Help finding death, please? .....

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

catbug

Post by catbug » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:28 pm

Thanks for the advice everyone - £7 certainly is cheaper than £12 (I don't know where I got that from!) so I'll contact the local registrar as suggested and if I have no luck there I'll try ordering a certificate through the gro website.

Thanks again,

Cat

Rab

Post by Rab » Thu Oct 20, 2005 3:54 pm

DavidWW wrote:No apologies necessary. To be honest, I'm not sure, not having seen that many English certificates. In the few that I have seen there was no relationship info in the RANK OR PROFESSION column.

It could help others to post images here.

David
No problem. I've scanned the two certificates I was talking about. The first is of Mary Marr who died in 1894 in Liverpool. Her husband in recorded in the RANK column and he is also the infirmant too.

Click on image to see full screen

The second is of their child Robert Marr who died on his first birthday in 1887. The father is recorded in the RANK column but this time the mother as informant is also recorded.

Click on image to see full screen

I hope these help. It's a shame there is such a lack of information on these certificates. I still don't know who Mary's mother was but that's another thread. The marriage certificates only list the father (with occupation).
catbug wrote:Thanks for the advice everyone - £7 certainly is cheaper than £12 (I don't know where I got that from!) so I'll contact the local registrar as suggested and if I have no luck there I'll try ordering a certificate through the gro website.

Thanks again,

Cat
Best of luck in your search. I've orderded online at the GRO before and had no problems. The registrar does take longer, or at least the Liverpool one did, but as I said they did allow me to specify criteria.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Oct 20, 2005 4:54 pm

Rab

Thanks for that, - I'm going to ask a good mate south of the border if this was standard practice.............

That's a neat trick with the images, - mind sharing with everyone how to do it?

David

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:25 pm

Hello everyone...

Just to toss my two bits in.....on the DC of my 3xGrGrandmother in Alderton, Gloucestershire 1895 it states that she was a widow and it gives her husbands name and his occupation under the "occupation" column....I also got extrememly lucky in that a nephew was the informant....a nephew whose surname has proven to reveal to me her maiden name!

Best wishes
Jean

Rab

Post by Rab » Thu Oct 20, 2005 6:39 pm

@David- The info appears to vary. A marriage certificate I have from 1876 in Liverpool doesn't contain the actual ages but either "FULL" or "MINOR". An adoption certificate I have from Middlesex in 1927 does not even have the child's given surname nor his birth parents.

BTW I'll send you a message about the images. It's a free hosting site and simple to use.

@Jean- That's great when that happens. I had a similar case when a daughter was informant on her mother's birth certificate. I had not been able to locate her death before then. The signature revealed a different surname from the one I had and it turned out she had married twice.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Thu Oct 20, 2005 9:20 pm

DavidWW wrote:Rab

Thanks for that, - I'm going to ask a good mate south of the border if this was standard practice............. David
Answer from my guid mate... "Simple answer: sometimes! You do not always get so much. The occupation may be missing and (in the elderly) the marital status may not be known by the informant so they leave it off!"

David

Rab

Post by Rab » Fri Oct 21, 2005 12:42 pm

It sounds like it's very much all down to luck then. As someone who has hit a brick wall in Lancashire I can sympathise with people's frustrations. It makes me appreciate all the more how much detail is contained in the Scottish SRs.

DavidWW

Post by DavidWW » Fri Oct 21, 2005 3:59 pm

Courtesy of Sporran have a look at http://www.dixons.clara.co.uk/Index.htm for a top class description of the ins and outs of English and Welsh (not sure of the extent to which the comments apply equally to Ireland/Northern Ireland) statutory records .......

I learnt a lot !!

David

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:05 pm

Hi Catriona

This is the only Robert Caithness in Sunderland in the 1891 census - apart from the son living with him. If this is your man with his family - and it seems to match given the Dundee birthplaces - then I would think you could be 99.9% certain that the Robert Caithness death registered Oct-Dec 1891 just a few months later in the same area would be yours.

If you do buy the certificate then I would think the address would match the one on this census.

1891 Census

RG12/4135
Registration District: Sunderland - Sub Registration District: South Bishop Wearmouth
Enum Dist: 8 - Folio: 22 - Page: 37

Schedule: 252
9 Pemberton Street, Bishopwearmouth, Sunderland

Robert Caithness - Head - Mar - 59 - Stoker on Steam Ship - born Dundee, Scotland
Margaret Caithness - Wife - Mar - 53 - Born Dundee, Scotland
John Caithness - Son - Sing - 23 - Vanman - born Dundee, Scotland
Robert Caithness - Son - Sing - 17 - Boilersmith Apprentice - born Sunderland, Durham
Mary Colman - Boarder - Wid - 52 - born Sunderland, Durham

Mary

catbug

Post by catbug » Fri Oct 21, 2005 11:22 pm

Hello Mary,

Thank you very much for that :D ! I'm certain that's who I'm looking for as everything matches - all the names, ages, birthplaces and Robert's occupation. It's a great help as now I have a more exact place to look when requesting the DC.

Thanks once more,

Cat