Bring Back My Photos

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

trish58

Bring Back My Photos

Post by trish58 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 11:30 pm

Help required again please.

All my photos which where on my Ancestry.com tree have gone walk about, (this is on my laptop, desktop okay).
They where there in Nov when I last used the laptop, I only use it when I go away. This week I used it concerning the FTM2010,
All I have is square boxes where the photos should be and the info on the photo or document underneath the box.

Need help on this please, I would hate to have to try to add them all again-558 in total.

Thanks-Trish :)
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

Currie

Re: Bring Back My Photos

Post by Currie » Sat Jan 16, 2010 3:18 am

Hello Trish,

I’m at a bit of a loss because I’m not familiar with FTM or the Ancestry Tree thing. All of what I’ve written here may be completely irrelevant in your situation.

Are these missing photos ones that are supposed to display on your FTM program or ones that display on the internet. Does the desktop computer on which things are OK have FTM 2010 as well?

It raises the question also of whether the photos are embedded in the FTM program or whether they are linked to a folder of photos on your computer. If they are linked FTM 2010 may be looking for them in a location where they are not. You may have to tell FTM where the photos are or provide a new folder of photos with the exact address FTM expects them to have.

Is there an empty box gizmo with the name only for the individuals who actually did have a photo? If so FTM 2010 appears to be looking for the photos in a particular location and not finding them. Can you see where the photos are supposed to be? The address of the folder containing the photos will be something like C:\Documents and Settings …….etc This may show under the box, or maybe if you right click the box and select properties or maybe if you go through the motions of adding another photo for that person the address will show up in the window that appears when you do so. Carefully write it down.

Do you know the location address of the photos that you have previously imported into FTM? i.e. the folder they came from. Write it down carefully and compare it with the one you wrote down before. In the window you see when adding a photo there may be an option to change a photo already there. If so try importing the same photo again. The program that I use, PAF5, I think asks me if I want to change the address of the lot and does so but I don’t know about FTM. You could also have a look at the other computer where FTM 2010 is OK and see how the addresses compare.

There’s some gobbledegook here re missing photos http://boards.ancestry.com/thread.aspx? ... mtreemaker
The very last post on this next thread is talking about a media folder with photos being renamed etc. Where is this media folder located, does it contain photos, and is it renaming that is the problem and how does its contents compare to its twin on the desktop computer that is OK? http://blog.eogn.com/eastmans_online_ge ... 80bd90970b

If these photos are on the internet and you can see them with only one of your computers can other people see them? Are you able to edit stuff on the internet using both computers? You could try deleting cookies and temporary internet files on the one with the problem.

Any other FTM 2010 or earlier users out there who know the situation with media?

Just guessing, with probably more questions than answers, and not much help,
Alan

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 5:03 am

Thanks for the reply Alan

Have just got home and not digested your reply properly, have printed it off, and will reply as best as I can.

1-Yes they display on FTM 2110, & on my Ancestry.com tree, which is a private tree. All clear on the desktop.

2-Yes there is an empty box on Ancestry.com my private tree, with only a description of who or what should be there. THIS IS ONLY ON THE LAPTOP.

3-Yes the photos & documents are all stored in "my documents or my pictures"

4-It does seem others are having the same problem as mine

5-Alan I will have a look at what you have said shortly, as I need to close this desktop, to use the "wireless stick" on the laptop.

6-You mentioned deleting Cookies etc, not a clue on how to do any of that, sorry.
As usual your info is helpful, clear & precise, and I thank you for your time and patience with this internet dummy, though I am improving slowly.

Thanks again, will re-post as soon as I have had a look at things.
Trish. :)
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 12:09 pm

Hi Alan

I think the problem is solved. The photos are all hiding behind something called "Media" but yes the are all there.
So hopefully I can now rest easy.

Again thanks for all your help.
Trish :D