French Franc

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

fmackay

French Franc

Post by fmackay » Tue Sep 11, 2007 12:53 pm

Have found a French franc note which I believe belonged to my grandfather. It is dated 1916. the condition of it is not too bad - it has been kept flat and in a wee wallet along with a card telling my grandfather to take his Protection Certifcate along to a Post Office where an account book will be issued to him. It is dated 19th Feb 1919.
Looking for
Mackay Morrison Manson - Sutherland
Bain Sinclair Gunn Henderson Levack Dunnet Lyall More Corner Miller-Caithness
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:18 pm

What a great find :) That's one treasure you'll want to keep protected. I'd never actually heard of a Protection Certificate...what was your grandfather's for :?: I've just Googled and a few sites came up that seem interesting.

Regards,
Anne H

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Tue Sep 11, 2007 3:29 pm

Hi Anne
I'm not sure at all what it would've been for. I have uploaded the card but other than that i have no further information. I would like to find out more though! I also googled but am none the wiser really. :shock:

http://talkingscot.com/gallery/displayi ... ?pos=-1354

Gallery URL added - AndrewP
Looking for
Wylie Brown Louttit Banks Hourston Spence Drever Bews Irvine Whitelaw/Whitelay Linklater - Orkney

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:15 pm

Oh, it's for the army...wonder if it might have something to do with his pension :?:

Regards,
Anne H

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:34 pm

It wouldn't have something to do with his wife having access to part of his service pay while he was away, could it?
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

Anne H
Global Moderator

Post by Anne H » Tue Sep 11, 2007 4:43 pm

That sounds interesting, Mary. I put his Reg number into Ancestry to see if there were any records but didn't see anything on that number.

Regards,
Anne H

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:10 pm

I'm grateful for all your suggestions and help - can't find anything else that would answer the question.
Looking for

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:16 pm

Fiona:

Why not post your query under the title 'Protection Certificate' in the Armed Forces thread, where it might be read by someone with more ideas on what it might be?

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

fmackay

Post by fmackay » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:17 pm

Good idea! :D Thanks.
Looking for

Maisie

Post by Maisie » Tue Sep 11, 2007 5:20 pm

Hi all

This looks like it might answer the question.The clue for me was the 11/18 on the bottom line which as an ex civil servant I guessed meant the date the postcard was produced, so it had to be something to do with the end of the war.

http://www.1914-1918.net/demobilisation.htm

Best wishes

Maisie