Not Scottish ancestry - but any help appreciated

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

emanday
Global Moderator

Not Scottish ancestry - but any help appreciated

Post by emanday » Sun Nov 19, 2006 9:29 pm

My side (Scottish and Irish) I am gradually getting there with some of them, but...

My husband born in Ankara Turkey in 1944, whose ancestry reads like the United Nations, is causing me no end of problems! By the way, my husband served in the Royal Navy for 24 years.

His father was British by reason of HIS Grandfather having been born in Malta. He even worked for the British Consultate/Embassy in Istanbul and Ankara during the WW1 war years. My husband's mother, who worked for the American Embassy in Istanbul and Ankara, was of Greek / Italian ancestry, but her first language was French - just to add to the confusion!

So, you are asking yourself, why am I bringing this up on an essentially Scottish based forum? Well, I'm hoping that someone might have some ideas on how I get information about my late husband's parents.

Why have I suddenly asked this today? Well, today is the ninth anniversary of the date my husband died.

I'd really like to find a way of tracing his ancestry to add his family history to mine, for my kids.

If anyone has any ideas, I'd really welcome any suggestions.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

pinkshoes

Post by pinkshoes » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:04 am

Hello Mary

I'm afraid I haven't got a clue in answer to your question, but I couldn't ignore your post on this anniversary. God bless.

Best wishes
Pinkshoes

paddyscar
Site Admin

Post by paddyscar » Mon Nov 20, 2006 1:11 am

Hi Emanday:

I'd check with your local library, where they may have something on searching in foreign countries and also the Consulate to see if they have any guidelines or pamphlets.

I checked for websites, and I'm sure that a few will lead back to LDS, but some may be independent.

Index for Turkey. This is the university index for the TCS Genealogy for universities in Turkey. Bilkent University (1 entry) http://www.sigact.acm.org/genealogy/index-Turkey.html Best of luck,

Frances
John Kelly (b 22 Sep 1897) eldest child of John Kelly & Christina Lipsett Kelly of Glasgow

Jockbird

Post by Jockbird » Mon Nov 20, 2006 9:10 am

Hello Mary,

Sorry I didn't see your post yesterday, what a lovely thought and no better day to start.

I've just googled "malta genealogy", with it in the " " and loads of different pages came up, that said, you don't say if you know your husband's grandfather's name.

Wishing you every luck with this search.

Love
Donna :wink:
x

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Mon Nov 20, 2006 12:28 pm

Thanks Pinkshoes.

I'm going to give those links a try, Frances.

Donna, I hadn't thought of googling that - must have a look.

Unfortunately, we have very little information beyond his parents' names. I know neither he nor his brother and sister ever knew their grandparents and his mother never talked about her parents. The only photographs I've ever seen are only of the immediate family and friends. The only aunts and uncles ever mentioned were "hororary" rather than blood relatives.

I think I may have to contact the relevant Consulates.
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)