any kind soul to do a look up

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

crayspond

any kind soul to do a look up

Post by crayspond » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:23 pm

Hello All,

Has anyone access to emeraldancestors out there? I would be grateful if anyone could look up the following marriages for me

Robert
YOUNG
to
Mary Jane
Antrim

and

Robert
YOUNG
to
Mary Jane
Down

This is Mary Jane's 2nd marriage her name to her 1st husband was Cosgrove and before that she was Bruce. I have the details of her marriage to James Cosgrove but her 2nd marriage is the family connection.

Thanks if anyone can help.

Ailsa

Bardany

Re: any kind soul to do a look up

Post by Bardany » Sat Jul 03, 2010 2:12 pm

There is a record of Robert Young marrying Mary Jane Cosgrove on 2nd February 1903 in St. Anne's church of Ireland. robert Young is shown as aged 35 and Mary Jane 36. He lived at Millfield in Belfast and she at 37 Boyd Street, Belfast. He is described as a Labourer and she as a dealer. His father was also Robert and he is shown as a Fowl Dealer. The wife's father is shown as Henry Bruce a labourer.

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sat Jul 03, 2010 4:39 pm

Hi Bardany,
Many thanks for that information. Especially the age and address of Robert Young and the name of his father - important details when you have nothing else to go on!
My husband's gran was their daughter Sarah Young born 6/3/1906 in Belfast. All we had on Robert Young was his name on her birth cert and mother Mary Jane Cosgrove formerly Bruce. I managed to get the 1st marriage to James Cosgrove

21 december 1889 at st patreicks roman catholic church, belfast
james cosgrove, age 28, bachelor, dealer, carrick hill, father - thomas
cosgrove (deceased), dealer
mary jane bruce, age 24, spinster, dealer, carrick hill, father - henry
bruce (deceased), dealer
witnesses - patrick darcy and elizabeth darcy
married by john mcdonnell c.c.

This is all i managed to find for Mary Jane and Robert Young

Civil Marriage Date of Marriage 2 Feb 1903 Groom Name robert YOUNG Bride Name mary jane COSGROVE Church Saint Annes Church of Ireland Parish Shankill Civil District Belfast County Antrim.

So thanks again for the extra information. I have no idea when any of them died. On the 1901 census Mary Jane is there as a widow with 3 Cosgrove children at 37 Boyd St, he must have died between 1889 and 1901. She pops up on the 1911 census at 17 Boyd St she is still Mary Jane Cosgrove with 2 Cosgrove children and the additional 2 children to Robert Young - funnily she is also stated as being a widow.
Sarah never spoke much about her parents as far as we can remember - she married in Glasgow aged 17 but when and how she went there is a mystery.
Sorry if it sounds confusing but i just wanted to fill you in a bit.

Regards
Ailsa

nelmit

Post by nelmit » Sat Jul 03, 2010 6:43 pm

Hi Ailsa,

I wonder if this is the death registration of Robert Young from Family Search Beta site .....

Name Robert Young
Registration district Belfast
Record type DEATHS
Registration date - quarter and year Jan - Mar 1907
Estimated birth year 1868
Age 39
Film number 0101603
Volume 1
Page 323
Digital GS number 4201707
Image number 00298

Regards,
Annette

crayspond

Post by crayspond » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:17 pm

Hi Annette,
That does seem to fit in with his age when he married.Just having the age on the marriage cert from Bardany does help with a few things. My husband says his gran said she was raised in a convent type place. He always thought she was an orphan from birth but as we have since found out from her birth cert and the censuses this was not the case.
In the 1911 census Sarah Young is 5 and her sister Lizzie is 7. It could be Mary Jane died soon after and they were put in a home. The Cosgrove half siblings maybe could not or would not look after them. Can you see any death for Mary Jane from 1911 by any chance?

Regards
Ailsa

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Sat Jul 03, 2010 11:21 pm

Hi Ailsa

The indexes on the Family Search beta site are free to search - you can get there by clicking on the link in Annette's post.

Best wishes
Lesley

dizzybint

Post by dizzybint » Sun Oct 17, 2010 3:03 pm

Having bother finding out much aboot my granda, George Foster, born in a workhouse in Clogher NI.. I think 1882, he was an orphan brought up by two sisters, but came to Scotland in his late teens with my granny Margaret Maguire. all I can find is he lived in a Commerce st, and Harlow st in NI where though it doesnt say.. he was also in the Eniskillen Militia but Id love to find out more.. IM going to that area at New Year if anyone needs photos from around there, please let me know... as I dont mind driving round towns and villages..