Taylor Family Edinburgh

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

ptscts

Taylor Family Edinburgh

Post by ptscts » Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 pm

I'm trying to track down information on my great Grandfather Alexander Boyd Taylor. He was a publican and at one time ran the Tolbooth tavern and I think the Argyle Arms in Edinburgh. His sons were Thomas Smith Taylor, Alexander Fairgrieve Taylor, Robert Allan Taylor, William Henderson Taylor, Herbert Taylor and my grandfather Alfred Taylor. Apparently My Grandfather was estranged from the rest of his family, so we have no background. With that many sons I'm thinking I must be related to a fair few Taylors in Edinburgh, anybody recognise the names and have partial family trees to tie up with mine. I think I can go back perhaps another 5 generations from AB Taylor (mainly in Eeast Lothian I think)
Paul

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Taylor Family Edinburgh

Post by SarahND » Wed Jul 03, 2013 10:02 pm

Hello Paul and [TS_welcome]
It's always a good idea to add approximate dates to your posts to make them clear for others. Here is the family in 1901-- hope it will ring a bell with someone!

3 West Savile Rd, Newington, Edinburgh
Alex B Taylor, 46, Head, born Edinburgh, Wine & Spirit Merchant
Agnes Taylor, 42, Wife, born Uphall, Midlothian
Thos S Taylor, 13, Son, born Edinburgh, Scholar
Alex F Taylor, 11, Son, born Edinburgh, Scholar
Robt A Taylor, 10, Son, born Edinburgh, Scholar
Wm H Taylor, 8, Son, born Edinburgh, Scholar
Herbert Taylor, 6, Son, born Edinburgh
Alfred Taylor, 4, Son, born Edinburgh

Agnes must have felt outnumbered in that household of boys!

All the best,
Sarah

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Thu Jul 04, 2013 7:14 pm

Sadly Alexander Fairgrieve Taylor died in 1913 after being run over by a taxi. He was living at 58 Broughton Street at the time.

William Henderson Taylor followed in has father's footsteps and got a licence for The Harrow Hotel at Dalkieth in 1939.

I'm not good at extracting the newspaper articles but hopefully Alan, or somebody more capable than me, will come along soon.

Regards,
Annette

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:34 am

Hello Annette,

This is them.

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 03 March, 1913.
MOTOR ACCIDENT IN EDINBURGH.—A man, twenty-three years of age, named Alexander Fairgrieve Taylor, a compositor, who resided at 58 Broughton Street, Edinburgh, was received into the Royal Infirmary last night suffering from injuries to his head, which he had sustained by being knocked down in Abbey Street by a taxi-cab.

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 04 March, 1913.
FATAL RESULT OF EDINBURGH ACCIDENT.—Alexander Fairgrieve Taylor (23), a compositor, who resided at 58 Broughton Street, Edinburgh, and who was admitted to the Royal Infirmary on Sunday evening suffering from injuries sustained by his being knocked down by a motor taxi-cab, died at the institution early yesterday morning. It seems that the accident occurred when the driver of the cab was attempting to avoid running into a boy. The cab ran over deceased's legs, and he also sustained concussion of the brain.

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 26 April, 1913.
EDINBURGH MOTOR CAB DRIVER ACQUITTED.— Evidence was heard by Sheriff-Substitute Guy and a jury at Edinburgh Sheriff Court yesterday, in the case in which Alexander M’Dougall, (29), billiard marker, 4 St. Leonard's Hill, Edinburgh, was charged with having on Sunday, 2d March, in Montrose-Terrace, Edinburgh, driven a motor car against Alexander Fairgrieve Taylor, compositor, 58 Broughton Street, and killed him. A brother of the deceased in the witness-box described the accident. He and his two brothers were walking eastwards to Meadowbank Terrace. When almost opposite Abbey Church he noticed a taxi-cab coming from Portobello along Cadzow Place. Witness and his brothers were passing between a public convenience and the car lines, and did not expect the cab to come on their side, which would have been the wrong side of the road. Suddenly the cab swerved into the middle of the road between the two sets of rails on the Waterloo Place route. Then the cab swerved again and came right in front of witness and his two brothers. Deceased did not seem to have a chance to get clear, and jumped on to the radiator of the cab, but was thrown off in a few seconds, the front wheel of the cab passing over his body. Deceased was taken to the Infirmary in the cab, and died at four o'clock next morning, never having regained consciousness. His other brother was also knocked down, but was not injured. Cross-examined, witness maintained that the cab was going too fast to be drawn up if anything had got in the way, It was stated that death was due to fracture of the skull and laceration of the brain. A constable stated that the accused had informed him that he had made the first swerve to avoid running down a child who came out of a side street. Accused in the witness-box stated that the cab was traveling at a rate of from 10 to 12 miles per hour. When he was passing Abbey Street a child ran directly in front of his cab from a side street, and he swerved sharply to the right to avoid running the child down. When he was swerving back he saw the three men. He was of opinion that if the deceased had jumped to the side he would have got clear. Other witnesses also gave evidence. The jury returned a unanimous verdict of not guilty.

