New Year's Rituals

Stories memories and people

Moderators: Global Moderators, AnneM

amanuensis

New Year's Rituals

Post by amanuensis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 4:50 am

I'm in California of Scottish ancestry, I was talking to a distant cousin who was born in Scotland and she was telling me when she was a girl she caught hell from her Auntie once because she crossed her aunt's door on New Year's Day and she was blonde and on New Year's the first person across your door should be a dark-haired person. Has anyone ever heard of that? And other things crucial to welcome in the new year, like you had to clean your house and throw out your trash and first across threshold brings a bottle of whiskey and a piece of coal. That was all she could remember but she said it was a big deal when she was young (she's almost 80 now). I'd love to know more about these "New Year" customs.

Jackie in California

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:31 am

Yes, all true, and in fact Scots can be extremely superstitious about it. I was told that the coal and bread you bring into the house represent warmth and food for the coming year, and sometimes people bring a coin as well. I don't know about the whiskey, for merriment? :lol: Nor do I know of the dark tall man, except that I think it was something to do with scaring away bad spirits, or trick them ito thinking you already had a bad spirit, something like that (but the site below says different).

The New Year clean up used to drive me crazy as a kid! A little of that routine is still with me now though, as I try to make sure my house is at least tidy for the New Year.

Also look here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay and plenty of other places on the net.

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:15 am

Hi Jackie,

All true. As a child my hair was jet black, my mother used to make me stand outside the door just before midnight so that I could be the first one through the door. Said I always brought her luck.

I still do the cleaning ritual at my house. Everything has to be immaculate before the bells ring.

Ina

AnnieMack

Post by AnnieMack » Tue Nov 21, 2006 8:32 am

I still do the cleaning, old habits die hard! The thing about the dark haired person supposedly comes from the times when the Vikings/Norsemen invaded parts of the far North and as Scots are more traditionally red heads it was meant to be good luck to have a dark headed first visitor with coal and cake!

We also open all the windows to let the old year out and the new year in.

Annie born and raised in Paisley :lol:
Searching: Pow - Stirlingshire, Pender - Paisley, Gray - Alva, Paisley, Elderslie, Canning - Stirling, Morrison, Innes and Wilson - Glasgow to name a few!

www.dundeereptheatre.co.uk home to Scotland's only full time ensemble

joette
Global Moderator

Post by joette » Tue Nov 21, 2006 11:59 am

You also have to cook up a storm & make sure there is plenty for all who may visit to Welcome in the Year.
Plenty of drink-we used to make "Wine"-ginger,blackcurrant etc.Little bottle of Essence from the Coop & then add boiling water & sugar-definetly non-alcoholic & when we were weans we loved it.The Essence has travelled to NZ,Utah &Canada.
The traditional Neerday food(in our hoose) was Soup-Lentil,Scotch Broth,Chicken-if very lucky!.Steak Pie,Tongue,Boiled Ham.
I suppose food that could be cooked in advance & then reheated when needed as people were coming & going at all times.
Then the "baked goods"-shortbread,buns,loafs-fruit/cherry,pear tarts(my Mum's specialty-WOW!!)Again things which could be made in advance & brought out to feed the company.Things that wouldn't "grue" somebody with a hangover!!
It is considered a duty in Scotland to offer hospitality especially at New Year.You must feed your visitors & family holds back.
The front step/stairs in a close have to be washed & we would whitewash in days of yore.No dirty washing& clean bedding.Blankets washed for the occasion-try drying them when it's minus outside & no Central heating or dryer in sight.Everybody has to be bathed & in clean clothes to welcome in the Year.
The Hooters on the Clyde(from the ships)Today you are more likely to get fireworks.
The tradition in our house is at exactly midnight straight after the bells & everbody has toasted in the New Year the eldest male (he started aged 9)
makes a little speech.He mentions our gains & our losses & we remember those who are not there.Then we all have good greet(the men too)& then it's phone calls to those who are enjoying the Festivities elsewhere or live abroad.
Bankie in exile.
Researching:SCOTT,Taylor,Young,VEITCH LINLEY,MIDLOTHIAN
WADDELL,ROSS,TORRANCE,GOVAN/DALMUIR/Clackmanannshire
CARR/LEITCH-Scotland,Ireland(County Donegal)
LINLEY/VEITCH-SASK.Canada
ALSO BROWN,MCKIMMIE,MCDOWALL,FRASER.
Greer/Grier,Jenkins/Jankins

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Nov 21, 2006 12:45 pm

When I first moved to England after I got married, my first New Year here was also my first one spent alone. My husband was in the RN and he was away. One of our neighbours asked me to drop in after the bells and I duly turned up with a bit of Black Bun (sent from Glasgow) and a lump of coal.

