TalkingScot's 15th birthday

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

ninatoo

Re: TalkingScot's 15th birthday

Post by ninatoo » Fri Dec 13, 2019 1:36 pm

Happy birthday TalkingScot!! \:D/ \:D/ \:D/
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Wed Jan 01, 2020 3:58 am

Happy Birthday Talking Scot!

It has been some time since I have looked in here. \:D/ Has it really been 15 years?

I think that some of the members are gone forever and that makes me sad.

Happy New Year to everybody!

Sheila
Sheila

Arthur

Post by Arthur » Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:44 pm

TalkingScot a teenager? Who would have guessed, all these years ago.
The birthday might be on the 7th of December 2004, but the conception was on the 3rd of December 2004. To quote the founding Discussion Group chat ...
"jeanally2: Should we discuss the official site name? TalkingScot seems to be a very workable name...perhaps it should be voted official? Any other suggestions?"
Be eternally grateful that we rejected another possible forum name - Scotsexchange. :shock: I think you might spot the reason why not! :)
There is one extra from those early discussions. A little tag attached to the first draft of the Forum Rules. I think that I might be allowed to break one of those rules!
"One extra rule which will never be published.
The AG shall operate in an unobtrusive manner, causing the minimum of distress and inconvenience to the forum users."
I think that they have done a grand job, over the years. Perhaps with just a little stress ... :D

Mesklin
Arthur

trish1

Post by trish1 » Fri Jan 17, 2020 11:20 pm

Currie wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 2:23 pm
I lurked on the site for two and a half years before I registered. Either it was because of my slow computer, or that I couldn’t think of anything to say.

I suspect that, sadly, many of the original TalkingScot members are now doing their genealogy “In the cloud”, so to speak.

All the best,
Alan
Just to let Alan know - some of us are still around. I started researching in 2003 & after about 2015 decided I had almost gone as far as I wanted/needed to go. Then of course, last week I receive a pm about a thread from way back when & I'm back into the search.

Alan can find his way around newspaper search engines in a manner second to none. I've used the same sources and never been able to find the detail that he could always come up with. One of the many who have been so helpful on the forum.

My special thanks also to Andrew P who has helped my research many times over the years - not to mention sorting out my access when TS or me (probably the latter) did not want to work last week.

With 99.9% friendship and helpful researchers - great place to find your Scottish roots.

Trish

kathyc1

Post by kathyc1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:47 am

Happy belated birthday to Talking Scot! I was here quite a bit in the early years, and then a full computer crash and life took me away for awhile. My old log-in seems to be invalid these days, but I'm back (Was kathyc, now kathyc1) and hope to try to pop by more regularly.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:30 am

Welcome back, kathyc!

[cheers]

Sarah

kathyc1

Post by kathyc1 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 11:10 pm

Thanks, Sarah! Was so glad to see some familiar names, including yours, still here when I logged in. :) [cheers]