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 12 April, 1939.
Dalkeith.—A transfer of the license for the Harrow Hotel was granted to William Henderson Taylor, wine and spirit merchant, 51 Easter Road, Edinburgh.

The Scotsman, Edinburgh, 04 October, 1944.
A list of applicants for certificates for the sale of excisable liquors for the Burgh and City of Edinburgh. William Henderson Taylor, publican, 4 Eskbank Road, Dalkeith, applied in regard to a Public House at 133 Lothian Road.

All the best,
Alan

ptscts

Post by ptscts » Fri Jul 05, 2013 8:46 am

Thanks for these responses. I had known about Alexander's early death, but not the cause. Also Robert A. Taylor died in the great War in 1917. I hadn't known about William going on to be a publican too. One of the reasons I'm trying to find out some of the history is that from their peak affluence ( the time in the large house in West Saville Road) that Sarah listed, they seemed to have become less well off in the 1900s, Possibly as Alexander the father became ill. I got hooked on this, when I discovered the West Saville Road address, a few years back. Mostly my family lived on the west of the city, and I moved house only to discover I was 5 minutes walk from where my great Grandfather's family had lived, so I walked down to look at the house. And I've just seen Alan's post. I've tried searching the Scotsman, but clearly I'm not nearly good enough at it, as I didn't see this stuff.
Thanks Paul

Gandolf95

Post by Gandolf95 » Sun Jun 15, 2014 9:29 pm

My great-great grandfather was John Taylor b.abt. 1814 d.1894 in New Jersey. I recently found out that he had 2 families. The first started in Ireland and the 2nd in Brooklyn. In his first marriage to a woman I believe to be named Susan Dines in Galway and they had 7 children, one of whom was Mary Ann Taylor b. 1841 and the other Henry b. 1838. All of his children and 1st wife, but for Mary Ann and Henry, died between 1848-50 in Dublin. I surmise the deaths were as a result of the Irish Potato Famine which was going on in that time frame. John married again in 1851 to Ellen or Helen Binning at St. Andrews Church in Dublin and they came to the US and settled in Brooklyn, NY with Mary Ann and Henry in 1851. They thereafter started a new family in 1852 with the birth of my great grandfather James Taylor. They had 9 new children, though some did not survive infancy. I am trying to find John Taylor’s Scottish roots. His father’s name is listed on his marriage certificate as “John Taylor” and his father's occupation is listed as printer (John Jr was a jeweler). All of the census records in the US list his birthplace as Scotland. The family bible lists John’s place of birth as Edinburgh. That is all I know. Can anyone tell me how to find this family and trace it back in Scotland?

kaileigh

Post by kaileigh » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:32 pm

I would start by looking in the 1841 & 1851 Scotland Census for JohnTaylor, printer http://www.freecen.org.uk/ There are 8 John Taylors, printers in 1841 Census. The census is probably the best road to go down as anyone with a subscription to ancestry could help you narrow your options down.

