ScotlandPpeople

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

hg

ScotlandPpeople

Post by hg » Fri Aug 24, 2012 6:59 pm

Anybody else having trouble viewing images with Java? I contacted ScotlandsPeople, they said it is working on my account at their side and suggested re - installing which I have done, also tested on the Java website, my Java is working. Had to resort to direct view or direct download. Any ideas?

thanks

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

AndrewP
Site Admin

Re: ScotlandPpeople

Post by AndrewP » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:49 pm

Hi Helen,

I would always recommend Direct Download as the most reliable means of viewing images from SP. I tried switching to Java just now to see, and it threw up questions and recommended me to install some software from java.com . That was enough for me - back to Direct Download.

All the best,

AndrewP

SandySandilands

Post by SandySandilands » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:50 pm

I'm using direct download too for the same reasons.

There's no problem with direct download if I use Firefox.
Last edited by SandySandilands on Sat Aug 25, 2012 1:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

Ina
Global Moderator

Post by Ina » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:43 am

I use Firefox and Direct download and have no problems.

Ina

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Aug 25, 2012 12:58 am

I suddenly had issues with this about a week ago straight after a microsoft automatic update. Java had completely disappeared from my laptop.

I downloaded it again and have had no problems since.
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Aug 25, 2012 8:45 am

Hi Helen,

I went back to this and downloaded Java. The Java viewer in SP now works. It had worked for me at some previous time, so like you I think an update (probably Windows update) has changed things.

If you use 64-bit Windows and 64-bit version of Internet Explorer, you need to download the 64-bit version of Java. Should you use both 32-bit and 64-bit versions, then you need to download both versions of Java. Their standard download is the 32-bit version. You need to go looking for the 64-bit version if you need that.

All the best,

AndrewP

hg

Post by hg » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:50 pm

Thanks everybody for your replies. For some reason I have stopped getting emails from TS to alert me. Have had a few problems lately with my laptop and they started after a windows download. Andrew, your answer sort of makes sense. Will have a look into it.

all the best

Helen
researching Glacken, in Edinburgh and Glasgow and Ireland, McCartney and McAnally in Glasgow, Belli in Italy and Edinburgh, O'farrel in Tyrone and edinburgh, Mchendrie, Dawson and Findlay from Banff then Edinburgh, Main in Edinburgh. Mcdonald.

brabason

Post by brabason » Sat Mar 09, 2013 2:37 pm

This is a bit technical. If you don't like it, don't read it.
About Java. You need this if you are not using MS Explorer (Explorer has Activex but others like Firefox do not). There is an issue with the usual upgrade of Java: the later versions do not install properly because a very old version has not been properly deleted (I allow automatic updates on Java). Recently (last night for me) ScotlandsPeople changed their web checking and refused me those images. ScotlandsPeople has help on this and some good links.
After a bit of research, the solution was to un-install all the Java software through the control panel on my PC. This went well because Java is well installed and the un-install cleans up the registry as well as removing the files. Reboot for a fresh start even on Window 7 but especially on XP. Then download and reinstall Java.
On Firefox you can see which Add-ons are active and this now shows two different Java entries were only one was before. ScotlandsPeople works well with this.
About 32 bit and 64 bit Java. Most Browsers are 32 bit software, even though I have a 64 bit PC. These browsers use the 32 bit Java. The automatic Java update is for the 32 bit version.
It is possible to get 64 bit versions of browsers but avoid these. They are slower and not as well featured. Further there is no automatic update for 64 bit Java, you have to do it all manually.

hg

Post by hg » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:08 pm

Hi Brabason, Yes it is a bit technical for me but I am willing to give it a go as I am still having to use direct download. I have looked previously at the help and faq in SotlandsPeople and as my original message states - contacted them, but never found an answer to the problem so if your suggestion helps it would be great. I have just been into my control panel and found java but not sure how to uninstall!! Sorry if this is obvious but afraid it isn't to me. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Helen

ninatoo

Post by ninatoo » Sat Mar 09, 2013 11:05 pm

I recently changed my preference to Direct Download because of late there have been major security issues with Java. Many in the know were advising to not use Java at all anymore. Not sure what you are supposed to use instead, mind you, and I am not even sure where Java is being used when I am moving around the net, except for SP.

Some known issues with Java are in this article, but a search with Google will find more:

http://blogs.computerworld.com/malware- ... -number-53

Nina
Researching: Easton ( Renfrewshire, Dunbarton and Glasgow), Corr (Londonderry and Glasgow), Carson (Co. Down, Irvine, Ayrshire and Glasgow), Logan (Londonderry and Glasgow)