A Mitchell in Bannockburn from England .....

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

CMJ

A Mitchell in Bannockburn from England .....

Post by CMJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 11:34 am

I'm researching James Mitchell in Bannockburn, and have come up against the proverbial brick wall. I have the marriage and death certificates for James Mitchell d 7 Jan 1892 age 58 at Craigford, and from the 1881 and 1891 census I know he was born in England, but no detailed address. I also have the names of both his parents. James worked in the coal mines. Can anyone advise me where I should start to look to find out the address. Is there any other source in Scotland that would have that information.

Many thanks

Colin

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:53 pm

Hello Colin - Welcome to Talking Scot :)

Could you maybe give us the names of James Mitchell's parents ? and his age on the census information ?

That could help rule out [ or in] any possibilities
Wilma

CMJ

Hi WilmaM

Post by CMJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 1:16 pm

Thanks for getting back so quickly :) I was looking through TNA magazine Ancestors when I came across this site in the NEWS IN BRIEF column. I am very impressed with everything I have seen so far. I was born in Grantown-on-Spey and immediately recogised the picture of the bridge at Carrbridge.

I have a very confused background. My father was Welsh, my mother was a Scot, my maternal grandfather was born in Bannockburn, and my maternal grandmother was born in Keighley nr Bradford. Lots to keep me busy there :!:

James Mitchell's age on the 1881 census is 47 years. From his marrigae certificate his parents names were James Mitchell and Elizabeth Greenwood. They were both deceased at the time of his marriage. To the best of my knowlegde both parents were born in England. James Mitchell married Margaret Square on 11 September 1862 in Denny. He was 28, she was 27.

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Tue Mar 15, 2005 2:48 pm

The IGI on www.familysearch.org/ has:

2 submitted entries for a James Mitchell born to a James and a version of Elizabeth:

James Mitchell born 29/11/1833, Christened 2/4/1834 Holme In Cliviger, Lancashire, parents :James & Betty Mitchell

and 2 extracted entries:

James John Mitchell - Christening:17/3/1833 All Saints Loughborough, Leicester, Parents: James & Eliza Mitchell

James Rider Mitchell - Christening 3/12/1835 Saint Peter, Leeds, Yorkshire parents: James & Elizabeth Mitchell

The only Elizabeth Greenwood that I can find marrying a Mitchell around the right time is:

ELIZABETH GREENWOOD - International Genealogical Index
Marriage: 01 APR 1823 Bingley, Yorkshire, but she married a John Mitchell

There was a James born to a John & Betty Mitchell , Christened 13/9/1835 Long Preston, Yorkshire.

The plot thickens.....

A look for him on the 1861 census [ whenever we get our hands on it !] could help as it's just before his marriage.
Wilma

CMJ

Thank you.

Post by CMJ » Tue Mar 15, 2005 4:01 pm

I think you have found Elizabeth Greenwood :D

I have had another look at James Mitchell's death certificate, and there his father is listed as John Mitchell with a profession of Cotton Weaver... Bingley is in "cotton weaving territory". I should have given you both forenames, but I wrongly supposed that since all the others listed were James, that John was one of those "mistakes" that genealogists talk about.

I had searched the LDS database before, and not found anything close to what I am looking for, but my skills are obviously not as great as yours. I obviously need lots more practice. Well done and thank you very much for all your help.

If I have found the person I am looking for, I think things will get a lot tougher to find from now on, but perhaps this John Mitchell will eventually lead me back to Scotland. I hope so.

Looks like a phone call for a marriage certificate is in order:!:
Many thanks

Colin