Upgrading from FTM 2006

The technical section

Moderator: Global Moderators

Lorna Allison

Upgrading from FTM 2006

Post by Lorna Allison » Sat Dec 05, 2015 12:44 am

Hello friends

I've been posted absent for a long time. Still search on and off for my lost boy but mainly the accent is on filing the mountains of printouts for posterity. Since 1 son shows interest in inheriting the family tree files I now want to put my family tree, currently on FTM 2006, on an up to date package on my new computer running Microsoft 10.

I have no idea what would be best and want to buy a new version asap so that my computer helper can install it. I am terrified of a) losing all or some of it and b) finding I have to learn a whole lot of new tricks. I intend keeping the old computer with the tree on it and I have bought an external drive to keep a back up.

Any help would be so appreciated.

Lorna
Researching:

PAUL: Lanarkshire;
TORRANCE: Lanarkshire
CROSGROVE: Ayrshire, Glasgow
ALLISON: Glasgow
PRICE: Monmouthshire
CURZON: Staffs, Monmouthshire
TAIT, HUME, MIDDLEMAS,: Roxburghshire
PRINGLE: Glasgow, Central Belt, Edinburgh

trish1

Re: Upgrading from FTM 2006

Post by trish1 » Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:55 am

Hi Lorna

I tried to move away from FTM when I had trouble with my (ancient) version not working on Win8 - but I gave up & kept using FTM on my laptop. I then discovered I could run the original on Win8 - no idea why it wouldn't work the first time. Maybe I am just anti change - but have you checked if your FTM works on Win10? Or update to the latest FTM perhaps.

The one I changed to was Roots Magic - I didn't lose any data (It had direct conversion from FTM) - and it seemed/seems to be quite a good program - but I am just so much faster using FTM - sigh

Trish

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Sun Dec 06, 2015 2:38 pm

Hello Trish

Great to speak with you again. Thanks so much for replying. I have hesitated so long about upgrading my FTM because of the kind of problems you mention. However I would like to finally make it up to date so that my "inheritors" might have less problems with it. (I am not proposing kicking the bucket anytime soon - just planning ahead O:)

Wanted "the man" to transfer my tree onto Windows 10 then to purchase the latest FTM - don't know what it is called - to upgrade it and have it running all new and squeaky clean on my new laptop. May well be a question of "The best laid schemes . . . . . . . " Wondered if anyone had had difficulties with the newest FTM and could give guidance.

Someone wanted to buy my old laptop but I am having none of that. Like you have found better to have the old faithful around for emergencies.

Thanks again

Lorna
Researching:

smiddykilry

Post by smiddykilry » Sun Dec 06, 2015 5:56 pm

Hi
I have just installed FTM 2014 on a windows 10 laptop and desktop running windows 7, no problems so far and easy to transfer all data. The new program has to upgrade your files during the transfer but all done automatic, just to be sure run a backup before you start.

Smid
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Tue Dec 08, 2015 12:25 am

Hello Smid

That is very encouraging. The chap coming to help will make sure I have a backup copy of the tree before we start transferring. How do you find FTM2014? Is there much difference? Do you think I will have to face a difficult learning curve? To be honest I am at the stage that I don't do nearly so much entering of newly found data but want to put down notes about info I have in my head or in multiple papers.

I should probably get the manual.

Thanks again for your help

Lorna
Researching:

smiddykilry

Post by smiddykilry » Wed Dec 09, 2015 6:08 pm

Hi Lorna
Just found out that Ancestry are to stop selling FTM and no support after 2017!!!

smid :roll:
Dunn, Rough, Smith, Bruce, Paterson, Paton. Wylie,
Stewart, Reid, Gardiner, Rollo, Turner, Dutch, Laing, Forsyth, Robb, Hardie.
Kennedy, Kandow, Winter, Vollum, Hastie.

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Dec 09, 2015 11:26 pm

I KNOW!! I phoned the chap I got 2006 version from and he told me that no more disks are being manufactured and no more books being printed. He still has stock but no more after that is finished. However, he did say he understood that any new package would be available online only with the book available only online. Don't fancy that set up for me at all but anyway I plan to make this my last FTM purchase.

Mmm - don't know if I have done the right thing but I have ordered the 2014 nonetheless. I've never gone back to ask help from Ancestry so - here's hoping all is well.

Kind regards

Lorna
Researching:

trish58

Post by trish58 » Sun Dec 13, 2015 7:05 am

smiddykilry wrote:Hi Lorna
Just found out that Ancestry are to stop selling FTM and no support after 2017!!!

smid :roll:
This is a little deceptive, by making it read "After 2017" It is in fact after 1st Jan 2017, so only a little over a year and not 2 years.

Trish
searching. Rae, Kennedy, Agnew, McConnell, Singleton, Appleton, Feeney, Fury, & many more

Lorna Allison

Post by Lorna Allison » Wed Dec 30, 2015 5:35 pm

Hello again

Just to round off the post. I got the 2014 CD but it turned out to be damaged - wouldn't load beyond 68% despite much polishing etc so had a good chat with the firm (what a joy a firm with a landline that is answered almost immediately by knowledgeable helpful people).

Upshot was they would take back the CD, reimburse me and I could either try again with their last copy of 2014 or I could go to another package. They recommended Family Historian and showed me how to get a month's free trial of same from their website - no obligation to purchase.

I did that - decided that I would buy Historian for my son's Christmas, give him a gedcom of my tree and let him take it from there while I would keep with my 2006 version on my old laptop and spare myself the trouble of learning new tricks.

I am assured that Historian will accept the 2006 gedcom with no bother but should there be any questions the firm give a one year free help service with Family Historian. Apparently it is the "only family tree package made in the UK", Well, that is what they told me.

Thank you so much once again for being there for me. I am happy with the outcome. A Good New Year to everyone. [cheers]

Regards

Lorna
Researching:

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Mon Jan 04, 2016 5:49 pm

Family Historian have their own User Group and Forum of very helpful people at http://www.fhug.org.uk/
~RJ Paton~