Where did you hear of TalkingScot? (2005)

TalkingScot asks its members...

Moderator: Global Moderators

StewL

Post by StewL » Wed May 18, 2005 9:30 am

Hi soccerchick aka Kelly

Just for your interest and because you asked :D

Here in Aust we either call it night shift or morning shift (oh wait that last one is ex navy :D )

Did your graveyard shift many a time.
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

soccerchick

Post by soccerchick » Wed May 18, 2005 9:45 am

Stewie,

Thanks for the info. We usually call the different shifts 1, 2nd, or 3rd (Day, Swing, or Graveyard respectively). Which if you really think about it, Graveyard should actually be called 1st (day) because the majority of the coverage is after midnight and falls on the next day. :?

Kelly
Researching: Anderson, Borthwick, Cooper, Dalgleish, Cousin(s), McMurtrie, Morrison (Mathieson), Robertson (Robinson), Wingate, Wyllie

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Wed May 18, 2005 1:21 pm

soccerchick wrote:Davie,

I will be happy to scan the article for you. I will send that this morning when I get home from work (I work graveyard - 3rd shift - 11:00 pm - 6:00 am PST).

Just wondering, but do other countries call 3rd shift the graveyard shift or is this an American slang?

Happy Hunting....

Kelly
Kelly

I greatly look forward to seeing the scan !

Orraverybest

Davie

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Sun May 29, 2005 12:47 pm

Hello All,
just found you via Practical Family History June 2005,
Cathy
Cathy

CatrionaL

Post by CatrionaL » Sun May 29, 2005 1:17 pm

Welcome to Talking Scot, Cathy.

Hope you find the sight helpful.

Catriona

Cathy

Post by Cathy » Sun May 29, 2005 1:47 pm

I'm sure I will. Just getting myself up to speed, going through the old posts first,
Cathy
Cathy

aileenc

Post by aileenc » Sun May 29, 2005 6:30 pm

Hello
Read about the new site in April's Your Family Tree magazine. Overjoyed to find you all again.This site certainly seems more relaxed and cheerful than the SP discussion Group.

Not that I am being critical - I have learned so much over the last few years :D Thank you all

Aileen
Researching:- Cleland, McPhee, Robertson
in West Lothian, Lanarkshire and Renfrewshire.
Scott, Gilmour in Lanarkshire and Ireland
Nesbitt, Muckle in Northumberland

HeatherH
Global Moderator

Post by HeatherH » Mon May 30, 2005 3:04 am

Good to have you with us Aileen.
Happy Hunting
HeatherK
Looking for ...but not limited to Haldane ,Keir ,McLauchlan ,Walker ,Torrance , Reid ,Clark ,Johnstone ,Holmes ,Laurie ,Lawrie ,Strachan , McIlwee ,Welsh ,Queate ,Stewert ,McNight ,Steele ,Cockburn ,Young ....whew! That's more than enough for now.

Jamboesque

Post by Jamboesque » Thu Jun 02, 2005 4:42 pm

Hi Folks,

I found this from the link in Scotlandspeople updated website.

Haven't used the new site in anger yet too busy with work & stuff but it looks nice, a bit brighter than the dull brown/sepia colour they used previously.

I got into the Family History Thing after the BBC prog last year "Who Do You Think You Are?" and with the kind of access supplied by the General Register of Scotland over the Internet I am pretty well hooked. :)

The one thing that used to bug me was the lack of a forum or fora (if that's the plural) to ask daft questions. This genealogy thing is quite singular, I find, and it's quite easy to get stuck on something simple that can be answered with a simple reply.

I can understand why Scotlandspeople didn't carry on with the forum in terms of security and policing aspects, however this looks good so I'll be hanging around for a bit, probably several years by the look o' things.

At present there are 201 people accounted for, so I think they's a way to go, still not found anyone who came to a spectacular end but I'll keep looking! :P
I'd like to be apathetic but I really can't be bothered.

Looking for blacksheep & not finding any with
Groats & Stevensons in Orkney, Hood's in Dundee/Angus, Mclaren's in Clackmannan and Jolly's in Kincardineshire. There may be more!

mesklin

Post by mesklin » Thu Jun 02, 2005 5:10 pm

Jamboesque

Welcome to TalkingScot. There are no daft questions, but we don't always guarantee sensible answers. :D

We try to help as much as we can, and we try to make TalkingScot membership an enjoyable experience as well as a useful one.

Most of our experts started off here and on SP as beginners asking simple ( :wink: ) questions.

Mesklin