Then you could try http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk looking at the OPRs for births although they don't give much information the fathers occupation can be mentioned. Also Wills & Testaments on http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk and if you are lucky you could view the will for 10 credits. It is free to search and free to view results. I had a quick look and found the following but that is not conclusive. I based my search on the John Taylor Senior being born about 1790 so it is only a rough idea. The following is a possibility but you can do a search yourself to look for more results. Pity it is such a common name! The other search you could do was for the death of John Taylor in Scotland but again it will be hit or miss without knowing where in Scotland he lived. The death certificate, if he died after 1855 would give you his occupation and his wife's name plus the name of the informant. The problem with that is it is such a common name that it could cost a fortune!

Example of Wills and Testaments search:

115 TAYLOR JOHN 29/06/1877 BOOKSELLER AND PRINTER, STONEHAVEN, D. 04/02/1877 AT STONEHAVEN, TESTATE STONEHAVEN SHERIFF COURT SC5/41/25

I found this athttp://www.nls.uk/catalogues/scottish-book-tra ... illiedelph

TAYLOR, John printer and stationer Edinburgh
Opposite Bughts 1800-03
John Taylor and Company, Gosford's Close 1804-05
'Back of Bughts 1803'
NLS Impr Ind; Edin Dir

Or

http://scottishprintarchive.org/http:/

I am sure there are lots of ways of searching but it is getting the correct John Taylor that will be the problem! Good luck.

kaileigh

Post by kaileigh » Mon Jun 16, 2014 8:47 pm

I had a look after reading your post again and realising that you did mention John's place of birth. Here is a possibility on FamilySearch.org. It would help if you knew the names that ran through the family.

Name: John Williamson Taylor
Christening Date: null
Christening Place: SAINT CUTHBERTS, EDINBURGH, MIDLOTHIAN, SCOTLAND
Birth Date: 15 Dec 1810
Birthplace: Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland
Death Date: null
Name Note: null
Race: null
Father's Name: John Taylor
Father's Birthplace: null
Father's Age: null
Mother's Name: May Campbell
Mother's Birthplace: null
Mother's Age: null
Indexing Project (Batch) Number: C11987-5
System Origin: Scotland-VR
GS Film number: 1066755
Reference ID: 2:18LPP50

Citing this Record:
"Scotland, Births and Baptisms, 1564-1950," index, <i>FamilySearch</i> (https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.2/MB49-68F : accessed 16 Jun 2014), John Williamson Taylor, 15 Dec 1810; citing Saint Cuthberts, Edinburgh, Midlothian, Scotland, reference 2:18LPP50; FHL microfilm 1066755.

aewilson6

Post by aewilson6 » Sat Mar 31, 2018 12:59 pm

ptscts wrote:
Wed Jul 03, 2013 7:10 pm
I'm trying to track down information on my great Grandfather Alexander Boyd Taylor. He was a publican and at one time ran the Tolbooth tavern and I think the Argyle Arms in Edinburgh. His sons were Thomas Smith Taylor, Alexander Fairgrieve Taylor, Robert Allan Taylor, William Henderson Taylor, Herbert Taylor and my grandfather Alfred Taylor. Apparently My Grandfather was estranged from the rest of his family, so we have no background. With that many sons I'm thinking I must be related to a fair few Taylors in Edinburgh, anybody recognise the names and have partial family trees to tie up with mine. I think I can go back perhaps another 5 generations from AB Taylor (mainly in Eeast Lothian I think)
Paul
Hi Paul

I hope you don't mind me contacting you about your Great Grandfather Alexander Boyd Taylor. I am also descended from the Taylor's through William Taylor (Taiylor) born 1718 and his wife Margaret Trotter's son Peter Taylor. I believe your branch comes from William and Margaret's son Thomas Taylor. The Taylor family is immense isn't it and I was just reading about your great grandfather Alexander Boyd Taylor yesterday in a family history book on the Taylor family written by a Taylor descendant. I would be happy to share information and photographs of the Taylor family that I have and I can give you a contact email if you would like to get in touch with the individual who had written the book. He has done an absolutely amazing job of researching the Taylor's over about 300 years.

Best wishes

Anna Wilson

ptscts

Post by ptscts » Wed Jan 26, 2022 2:02 pm

Dear Anna,
sorry I didn't reply earlier. Yes I have the book too, it sort of stopped me thinking about them for a while, and set me working on the other side, as I thought I would never find anything new on the Taylors