When I got to her door, her first words were, "Oh! Good, you're the first to arrive" and was very upset that I refused to cross her door. You see, I'm a redhead (or was back then)! I waited till a dark headed passerby agreed to cross ahead of me. Well, he got a wee drink for his trouble!

Even to this day, I will not allow anyone across the door first unless they are dark, and I've lived mostly in England for over 30 years now.

I've also kept up the thinh my mother had about dirty laundry. When the family changed into their "pairty gear" everything was thrown in the machine and washed. She didn't worry too much about them being dried and ironed, though. But there had to be nothing but "clean" everywhere.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Tue Nov 21, 2006 1:03 pm

Hi all

I still plan to do the Big Clean before the end of the year. Never quite manage to finish it though, which is perhaps the reason why my home is never a model of Good Housekeeping.

My father was in great demand as a First Foot at New Year. Unlike the majority in our part of the country, he had black hair.

Best wishes

Catriona

amanuensis

Thank You All

Post by amanuensis » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:48 pm

This is fascinating, I am going to ask some more of my relatives in Scotland and elsewhere if they have any memories of Hogmanay to share.

We are researching: Marshall-Renshaw branches in Glasgow and Edinburgh and Williamson-Forsyth-Keith-Milne in Aberdeen area. My greatgrandparents (Sarah Renshaw Marshall and William Marshall) lived for a time on Kirkland St. in Glasgow and then "Rose Hall Street" if there was such a street (I cannot find it on any maps of Glasgow). I am planning a visit in the next few years so I'm collecting names of streets where my ancestors have lived to visit. I'm researching hotels and self-catered places in Glasgow so if you have any advice let me know (off topic I know, sorry!) - Jackie (Williamson) Piro, Oceanside, Calif.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Tue Nov 21, 2006 5:58 pm

Have a look at http://www.rampantscotland.com/know/blknow12.htm and particularly http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hogmanay (already mentioned by Nina [woohoo] )

As well as having a richt guid Google [cheers]

David

AnnetteR

Re: Thank You All

Post by AnnetteR » Tue Nov 21, 2006 7:13 pm

amanuensis wrote:This is fascinating, I am going to ask some more of my relatives in Scotland and elsewhere if they have any memories of Hogmanay to share.

We are researching: Marshall-Renshaw branches in Glasgow and Edinburgh and Williamson-Forsyth-Keith-Milne in Aberdeen area. My greatgrandparents (Sarah Renshaw Marshall and William Marshall) lived for a time on Kirkland St. in Glasgow and then "Rose Hall Street" if there was such a street (I cannot find it on any maps of Glasgow). I am planning a visit in the next few years so I'm collecting names of streets where my ancestors have lived to visit. I'm researching hotels and self-catered places in Glasgow so if you have any advice let me know (off topic I know, sorry!) - Jackie (Williamson) Piro, Oceanside, Calif.
Hi Jackie

You will find a William Marshall living as a tennant at No: 10 Rosehall Street in Glasgow in 1913/14. Just log in to www.theglasgowstory.com and search on the valuation rolls. Just as a by the way I live just around the corner from Kirkland Street which is in Maryhill, Glasgow. Rosehall Street was near Shamrock Street at St Georges Cross, Glasgow.

Hope this helps.

Annette R
-----------------------------------------------------
Researching in Fife: Wilson, Ramsay, Cassels/Carswell, Lindsay, Millar, Bowman and many others.
In Glasgow and West of Scotland: Aitchison, Wilkinson, Keenan, Black, Kinloch and Leiper.