Pharmaceutical Connections? .....

Southern part of Great Britain

Moderator: Global Moderators

AnneM
Global Moderator

Pharmaceutical Connections? .....

Post by AnneM » Sun Mar 27, 2005 3:21 pm

Hi folks

I'm looking for a percentage likelihood of a connection here. I'm getting too close to the data so thought I would try a wider audience. Mary has already been deeved about them on frequent occasions and has found so much information for me.

James Boorne Corfe was born in Salisbury in 1728 to John Corfe and Lucretia Borne. He was an apothecary in Stockbridge outside Winchester and is my husband's 4 x great grandfather.

Also born in Salisbury in 1741 is Joseph Corfe who married someone called Mary Bernard and became organist at Salisbury Cathedral. (If anyone from the UK saw 'Mr Harvey Lights a Candle' on BBC1 last night the school kids walked on Joseph and Mary's tomb.) His son followed him as organist and they had quite an interesting family. An IGI submission gives Joseph's father also as Joseph. Mary E. found the names of a considerable number of James' brothers and sisters and Joseph is certainly not among them.

Now in Southampton, which is not too far from Winchester and also in Hampshire, in the late C18 early C19 are apothecaries called George Richard and George Bernard Corfe. I know of their existence through trade directories and arcbive material in the Hampshire Record Office. I think that George Richard was the father of George Bernard though I have not yet managed to prove this. He certainly had a son called George, they practised from the same address in the 1840s and their marriages (to Bella Graham and Sarah Bayntum respectively) are the right number of years apart. As well as the name Bernard, I have evidence of a connection to the Cathedral Corfes from mentions of a Mr Belin who was married to Joseph's daughter Mary Bernard Corfe.

We also have a Robert Cary Corfe who died in Salisbury in 1823 aged 80, found by Mary. James had a grandson with an identical name.

I am almost obsessed with connecting all these Corfes. As I've said I have linked the Catherdral Corfes with the Southampton apothecaries and RCC is almost certainly linked with James. What does anyone think is the likelihood of there being a link to find between James and Joseph and family. (There is also another lot of Victorian Corfes in Winchester who are apothecaries and drapers etc. who I still have to link in but I will leave them out for now!)

Hope you can follow this. Not sure I can.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Sun Mar 27, 2005 9:03 pm

While browsing the internet came across the following in a History of Salisbury Cathedral Choir. Think it helps me but not sure.

"Before leaving the eighteenth century mention must be made of the family of Corfe who were intimately connected with the cathedral and the choristers over a span of about one-hundred-and-seventy years. First there had been John Corfe who came from Winchester in 1692 and was a good lay clerk as was his brother, Thomas. Four of John's sons, John, Robert, Charles and James were all choristers. Another son, Joseph, had a son who was a chorister and later lay vicar attaining the position of organist between 1792 and 1804. His son succeeded his father as organist which post he held for fifty-nine years until he died in 1863."

My James also had a grandson Thomas.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

MaryE

Post by MaryE » Sun Mar 27, 2005 10:21 pm

Hi Anne

Good to see the Corfes up and running again! Have just come across this website - http://www.aim25.ac.uk/cgi-bin/search2? ... inst_id=25 - which refers to papers relating to the 'organ building families including .... the Corfes' (see 'Contents' section). Looks as if it's the result of fairly recent research by a musicologist with the papers deposited in the Royal College of Music.

Mary