A new question for you clever people :)

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Scottygirl56

Re: A new question for you clever people :)

Post by Scottygirl56 » Thu May 19, 2011 5:56 am

I am actually more curious than ever now to know more about Christian. James certainly does not seem to be the kind of man who would have had an illegitimate child (also given that his grandfather, Walter Morrison, was a man of the cloth). I am thinking that he was previously married but then if that was the case, Christian would be counted as his daughter when announcements were made etc. Also she would not have been listed under the other children on the census (or would she if she was not the child of Elsie?). And now I wonder who was this Janet Davidson who was her mother! Perhaps a married lady who died and James and Elsie adopted her as the husband could not cope? I did see a child born to a Janet Davidson (married name) in 1829 in that area, perhaps she died? Does anyone else hate all of these "what ifs" when it comes to family history?

Luckily it really does not matter and there is no hurry because as my partner constantly reminds me.... they are all dead.
Researching: Pringle, Scott, Bowis/Bow, Halkett, Ballantyne to name a few.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 19, 2011 6:12 am

Hi Lynda,
So her death certificate gave her father as James Morrison, surgeon and her mother as Janet Davidson, or did it say Janet Morrison, M(aiden) S(urname) Davidson? Who was the informant? Death certificates are only as accurate as the knowledge of the informant, since by then Christian couldn't speak up herself! Too bad her marriage was just too early to record the names of her parents :(

All the best,
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:22 am

Her death certificate says: Father = James Morrison. Mother = Janet Morrison, maiden surname Davidson. I'm pretty sure it is "Janet" that it reads.

Christian's daughter Angelica was the informant.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 19, 2011 6:37 am

Hmmm, so no profession given for father James? It would certainly help pin him down, just in case she was the daughter of his cousin James or someone like that with the same name. Too bad the 1841 census doesn't give relationships!

Regards,
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Thu May 19, 2011 6:50 am

Oh yes, sorry - James is down as a surgeon on her death certificate. I also have her marriage certicate which states "daughter of James Morrison, Surgeon of Guise".

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Thu May 19, 2011 7:08 am

Ah! That sounds pretty convincing then. One more question: Do you have James and Elsie's marriage record? Just wondering whether or not they were Church of Scotland. If you can't find the record in the OPRs, then it might mean they belonged to another church. I have relatives in Aberdeenshire who were Episcopalians and are much harder to track down for that reason. That could also be why you can't find Christian's birth.

Well, it's late here and I'm off to bed. Maybe while I sleep Sally will come up with another miracle :wink: It worked yesterday!

[cheers]
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Thu May 19, 2011 7:16 am

Thanks for helping. I just had a thought - Elsie is short for Elizabeth/Elspeth in Scotland so I will start looking under Elizabeth for a marriage record etc.

Not sure of the religion but he himself is in the old Parish records - son of William Morison (with one r) and Mary Skene.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu May 19, 2011 12:02 pm

Hi Scottygirl
You could make use of wildcards and instead of searching for specific names just use the letters you know are likley to be present. SP allows you to choose a wildcards option, so try that with firstname as El* ...remembering too that there is a chance she may tun up as Beth or Betsie!

Best wishes
Lesley

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu May 19, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm not sure you'll find the marriage, if they married at Alford where the children were christened, as there seems to be a gap in the records.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... deen.htm#A

They do charge fees but it might be worth contacting Aberdeen Family History Society regarding the Kirk Sessions.

Many Scottish Kirk Session records have now been digitised but I don't think any of the cities are available yet. I'll check at The Mitchell next time I go.

When I found Christian in later census records I was intrigued by her daughter Angelica's name. I believe she must have been named after Angelica Dingwall Fordyce Harvey who owned Kinnettles House. Her husband made his fortune in the West Indies.

The romantic side of me says she ran away with the gardener - I see Lewis was working at Tough in 1851. Have you found Christian in 1851?

There's definitely a Bronte novel in this story somewhere! :D

Regards,
Annette

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Thu May 19, 2011 11:43 pm

Thanks Annette - I have all of Christians details right up to her death in Edinburgh in 1885 except the 1851 census. I must have another look for that. She and Lewis had Angelica, James, Alexander, William and Jane. I think I would like to look at her life a little more now too because as you said, Angelica might have come from who you said. If Christian did run away with the gardener, she still had her father's name on her marriage notice. I notice the other two girls became dressmakers with a lady - thier Aunt it says on a census but I can't figure out the connection.

Don't you just love it that there really is a Bronte novel in all our stories - or a Jane Austin :)