A new question for you clever people :)

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

nelmit

Re: A new question for you clever people :)

Post by nelmit » Fri May 20, 2011 12:02 am

In 1851 Jessie and Mary were living with their aunt - Helen Morrison/Colston.

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Fri May 20, 2011 12:27 am

Oh you are too clever - I have no family listed at all for James ie, sister, brothers - so didn't know who the aunt was. Are you saying it is James' sister? I haven't time to look into this right now but clearly I need to!
Researching: Pringle, Scott, Bowis/Bow, Halkett, Ballantyne to name a few.

speleobat2

Post by speleobat2 » Fri May 20, 2011 1:40 am

How about this one for 1851:

1851 Scotland Census 1851 Scotland Census
Name: Christian Morison
Estimated Birth Year: abt 1831
Relationship: Servant
Where born: Tullynessle, Aberdeenshire
Parish Number: 246
Civil parish: Tullynessle and Forbes
County: Aberdeenshire
Address: Greystone
ED: 2
Page: 5 (click to see others on page)
Household schedule number: 17
Line: 15
Roll: CSSCT1851_52
Household Members: Name Age
William Ingram 42
James Ingram 32
Alexander Mitchell 20
William Hinderson 17
Alexander Sherrif 20
Ann Ellis 28
Christian Morison 20

This has Christian born in Tullynessle which is very near Alford and Inverurie. Also, there are many Davidsons in that area--too many as I found out when I was trying to sort mine out!

Carol :D
Looking for: Clerihew, Longmuir/Longmore, Chalmers, Milne, Barclay in Newhills,
Munro, Cadenhead, Raitt, Ririe/Reary

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 am

I'm thinking about that one... Elsie the mother/stepmother was born at Tullynessle (written as Fullyrilde, Aberdeen on translation on Ancestry 1851). It really is a guess. The only thing is that in all subsequent census's Christian has only ever entered Aberdeen as her place of birth and on one, she wrote uk town - presumable meaning that she did not know where? The mystery continues....

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri May 20, 2011 4:01 am

This from the NAS catalogue:

Reference: CH2/358
Title: Records of Tullynessle, latterly Tullynessle and Forbes, Kirk Session
Date: 1759-1866

So they should be available :D

Cheers,
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:13 am

Sorry Sarah - could you explain what you mean? I don't understand where to get these archives.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri May 20, 2011 4:29 am

They are at the National Archives of Scotland, http://www.nas.gov.uk/ so would be available to read on the computers in either in the Scotlands People Centre in Edinburgh or at the Mitchell library in Glasgow. I know this doesn't help you instantly, since you are far from either of these places, but it does look as though the records survive from this parish and that time, which is encouraging. Someone with the opportunity may be able to find something for you.

Cheers,
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Fri May 20, 2011 4:38 am

Thank you Sarah - you never know I may make the trip there myself before too long! I am not sure even what area to look at though - Alford or Tullynestle.

Thanks everyone for all of your help. I have filled in so many gaps with this and have many more gaps with other family lines. I've made amazing progress though from only knowing that my Grandmother got married in Scotland and no knowledge at all about any other family members. I have now taken all family lines back to 1700s (with certainty and documentation) and am pretty pleased with that!! :D

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri May 20, 2011 5:03 am

Scottygirl56 wrote:Thank you Sarah - you never know I may make the trip there myself before too long! I am not sure even what area to look at though - Alford or Tullynestle.
I hope you do! The great thing is that you can pay your day's admission and look at as many records as you have time for! Look at both Alford and Tullynestle, as well as any others that strike your fancy :D I guarantee it will be entertaining reading, whether or not you find mention of Christian!

[cheers]
Sarah

Scottygirl56

Post by Scottygirl56 » Mon May 23, 2011 12:21 am

nelmit wrote:I'm not sure you'll find the marriage, if they married at Alford where the children were christened, as there seems to be a gap in the records.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.anc ... deen.htm#A

They do charge fees but it might be worth contacting Aberdeen Family History Society regarding the Kirk Sessions.

Many Scottish Kirk Session records have now been digitised but I don't think any of the cities are available yet. I'll check at The Mitchell next time I go.

When I found Christian in later census records I was intrigued by her daughter Angelica's name. I believe she must have been named after Angelica Dingwall Fordyce Harvey who owned Kinnettles House. Her husband made his fortune in the West Indies.

The romantic side of me says she ran away with the gardener - I see Lewis was working at Tough in 1851. Have you found Christian in 1851?

There's definitely a Bronte novel in this story somewhere! :D

Regards,
Annette

Hello Annette - I did a bit more research on your comment re Angelica's name and you are absolutely correct! I found that Angelica was born at Kinettles - now her father, Lewis was a gardener so was probably working on the garden at the Kinnetles house. More interesting is that I have found that Angelics's son, John Inglis Harvey, was in the East India Company - probably at the same time as James Morrison!! Probably how Lewis and Christian got to be at Kinnettles. Another link is that as their money was made in the West Indies, there could also be a connection with Mary marrying a plantation grower from there around the same time.

Thank you for that gem of information - I love filling in gaps about how people lived.

Lynda