James Edwards Knowles born 1878 - Eckington, Derbyshire

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

carolinewhitehall

James Edwards Knowles born 1878 - Eckington, Derbyshire

Post by carolinewhitehall » Thu Feb 25, 2021 11:58 pm

Hi, The above persons parents would be James Knowles and Alice Plant married Oct 1876. They had 6 children in total and that includes James Edward Knowles. Is there a way of finding out if Harriet Scholey Staton is the correct person for his marriage as there are no details of parents names on fmp and do not want to buy every cert going. I have found a child of James and Harriet (John James Knowles born 1915) burial record in Eckington Parish records. Any help would be appreciate in pointing me in the right direction. Regards Caroline[

arthurk

Re: James Edwards Knowles born 1878 - Eckington, Derbyshire

Post by arthurk » Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:37 pm

In England you'd only be able to find a bridegroom's father's name by ordering a marriage certificate; mothers' names aren't recorded in England. However, by comparing the information in the civil registration indexes (at FindMyPast, or FreeBMD, which I used) and the 1901 and 1911 censuses you can, I think, be reasonably sure of the connection.

From the registration indexes you can find the marriage in 1901 - June quarter, which is later than the census. This is the only marriage between a male Knowles and a female Staton between 1895 and 1915. You can also find John James' birth registration in 1915, showing his mother's maiden name as Staton.

The 1901 census shows James with his parents - RG13/3258 fo181 p20

The 1911 census shows him with a wife named Harriet S Knowles - RG14/21139 sch183, renumbered from 186 (or vice versa - the forms/images have different numbers)
Kennedy (PER > LKS > ARM > England); Campbell, Rutherford, McDonald, Sinclair (all PER)
Wilson, Millar (RFW & LKS); Duncan (LKS); Hastings (KKD) (all > WRY)