More searching in Germany

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

csa

More searching in Germany

Post by csa » Mon Jan 28, 2008 7:04 pm

Hi
I am just starting to look for ancestors from Germany. Can you help?

I am looking for German ancestors of a couple who emigrated to Leith, Scotland in the mid nineteenth century (1848). Their names are Jacob Christiansen (b Flenburg 1816) and his wife Wilhelmina (known as Eliza, b von Zumfelde in Hamburg 1825)

I have tried the LDS site with no success and cannot find any trace of Jacob's death on Scotland's People. Interestingly he was not buried with his wife and children in an Edinburgh cemetery. Apparently he was a ship owner in Hamburg and lost his ships at sea and then decided to move to Leith, Edinburgh. I believe he died in 1858 the same year as his three year old son ( I have the son's death certificate)

I have found Eliza's Scottish death certificate which shows her father's name was William (or Wilhelm) and her mother's name was Dorothea Hermes. Eliza is supposed to have been born (and probably married )in Hamburg. Is there any way I can find out more about her birth / marriage / siblings / ancestors etc on line?

Many thanks

Carolyn
Stewart-Renfrewshire, Highlands, Leith
Johnstone - Strathmiglo, Leith
Harman - Reading, London
Christianson - Edinburgh
Jamieson - Shetland, New Zealand

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Mon Jan 28, 2008 9:04 pm

Hi Carolyn,
Well, I found a Jacob Christiansen in the Hamburg directory of 1847, but he appears to be a buyer for some company, so probably not him? Not that it tells you much anyway, except the address.

What leads you to believe that he died the same year as his son? I see that he is in North Leith in 1851 and his wife is head in 1861, but do you have another reason to suspect he died that year? There is a Jacob Christiensen, age 42, who arrived in New York in 1857 from Rotterdam-- Could he have done a runner? Later: No, that one appears to be actually from Holland and settled in Wisconsin

I hope someone will come along who knows how to find records in Germany, to help you take the families back. Jacob seems to have come from an area that was sometimes Denmark, hence his birthplace as Denmark in the 1851 census. You have probably seen the Wikipedia article:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flensburg

All the best,
Sarah

csa

Post by csa » Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:17 am

Hi Sarah
Many thanks for your reply.
I got Jacob's death date from an old family tree, so I have assumed it's correct. As you say it fits the 1861 census info.
It could be "my" Jacob in the phone book because I think he was also a ship's broker (or ?buyer). Could you send me the address and let me know how you accessed the phone book.
Many thanks
Carolyn
Stewart-Renfrewshire, Highlands, Leith
Johnstone - Strathmiglo, Leith
Harman - Reading, London
Christianson - Edinburgh
Jamieson - Shetland, New Zealand

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jan 29, 2008 9:15 am

Hi Carolyn,
There are two entries for him in the directory, perhaps one a home address and the other his business. I'm emailing you the info.
Cheers,
Sarah