Familysearch.org

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Orlaith17

Re: Familysearch.org

Post by Orlaith17 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 2:51 pm

I have come across something in Ancestry whilst searching in general Irish parish records. It seems to be a parish record with a columns named at the top with church sacraments eg confirmation and ist communion and confession. There is a Hugh Heenan (one of my grandad’s sisters was registered with Heenan as a surname so I didnt dismiss it as “wrong” spelling.) it looked like they had possibly had a child but had not been married according to Catholic church. They are listed as “parent” but no child name is there. I think the writing says “first concerns and married by registrar” and above is written “since married by dispensation”. I doubt if that is who I am looking for but interested in the register anyway.

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:55 pm

Marriage by a Registrar started in Ireland on 1st April 1845. I searched the records 1845 to 1860 for a marriage for Hugh & Jane (including all variant spellings) but without success. I then dropped the surnames and just searched under Hugh & Jane but no joy.
Elwyn

Orlaith17

Post by Orlaith17 » Thu Dec 31, 2020 4:55 am

Thank you so much for trying to help, Elwyn. This has been a brick wall to me for years now and I’m not sure I will ever solve the mystery. I just hope that by hipping away and finding out more about Irish history and record keeping, I will at leastbstart to understand why it remains a mystery.