Robert Johnston and Margaret Dempsey

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

honda

Robert Johnston and Margaret Dempsey

Post by honda » Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:15 am

Can anyone help me find information on Robert Johnston born 1822 Aintree Aghalee Ireland and Margaret Dempsey Born ? Ireland. They married 6 November 1840 Antrim Ireland and moved to Scotland ? Roberts father was also a Robert Johnston and mother Mary ?. Margaret Dempseys mother was Mary Clark? Thankyou

LesleyB

Re: Robert Johnston and Margaret Dempsey

Post by LesleyB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 8:10 am

Hi honda
..and welcome to Talking Scot. :D
They married 6 November 1840 Antrim Ireland and moved to Scotland ?
Does the question mark here mean that you are not sure if they moved to Scotland or moved elsewhere?

If your couple moved to Scotland and stayed here then they should be able to be found on the census - have you explored this yet? Also if either of them died in Scotland there may be parent info given at that time. Do you kow when and where they died?

Best wishes
Lesley

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:40 am

Hello honda and welcome,
As Lesley said, finding your couple in the death certificates in Scotland (if they died in Scotland) would give you information about their parents. With such a common name, however, you'll need to track them down in the censuses in order to be sure you are finding the correct certificate with a likely place of death, etc. There are a number of possible families in the censuses in Scotland, but none with exactly the birth date you suggest for Robert. Do you know the names and ages of their children? That would make it much easier to identify the correct household.

All the best,
Sarah

Currie

Post by Currie » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:07 am

Hello All,

There’s some info about this family here but is it accurate? Last updated 2005 it seems.
http://familytreemaker.genealogy.com/us ... -0520.html

All the best,
Alan

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Fri Oct 21, 2011 11:07 am

Thanks for that, Alan,
According to that site there is a death cert for Robert who died 17 Mar 1875 in Old Monkland
Also for Margaret who died 1892 in Bairdsland, West Maryston. Given that her parents are given as "Dempsey" and "Mary Clark" I would guess that her death cert doesn't give her father's first name.

The children are given as follows:
William 1855
Robert 1849
James 1852
Margaret 1857
Elizabeth 1859
Thomas 1861

In 1861, when he was a "labourer at port" on the website, I find a "Harbour Labourer" of that name in Anderston, Glasgow at 63 Clyde Street, age 35, wife Margt 28 (which would make her about age 7 at marriage!) and children Eliza age 10, William age 6, Robert age 3 and James age 6 Mo. I don't think this is the right family (see below).

In 1871, the census reproduced on the website, Robert is a coalminer in Old Monkland, age 49. Margaret is now 31 on the Ancestry transcription (so married at age 1 now! Surely that is a transcription error and she is really 51) and children Robert 22, James 19, William 16, Marget 14, Elizabeth 12 and Thomas 9

The information on that site re: children, etc, seems to have been taken from the 1871 census. The 1861 census cited is from another family with children with similar names, but different birth dates. The 1861 census of the same family as the 1871 census cited are in Old Monkland, but spelled Johnstone. There is an older son John who does not appear in 1871 and would most likely be off on his own by then. He is 16 in 1861 and was born in Aintree, Ireland. The next child down was born in Old Monkland in about 1848, So that gives an approximate time for the family's move to Scotland (between 1845-1848).

According to the site it was a son, John, who was the informant on his mother's death certificate.

If William was really born in 1855, there should be additional information on his birth certificate in that magical year and might be worth downloading.

Regards,
Sarah

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 1:13 pm

There is a parish of Aghalee in Co Antrim, and within that parish there is also a townland called Aghalee. I have not come across Aintree in connection with that area. Assuming it’s a sound alike I can’t think of anything that it might be.

Though most Irish censuses pre 1901 have been destroyed some of the 1851 census for Co Antrim survived, and the parish of Aghalee is in that bit. There are several Johnston families listed, but none with a Robert & Mary (though of course they may have been dead by 1851).

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/derek.hawt ... m5112.html

Statutory recording of non RC marriages began in Ireland on 1.4.1845. RC marriages were registered from 1.1.1864. So you won’t find a stat marriage cert for the 1840 marriage in Co Antrim. You would need to rely on church records.

Looking at the 1901 Irish census, there are 17 Johnstons listed. All are Church of Ireland (Ie Episcopalian). No Dempsey families in Aghalee in the 1901 census. Dempsey is a common name in Co Antrim. Religious denomination varies. Majority in the 1901 census were RC, but quite a few were Presbyterian and Church of Ireland.

Tradition was to marry in the bride’s church. Could be tricky finding that if Margaret didn’t come from Aghalee parish. I’d start by looking for the marriage in the Aghalee Church of Ireland parish records, failing that try the RC and Presbyterian records. Copies are held in PRONI, Belfast.
Elwyn

honda

Post by honda » Sun Oct 23, 2011 3:57 am

Thankyou to all that replied. I really am after the parents of Robert Johnston and Margaret Dempsey. I have death records, Census, children etc, just dont know who the parents are. I am still looking for a correct birth date for Margaret Dempsey. They have 3 sons John b 1845, James b 1852 and William b 1855, As yet have not been able to find out if they were born in Ireland or Scotland. Thanks heaps if anyone has this family tree or information!

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Sun Oct 23, 2011 8:00 am

honda wrote:I really am after the parents of Robert Johnston and Margaret Dempsey. I have death records, Census, children etc, just dont know who the parents are.
What does it say for parents on Robert's death record?
honda wrote: They have 3 sons John b 1845, James b 1852 and William b 1855, As yet have not been able to find out if they were born in Ireland or Scotland.
On ScotlandsPeople there is 1 William Johnston born in 1855 in Old Monkland. Have you looked at this certificate? It could be very informative, since 1855 birth certificates give more information than any other:

http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk/Content/H ... ?r=554&402
1855 birth records were very detailed and are a boon to the family historian. In addition to details about the child (date, place and time of birth, full name, sex), the parents' names (including maiden surname of mother), father's occupation, name of informant and relationship to child, an 1855 birth certificate also contains information on siblings, the ages and birthplaces of both parents, their usual residence and the date and place of their marriage. Such detail proved difficult to sustain and entries were modified from 1856.
Regards,
Sarah

honda

Post by honda » Mon Oct 24, 2011 8:08 am

Thanks Sarah, yes I use Scotlands People but John, James and William are not there. The William you mentioned is not my William, but thankyou!!! Robert Johnston and Margaret Dempsey married 1840 Ireland. I guess these boys were born in Ireland. I would say they came to Scotland in 1855/1856 as their daughter Margaret Johnston was born 9 March 1856 Old Monkland Western District as per Scotlands People. I will keep looking!!!!!!!!!! thanks heaps.

LesleyB

Post by LesleyB » Mon Oct 24, 2011 9:12 am

Hi Honda
I guess these boys were born in Ireland.
The census should tell you where they were born if they are still in Scotland.... maybe try 1861.

Best wishes
Lesley