Adoption

Items of general interest

Moderators: Global Moderators, Pandabean

Orlaith17

Adoption

Post by Orlaith17 » Fri Jul 08, 2022 11:42 am

Long post, sorry. I discovered there was someone in Ancestry researching to help an adoptee find birth family. Most names in the researchers tree matched names in my tree. Recently whilst researching in Scotlands People record office for births came across name in births but unable to see certificate. Staff there seemed to think this was because it is held at Scottish Archives as was most likely an adoption record. I contacted Birthlink and they think I should be able to order certificate from archives. I dont know for sure if this person is a relative wihout seeing parent details. Child was born in 1936. Anyone know how this works? I dont want to make direct contact or intrude in their life, but IF it is the person who was researching birth family, would like to offer them info and photos if they want that.

WilmaM

Re: Adoption

Post by WilmaM » Fri Jul 08, 2022 2:26 pm

This guide here may help you:
https://www.nrscotland.gov.uk/research/ ... on-records

I don't think you'd be able to examine the records, but the adopted person in question should be if they go through the correct procedures.
Adoptions are, quite rightly, a very private affair and the records reflect that.

If I read your post correctly, the poster on Ancestry is a third party, so you could contact them and say many of the names sound familiar and if they ever confirm parentage, and they match your tree then you would be willing to provide some further details in strict confidence.

It is a delicate area and you certainly don't want to cause any friction with living members of the families concerned.
Wilma

Orlaith17

Re: Adoption

Post by Orlaith17 » Sat Jul 16, 2022 1:05 pm

Thanks, Wilma. I originally contacted the researcher in Ancestry when I saw the names. I made contact as there were some wildly innaccurate details in the tree regarding relationships, though names and dates were correct. I made contact to offer to provide accurate info. They told me they were researching on behalf of an adoptee in Glasgow wishing to make contact with birth family. They seem to have MANY trees in their profile, and run a business out of this research. I said I knew they could not give me their client’s details but asked them to pass my email address to their client who could contact me if they wished, and I was happy to send information and photos this way. They were not willing to do that however. Just frustrating I have photos, bmd certificates etc of so many of their relative which I am willing to but unable to share.