Scots Origins Website

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Genetrix

Scots Origins Website

Post by Genetrix » Thu May 14, 2009 12:20 pm

I'm having trouble viewing images on Scots Origins. Have been using this for over a year without problems. I 've recently upgraded to Internet Explorer 8 and Norton 2009. When trying to view images on Scots Origins I'm getting a message "Server Error in '/' Application" Description: An application error occurred on the server. The current custom error settings for this application prevent the details of the application error from being viewed remotely (for security reasons). It could, however, be viewed by browsers running on the local server machine.

It then goes on about ceating a CustomErrors tag and I've no idea what it all means. I went to their FAQ section and found the exact same problem listed. It said to just turn off Privacy Control in Norton. When I went into my Norton software it said Parental & Privacy Controls have not been installed. I've been in touch with Norton about this and they've told me to contact Scots Origins since this can't be a Norton problem (funny how I didn't have the problem when I had Norton 2008 though). i've emailed Scots Origins but no reply from them as yet. Has anybody else had a similar problem. By the way, I'm using Vista.

daj

Post by daj » Thu May 14, 2009 12:43 pm

I've had this for the last few days too. I do not have any filtering system installed so it is not that. I have tried it at home and in the office, both with the same results.

I have emailed them and await a reply. If I get anything I will let you know
[color=navy]David.
Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire[/color]
[url=http://www.jamiesontree.co.uk]My Tree[/url]

Genetrix

Post by Genetrix » Thu May 14, 2009 1:20 pm

David: Just received a reply from Scots Origins saying they are currently fixing error messages and it should be completed in a few days. Hope so, as I miss using this website.

Tricia

daj

Post by daj » Thu May 14, 2009 1:45 pm

I got this message from them

We are currently fixing the error messages on the search pages which are
occurring intermittently. This should be fixed within the next few days.
Please continue to try searching as the error messages only appear every so
often.

Thank you for your patience.
[color=navy]David.
Researching: Jamieson/Glasgow, Scotland + New York. Fiddaman/Durham. Russell/Lanarkshire[/color]
[url=http://www.jamiesontree.co.uk]My Tree[/url]

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Thu May 14, 2009 5:06 pm

Hi Genetrix:

In the meantime, have you considered using http://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

I've no idea of the costs on Scots Origins, but I was able to find my grandmother with less information on this alternate pay-per-view site.

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Genetrix

Post by Genetrix » Thu May 14, 2009 8:57 pm

Yes, Frances I've used Scotlands People a lot over the past year and have spent quite a bit of money there and obtained loads of info. Scots Origins is free and associated with Family Search although I've found some things on the one that's not on the other. When I do find something, I then go to Scotland's People to double check since I've then got specific dates and parents names. Can't believe I've actually been able to get back to the mid 1600's on a couple of lines and yet can't find other more recent ancestors anywhere.

Tricia

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Thu May 14, 2009 9:09 pm

Hi Tricia
Scots Origins is free
If I'm looking at the same bit of Scots Origins that you are using, then the free info seems to based on info from the IGI on the LDS site at www.familysearch.org
Search the IGI Births Christenings and Marriages database
Search IGI Marriages (1553-1875)
Search IGI Births & Christenings (1553-1875)
So if that is that part which is is not working correctly you'd maybe be as well going straight to the source of all that free info and using www.familysearch.org directly for those searches.

The part of Scots Origins which I find useful from time to time is the place search at:
http://www.scotsorigins.com/scotsorigin ... earch.aspx

Best wishes
Lesley