Irish Widow In Scotland

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

Mixpal

Irish Widow In Scotland

Post by Mixpal » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:24 am

Hi Fellow Researchers,

Hope people are still searching for ancestors.
This might be a long shot, but wondering if anyone knows details about the 1851 widow
Jane McCulloch 59, at 7 Carnbroe Ironworks Monkey Row, Bothwell, Lanark, Scotland.
She is with 32 yo son Thomas Cowie, a daughter Jane McCulloch 18, & 2nd son
William McCulloch 16. They were all born in Ireland.
Apparently her surname was recorded as Cowie in 1841. Thanks Mixpal

kitkat27

Re: Irish Widow In Scotland

Post by kitkat27 » Thu Jul 16, 2020 2:35 pm

Hi Mixpal.

Had a quick look.
Mother Jane and Thomas Cowie are still appearing on the census for 1861. (she has an interesting looking job) she has reverted back to Cowie for a surname again.
Couldn't find any death for Jane so possibly moved back to Ireland?
They both disappear in 1871 (or i just haven't found them on my quick perusal)
Then Thomas Cowie reappears in 1881 but appears to now state that he was born in Edinburgh not Ireland.
He either has a really thick irish accent that the census taker couldn't understand or he lied about his birth place somewhere along the line.

Hope this helps a little bit to steer you in the right direction to keep looking.

KT

Mixpal

Post by Mixpal » Fri Jul 17, 2020 7:27 am

Thanks KT,
It gets tricky if people move on & you don't know where they go.
I understand the name changing can be due to receiving a pension under the 1st name.
As I can't see the interesting occupation, I'm curious, what is it? Cheers, Mixpal

kitkat27

Post by kitkat27 » Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am

From my (limited) experience if you keep plugging away at it they eventually pop back up, sometimes you just haven't thought of something, for instance Jane could have remarried and be under her new married name.

The name change could also be because in Scotland you are allowed to use your maiden name even if you are married, and sometimes widows reverted back to their maiden name, in this case however it might just easier as its the son's name.
You didn't much information about where Jane was before and any previous marriages etc so I just guessed Cowie may be her maiden name.

I currently have free access to Ancestry online through my local library (if you live in the Uk and have a library card you may also be able to access this)
and the transcribed records (which obviously can be a little out sometimes) states that her Occupation is
Of An Officer Of 4 M Customs Sevice
which is intriguing to say the least.

Keep plugging away and I'm sure you'll find out much more information than the limited stuff I have.

KT

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Fri Jul 17, 2020 6:48 pm

Hi Mixpal,

It is worth having a look at the original document on the ScotlandsPeople website. There it looks like she is the widow of an officer of HM Customs Service.

All the best,

AndrewP

Mixpal

Post by Mixpal » Sat Jul 18, 2020 9:53 am

Thank you KT and Andrew P
That's rather interesting as I've helped someone else with that occupation in their family history.
The message board is a last resort as the 'plugging away' has expired.
I realise that Scotland was ahead of its time with females allowed to use their maiden name.
I am trying to find her parents & siblings.
Had a Library Card, but it's also expired, & I am not in a position to travel any more; the internet is my last resort.
Thanks so much for your interest, Mixpal

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Sat Jul 18, 2020 12:25 pm

kitkat27 wrote:
Fri Jul 17, 2020 11:20 am

The name change could also be because in Scotland you are allowed to use your maiden name even if you are married, and sometimes widows reverted back to their maiden name, in this case however it might just easier as its the son's name.
KT
Just to clarify,
Firstly, in Scotland it is perfectly legal to call yourself by any name you wish provided you are not doing so for illegal reasons.
Secondly - a person retains their birthname throughout their life and any names they may acquire/adopt are added as "or" and sometimes as "Also known as"
e.g Jane Cowie marries a McCulloch and becomes known for legal purposes as Jane Cowie or McCulloch
if their spouse died it was quite normal, until the latter part of Victorian times, for the widow to revert to her maiden name and it was also quite normal that upon her own death even if buried with her spouse that she would be recorded on any headstone under her maiden name.
~RJ Paton~

Mixpal

Post by Mixpal » Tue Jul 21, 2020 3:22 am

Hi Falkyrn,
Apologies for late reply.
There's always distractions, or something which needs attention.
I'll leave it there at the moment otherwise I'll turn into Rambling Rose
or Babbling Brook! Thanks Mixpal

Mixpal

Post by Mixpal » Fri Jul 31, 2020 2:07 am

Thank you for the help received re Jane Cowie/McCulloch.
It was very interesting to learn she was involved in Customs.
I got a bit mixed up with that - previously I did some work
involving Coastguards, the site is quite informative -
Coastguards of Yesteryear. Checked that & there was only one
Mr. Cowie, born much later than this lady & her 1st husband.
Have always thought that she married twice, so don't know her maiden name.
Coastguards, Customs, Tide Waiters seem to overlap a bit.
Anyhow, time to embark on the next Family History situation. Cheers, Mixpal