Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2012)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

David Caisley

Re: Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2012)

Post by David Caisley » Wed May 23, 2012 8:28 pm

Andrew, I found a link on Scotlands People for yours and two others, tried to register on another but to no avail, so tried Talking Scot and eventually was successful in registering, just posted 1st query, looking forward to any replies. regards DC

elenor10

Post by elenor10 » Wed May 30, 2012 9:47 pm

I was goggling and found your site by accident.
I have only posted one message so far but have been reading older posts in case topics are relevent to my research.
Thanks

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Wed May 30, 2012 11:51 pm

Hi David and Elenor glad you found us and a warm welcome to you both! [TS_welcome]

I'm sure you will enjoy reading the many helpful posts here on TS and you'll find many members who are willing to help when they can.

Regards,
Anne H

keltyk

Post by keltyk » Fri Jun 15, 2012 7:34 am

Hi fellow researchers, from a really cold Johannesburg, South Africa.
Found Talking Scot, while searching on ScotlandsPeople site for my elusive SHAW's.
Hopefully I will find more links via this forum.
Good hunting all.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Jun 15, 2012 2:38 pm

Hello keltyk and welcome! Glad you're finding some interesting and helpful information here :D We have had a number of members looking for tips on how to research ancestors in South Africa so I'm sure you'll be able to help others also. I have a South Africa question myself, actually :- that I will ask when I am done traveling (in transit at the moment, from central U.S. to pacific northwest).

All the best,
Sarah

Dick

Post by Dick » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:26 pm

Russell Young mentioned it in an email to me.

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jun 26, 2012 5:12 am

Hello Dick and welcome to Talking Scot!
So Russell has been doing a bit of proselytizing on the side? :lol: Glad you found us and we look forward to hearing about your genealogical mysteries!

All the best,
Sarah

Bendigo Bob

Post by Bendigo Bob » Sun Aug 19, 2012 5:34 pm

Hi TalkingScot,

I came across TalkingScot.com after registering with ScotlandsPeople and opening their "Help & resources - Discussion Groups". As I have very limited information to go on, I now believe your website to be a more appropriate forum to assist me in my family search back before the year 1735, as found below in Background Information Introduction.

I realise that I am searching for a needle in a hay-stack. But as I have come so far since 2010, I am compelled to continue to "Retrace The Journey of My Paternal Australian Descendants" from Australia, across to Canada, down to the USA, across to Ireland and now end my family search with a Scottish Connection hopefully!

It is pure coincidence but there is also an Irish-Scottish Connection on my maternal side, which I will be investigating at some stage in the near future.

Chow for Now!

Bob C.

Background Information:

I initially registered with ScotslandsPeople in the hope that I maybe able to establish a link between my paternal Irish-born g/g/g/g/g-f Robert C. (b. 1735 Belfast, Co Antrim, Ire. ) and Scotland because of a no. of indicators that I believe point to this linkage, namely:

1. His Presbyterian background, which is also known as the Church of Scotland.
2. His joining the Scottish Dr/Rev. Thomas Clark's Scotch-Irish congregation, who migrated to New York in 1764 from Newry, Ireland and known as the "Cahan Exodus". He took up an allotment of farmland on the Rev. Clark's portion of Turner's Patent 1764 at White Creek/New Perth (Charlotte Co) now Salem, Washington Co. Upper NYS.
3. Names associated with Scotland given to his children and passed on down through the generations e.g Robert(obviously), Andrew, Elizabeth & Charles Campbell C. (my g/g/g-f. b. Canada, m. Sydney, without one piece of background detail on his certificate and the linch-pin to my journey.)

Morag_Gunn

Post by Morag_Gunn » Wed Sep 19, 2012 1:24 pm

Google search result for a genealogy query returned talking scot.

JohnnyG

Post by JohnnyG » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:48 am

Originally from Clydebank. Have been researching two family trees covering Glasgow, Edinburgh, Arbroath, Dunfermline, Dunbartonshire and Northern Ireland. Found your website. Hope to trace further details of Scottish ancestors.

Surnames in Scotland include Gardiner, Nimmo, McGregor, Philp, McGuffie, Williamson, Clarke, Kiddie, Wark, Paris, Jack and Porteous.

Surnames in Northern Ireland are Clarke, Porter, Fenn from the Newry, Goragh and Mullaglass areas.

Regards,

JohnnyG
Last edited by JohnnyG on Wed Dec 05, 2012 9:36 am, edited 1 time in total.