mccormicks ireland to scotland .....

Northern Ireland and Eire

Moderator: Global Moderators

stumack

mccormicks ireland to scotland .....

Post by stumack » Tue Jun 12, 2007 12:24 am

looking for info on great grandfather, born abt 1860 co. armagh ireland.he married mary ann knox dec 31 1881 paisley, scotland.had two brothers who came to scotland.thomas- married elizabeth hillis nov 1881 belfast ireland. they had son william 1883 greenock. other brother henry john mcccormick is listed in the 1891 censusin paisley living with brother thomas. he married jane hillis aug 10 1892 in paisley.the family resided around the greenock, gourock, glasgow area into the mid 1950s . in the early 1900s to 1940s were fishmongers in renfrew, and greenock.

sheilajim

Post by sheilajim » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:12 am

Hi Stumack

Welcome to Talking Scot. There are many people here who can help you in your search. :D

Exactly what information are you looking for? What was your grandfather's name? The more information given, the easier it is to help you.

Regards
Sheila

Russell

Post by Russell » Tue Jun 12, 2007 1:25 am

Hi Stumack

From your information you appear to have already accessed the 1891 census for Paisley. I presume then that you have already found the scotlandspeople website. If your gt-grandfather married Mary Ann Knox in 1881 then there should be a record of the marriage on the same site just waiting to be downloaded (after you have paid for it of course!)

All BDM's in Scotland after 1855 had to be registered. This record would give you his and her parents names, occupations, possibly addresses, ages of the couple, names of witnesses, minister, where they were married. This would help you, possibly, find out more about his parents although Irish records are not quite so easy as the Scots ones.

Russell
Working on: Oman, Brock, Miller/Millar, in Caithness.
Roan/Rowan, Hastings, Sharp, Lapraik in Ayr & Kirkcudbrightshire.
Johnston, Reside, Lyle all over the place !
McGilvray(spelt 26 different ways)
Watson, Morton, Anderson, Tawse, in Kilrenny

stumack

Post by stumack » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:06 pm

hi russell
thanks for the reply.i have done that. his fathers name is thomas mccormick, deceased at the time of their marriage. his mothers name is isabella farquhar. witneses names mean nothing to me so far.

stumack

Post by stumack » Tue Jun 12, 2007 11:15 pm

hi sheila
thanks for replying.my grandfathers name is also robert mccormick. born 1897 greenock scotland. died after 1956 in scotland.last address i have for himm is 113 dunlop street, glasgow. occupation listed as fish salesman.

Helen G

McCormick's and Knox

Post by Helen G » Sun Jun 24, 2007 12:42 am

Hi stumack

I have heaps of info on the Knox family from the Greenock area as my ggrandmother was Mary Hester Knox married to John Murray( my ggrandfather), her parents were William John Knox who worked as a shoemaker (born 6 Nov 1836 ireland) and his wife was Jane Doherty (brn abt Abt. 1839, Aughil, Magilligan, Londonderry, Ireland).

William and Jane married 22 Jan 1859, Londonderry Civil Registrars Office,Templemore Londonderry.

William's parents being;
William Knox and Eliza Cochrane (the Greenock connection)
but William's grandfathers name was William J Knox born abt 1797 who married Annie Jane Elizabeh McCormick brn abt 1798 (guesstimate dates on my part because I have not been to Ireland to trace exact dates).

If this is a connection to your family I would be glad to hear from you.

Kind regards
Helen
Helen from west coast of Scotland

Looking for the following familys from Ireland and Greenock, Murray's, Kelly's, Knoxs, Dixon, Cook, Maguire and Canning Clans as well as the Burow family from Germany

mossy

Post by mossy » Mon Jun 25, 2007 12:22 pm

Hello Stumack
This looks like marriage details in Ireland.

Record Type Civil Marriage
Date of Marriage 21 Feb 1850
Groom Name thomas MCCORMICK
Bride Name isabella FARQUHAR
Church Mullavilly Church of Ireland
Parish Kilmore
Civil District Armagh
County Armagh

stumack

mccormicks and knox

Post by stumack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:52 pm

hello hellen g
thanks for the info, but so far i can not see a link between my mccormicks and knoxes and yours.

stumack

Post by stumack » Mon Jun 25, 2007 11:04 pm

hello mossy
thank you very much for the information. i have not been able to find any decent ireland sites which do not cost for searches. i have their son thomas being born abt 1855, so that looks
like it could be the info i am looking for. if you have any info on the births of thomas abt 1855, robert abt 1860, or henry abt 1866 or any other children i have not yet found it would be very muchly appreciated. thank you once again for the marriage info.

AudreyT

Re: mccormicks ireland to scotland .....

Post by AudreyT » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:44 pm

Hi, it’s been a long while since your post but I am researching family tree and this forum popped up when I typed in Robert Mccormick, fishmonger. As this is all I know.
My great grandmother ( Jeanie carse sturrock Woodward Mccormick) married him in 1931. She died whilst married to him in 1938. She was only 31 (extensive burns, pneumonia).
I am starting to believe he would have had children previously.
My grandmother was born in 1928. No father on her birth certificate (Helen).
I have copies of certificates with Mary Ann Knox and all the others.
If you are still on here please respond and we could possibly help each other as I don’t know what happened to my 10 year old grandmother after her mother’s death until her marriage to my grandfather which was in 1947. 9 years with no trace.
I’m excited for you to reply.
Audrey x
They all lived at 3 Gabriel street, Greenock in 1938.
Last edited by AudreyT on Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.