Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2005)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Wed Jun 08, 2005 8:43 pm

Good to have you with us, Newlabeluk.
They're all out there somewhere! persistance and perseverance is the key.
and I would add "mutual help".

Happy searching
Catriona

bryanbid

Talking Scot and where did I hear?

Post by bryanbid » Thu Jun 09, 2005 10:53 pm

Hi

I heard about Talking Scot from HeatherK aka Wee Bairn in another life :lol: we met up in another genealogy place which was fun but went down hill fast :cry: anyway there loss is hopefully my gain thanks to HeatherK had lots of laffs talkin to HeatherK the newfie that lives in Nova Stotia aka Nova Scotia :lol: am hoping to make new friends but will be limited to england pages mostly as I am a Lancashire lad.

now will u give Heatherk her cookie ?

JohnDods

thank you DWW

Post by JohnDods » Fri Jun 10, 2005 2:19 am

Hi,
David Webster was our key note speaker at our annual national conference this past weekend.
He is currently on a speaking tour arround NZ, which on occasion crosses proximity in time & space with the British Lions tour, I had the pleasure to present David with a wee gift in the form of an All Blacks flag on Wednesday night :D

He promotes this worthy forum at all this presentations, so expect quite a few kiwi's to join over the next few weeks.
john
John in Wellington,NZ, looking for DODS' anywhere anywhen.
TROTTER on Islay C-1840; McLEAN & WEIR in Statchur, ARL pre-1850; SHIRREFF-Haddington,ELN; DOUGLAS & LYALL of Innerwick,ELN; BENNING in DBN pre 1800; LETHAM & LAMONT in Cadder,LKS pre 1850

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Fri Jun 10, 2005 3:02 am

Hello John,

Welcome to TalkingScot's Forum. Everyone here is very helpful and we wish you much success with your research.

Thanks for the update on DavidW!

Regards
Marilyn
Dogs leave paw prints on your heart.
Maxine Morning b. 23 April 1998 d. 14 Nov. 2008
http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayimage.php?pos=-1718

JohnDods

Post by JohnDods » Fri Jun 10, 2005 8:32 am

Thank you Marilyn for your welcome.
I noticed NICOL in your message footer.
Mine are from Old Kilpatrick, DNB c1830 >1855- 1861 ,Bothwell> Hamilton & Airdie (1880'+ )

cheers
John
John in Wellington,NZ, looking for DODS' anywhere anywhen.
TROTTER on Islay C-1840; McLEAN & WEIR in Statchur, ARL pre-1850; SHIRREFF-Haddington,ELN; DOUGLAS & LYALL of Innerwick,ELN; BENNING in DBN pre 1800; LETHAM & LAMONT in Cadder,LKS pre 1850

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Fri Jun 10, 2005 11:35 am

John,

I'm short for time at the moment, but will contact you later with some details.

Regards
Marilyn

marilyn morning
Global Moderator

Post by marilyn morning » Sat Jun 11, 2005 4:30 am

Hello John

Just sent you a "PM" with the details of these families.

Thank you for your interest.

Regards
Marilyn

janemar

Re: Sturgeons

Post by janemar » Sat Jun 11, 2005 7:54 pm

Hi, janemar, welcome to Talking Scots, I noticed you are researching Weir in Ayrshire, I have a Mary Weir (parents John Weir, Calico Printer and Sarah Thomson, they were from Kilmarnock) Mary Weir married Thomas Muir ......... any connection ?? :roll:
Hi, Linda. A connection is possible but can;t really find it at this stage, but does any of the following mean anything to you? David Weir married Margaret Hamilton 1802 and had a son John (New Cumnock) who married Annie McLymont. They had a son James, born in Barr who married Janet Stevenson. Then their son David married Sarah Sturgeon in Dalmellington. Undoubtedly there are more Weirs scattered around. If it helps John and Annie had a number of children - David, margaret, Annie, Agnes, John and William as well as James, my ancestor. The only mary I ahve come across id a daughter of James and Janet, but this Mary died in infancy- no more than a few months old. Get back to me if I can help with anything more.
Maria

Linda Malpass

Re: Sturgeons

Post by Linda Malpass » Sat Jun 11, 2005 8:56 pm

janemar wrote:
Hi, janemar, welcome to Talking Scots, I noticed you are researching Weir in Ayrshire, I have a Mary Weir (parents John Weir, Calico Printer and Sarah Thomson, they were from Kilmarnock) Mary Weir married Thomas Muir ......... any connection ?? :roll:
Hi, Linda. A connection is possible but can;t really find it at this stage, but does any of the following mean anything to you? David Weir married Margaret Hamilton 1802 and had a son John (New Cumnock) who married Annie McLymont. They had a son James, born in Barr who married Janet Stevenson. Then their son David married Sarah Sturgeon in Dalmellington. Undoubtedly there are more Weirs scattered around. If it helps John and Annie had a number of children - David, margaret, Annie, Agnes, John and William as well as James, my ancestor. The only mary I ahve come across id a daughter of James and Janet, but this Mary died in infancy- no more than a few months old. Get back to me if I can help with anything more.
Maria
Hi Janemar ,,,, my Weirs I believe originated in Kilmarnock, Mary Weir, born 1842 to John Weir and Sarah Thomson, Mary married into my Muir line, she married Thomas Muir, 1868 Kilmarnock.

In my travels I have seen lots of Weirs in the New Cumnock area, as my Hyslop family is from there, also I have McClymonts, but have not made a connection yet. So at this point I don't see a connection with your Weir's ...... good luck with your searches :)
Linda

catbug

Post by catbug » Sun Jun 12, 2005 4:55 pm

I used to post on the discussion group on SP and was disappointed when it closed. I took a little break from researching my family history as my brain was getting fried then when I started again found the link to this site from the new SP site. :)