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 pm
i was at thornly park approved school for two half years,i ran away home to dundee and was given the belt over the back side when i was caught i was let out in 1966 everybody had a number i was number 10
What’s your view of being there? Did it change you or was it all a waste of time?
Elwyn

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 11:27 am

rosie wrote:
Fri May 27, 2011 12:46 pm
Hi everyone

Does anyone have any information on Paisley Industrial School.

According to the poor law record i have my ancestor was sent here for stealing from his mother and neighbours when he was just 9yrs old :( . He was commited there until the age of 16yrs.

The information i have about industrial schools is very patchy, any help would be apprieciated :D

Thankyou Rosie
Although the original post was an older one do you have any dates for those involved ? As said by others there were different establishments at different time periods. The first was around 1847 and was part of the Poorhouse setup. The Kibble was set up more as a Reformatory than Industrial School around 1859, Thornly Park came around about 1912 although both were to become "list D" schools in the 1960's

https://www.paisley.org.uk/paisley-hist ... ed-school/ has a little more information.
~RJ Paton~

grissel

Post by grissel » Sat Nov 21, 2020 12:34 pm

Hello Falkyrn

Thank you for replying .

Although it was sometime ago that I had enquired , it is still an ongoing subject for me as I haven't found the answeres yet .

My ancestor was committed to Paisley Industrial school on the 28/6/1917 according to the poor law record I have . He was nine years old . He was sent thre for Stealing.

Im still not sure which one he wents however the dates of the other schools narrow it down . Thankyou for taking the time to reply

Rosie

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Sat Nov 21, 2020 3:02 pm

I think the two main options for that time would have been The Kibble and Thornly Park.

Depending upon the name actually used in the documents Thornly park may be the best contender as its official title was "The Paisley Industrial School" while the Kibble was known as the The Kibble Reformatory (The Kibble was initially set up as a private enterprise while Thornly Park was Council funded)

http://www.childrenshomes.org.uk/PaisleyIS/?LMCL=e7LSGx has some background and history
~RJ Paton~

danda

Post by danda » Wed Aug 03, 2022 5:51 am

hector wrote:
Fri Nov 20, 2020 6:04 pm
Was your surname Petrie ?if so I remember you well