London Parish Records - Very Helpful

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

London Parish Records - Very Helpful

Post by emanday » Thu Sep 24, 2009 1:26 pm

My grandmother's uncle Thomas moved to London (West Ham) around 1880 with his Canadian born wife and their infant daughter.

While I have been able to get the years their following large family were born, some of their marriages and deaths, I've not been able to get the full story without shelling out for certificates (more than I can afford).

These London Parish records on Ancestry have opened so many doors on that branch of my family that I've moved ahead in huge leaps in a very short time.

A wonderful resource if you have rellies in London.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

trish1

Re: London Parish Records - Very Helpful

Post by trish1 » Fri Jan 15, 2010 12:55 pm

I decided to upgrade my ancestry sub this year & gained access to these records - they are indeed a wonderful resource (despite not all are indexed). Civil marriages to 1921 are available (although may not be complete in every parish) and at a cost of 7 pounds each I think I have already paid for the subscription twice. I didn't think I had alot of Londoners, but some of my folks married there, despite living elsewhere.

I am finding the baptisms interesting - especially after civil registration. One family baptised most of the children on the same day, managed to completely miss one child and baptised another twice. Having the parent names available makes finding the right families very much easier.

Another interesting find in many cases is the copperplate writing - very easy to read - also seeing the signatures (or x's) in the couples own handwriting on the marriages is a bonus. A fabulous resource - especially for those of us who have very little to no chance of getting to London.

Trish