Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2009)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

AndrewP
Site Admin

Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2009)

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:39 am

Here at TalkingScot it is great to see so many new members joining up. We'd love to know how you found us. That can help us target future advertising more effectively.

We asked the same question last year .... and the year before ... and the year before ... and the year before that! It is always interesting to find out where in the world our TalkingScot members come from and how they heard about us.

All the best,

AndrewP

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:51 am

We were a bit late asking the question this year, so here are the 2009 responses copied over from the end of the 2008 thread. :oops:
patti_d wrote:I joined mid December 2008. I noticed your site mentioned in the 10th of November 2008 issue of the Ancestry Weekly Journal newsletter, in an article on Research in Scotland by Sherry Irvine, CG

I'm looking for great grandparents who came from Isle of Harris or Lewis in the 1880's to settle in Western Canada.

Researching McLeod, McSween, McInnes, Douglas, Nicholson to name a few.

Lots of reading to do here looking for tidbits of info.
Patti
SarahND wrote:Hi Patti!
Welcome to Talking Scot! [talkingscot]

Good idea to read through old posts and get a feel for the site. When you get ready to post some questions of your own, don't hesitate. We enjoy a good puzzle!

All the best,
Sarah
nancy wrote:Hi Patti and welcome to Talkingscot.
I see you mention Mcsweens in the family,my late mums sister married a mcsween but I believe from Skye.Can find out more from my cousin if you are interested.
Cheers Nancy
emanday wrote:We'll do our very best to point you in the right direction.

A bit of what you already know is a great hint to us....

patti_d

Post by patti_d » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 am

Hi Nancy. Yes, I'm interested. A Neil McSween, supposedly from Borsam was my great grandfather. Who knows? There could be a long ago connection to Skye. :D

I'm composing a post about what I'm stumbling on and putting it in the Seafaring section.

Thanks for the welcomes. :)
Patti

rob.mac

Post by rob.mac » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:00 am

hI All,
Had put a post up on Genes reunited and was advised by another member too put it on TalkingScots Forum as they had experts in the field of Scottish Ancestry. So i joined on February of this year and sure enough after putting my post up i was not disappointed, and got the help i required to find what i was looking for.
Have since put further posts up and hope for same response.
Don't know how i missed this site before. EXCELLENT.

rOB.

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Fri Feb 13, 2009 6:17 am

Hi Rob,

Glad you joined us and happy to hear that you got the help you were looking for. TS members are a good bunch of people alway willing and ready to help when they can. :)

Regards,
Anne H

Jim McCulloch

How I found you?

Post by Jim McCulloch » Sat Apr 04, 2009 1:10 pm

Hello there,
I was using Google to look up Scottish Websites and came across TalkingScot.
I live in Perth Western Australia.
I came out to Australia in 1963 from Peebles through The Big Brother Movement.
My main interest in the site was in tracing a cousin for my sister back in Scotland, but I see there is a lot more of interest than tracing family so I will spend some time navigating my way around.
many thanks

Jim McCulloch
Jim McCulloch

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Apr 04, 2009 2:00 pm

Hi Jim
And a warm welcome to Talking Scot :D

I'm afraid we cannot help with searching for folk who may still be living, but if you are interested to trace your Scottish family history back though time, then I'm sure we will be able to help you with any "sticky bits" of your research.

Best wishes
Lesley

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Sat Apr 04, 2009 5:50 pm

Hi Jim:

Lesley has indicated our focus is on searching out our ancestors, but we've quite a collection of research resources on finding missing and adopted people http://talkingscot.com/forum/viewtopic. ... ng+persons

All the best,
Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Ann In the UK

Post by Ann In the UK » Mon Apr 06, 2009 9:17 am

Hey,

I came here from SP - and I'm really glad I did! This has been a great week for my research thanks to the kindness and generosity of people on this site. Since coming here for the first time, only a few weeks ago, I've learned so much - how to do a wild-card search particularly (helping me to find several documents re my lot that had previously eluded me!) - and found so many new lines to look down, including many maritime links I'd never have come across otherwise (which have aleady enabled me to find information and images of ships several of my ancestors sailed on.)

But the thing I'm most grateful to this site for is: it's enabled me to find Walter. I've been looking for him for so long now, I'd almost lost hope. But now I've found him, and I'm currently finding out all about him and what happened to him after he left here. And I can't express in words what it means to me and my family.

Thank you all so so much.
Last edited by Ann In the UK on Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lanarkshire Lassie

Post by Lanarkshire Lassie » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:34 am

Hi everyone. Like rob.mac, I came here after a recommendation from a fellow chatter, either through GR or Rootschat.

I am still finding my way around the site, and just came across your survey this morning.

I am happy to be aboard.

Gail
Building the family tree, twig at a time.

Wylie/Stirling/Pender/Coventry--Old Monkland
Morrison/Gilchrist/--Edinburgh,Lanarkshire