Callaghan & Brady BMD certs?

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

mcblondie

Callaghan & Brady BMD certs?

Post by mcblondie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 4:00 pm

Hi everyone,

I'm stumped, as most of you know i'm tracing my rellies, the Lithuanian ones have made me put a hold on there's just now as I am awaiting certs from the Lithy Archives. :)

Anyway, i decided to delve further into my grandmothers background as I was told by old rellies that somewhere along the line one of my granny's ancestors was in the Swiss Guards (protecting the Pope)... not sure about the truth to this, so i am trying to go back and see if i can find any truth in this. Thing is, i'm having trouble trying to locate my granny's g.g. grandfather.

My gran Mary Callaghan D.O.B. 1895 Lanark born to William and Annie Callaghan (m.s. Summers) William was born to Michael and Frances Callaghan (m.s. Renwick) Michael D.O.B. around 1843 (died 1904) was born to Michael and Mary Callaghan (m.s. Brady) and that's where i hit my brick wall. I can't seem to find any BMD certs for Michael or Mary, which make me think they may have came from Ireland? or elsewhre as I can't find a birth cert for Michael jnr or Marriage & Death certs for Michael and Mary.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanking you all in advance
Katie
Callaghan or Callahan & Callachan - Blantyre & Ireland. Polockus -(many variations) Blantyre, Bellshill & Lithuania, Worldwide. Young and Boyle - Hamilton and Fife also Ireland. O'Donnell from Hamilton and Ireland Hastie from Fife also Burns from Fife

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Tue Jan 16, 2007 8:32 pm

Hi there

Did you check the 1851 census for a young Michael with parents? Do you know occupations for these people? If found it should state where they were born...or at least Ireland if it were so. With surnames such as you're listing it will be remarkable if they are not from Ireland! :lol:

Best wishes
Jean

mcblondie

Callaghan

Post by mcblondie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:18 pm

Hi Jean,

I downloaded the 1871 census and found a Michael with some family members living in Durham, England. That's where my g.grandfather William was born (in England that is) as Michael and his family where residing there while he was working in the coal mines. William as an adult later lived in Scotland where he married and died. In the census it doesn't state where they were from or born. It just gives the address where they were living at that time. :(
Callaghan or Callahan & Callachan - Blantyre & Ireland. Polockus -(many variations) Blantyre, Bellshill & Lithuania, Worldwide. Young and Boyle - Hamilton and Fife also Ireland. O'Donnell from Hamilton and Ireland Hastie from Fife also Burns from Fife

emanday
Global Moderator

Post by emanday » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:28 pm

That's quite unusual? Isn't it only the 1841 census that doesn't give the place of birth?
[b]Mary[/b]
A cat leaves pawprints on your heart
McDonald or MacDonald (some couldn't make up their mind!), Bonner, Crichton, McKillop, Campbell, Cameron, Gitrig (+other spellings), Clark, Sloan, Stewart, McCutcheon, Ireland (the surname)

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jan 16, 2007 9:42 pm

Hi,
Which Michael is it in Durham? I did a search in 1871 and they all gave a place of birth except for one Michael in Bishop Wearmouth, Durham born abt 1826, which doesn't seem to fit any of yours.

Or am I misunderstanding and is it William's census that didn't have a place of birth? Or am I just losing my mind :shock: Likely. :D
Regards,
Sarah

mcblondie

Rellie

Post by mcblondie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 10:52 pm

Name: William Callighan
Sibling: Michael
Father: Michael
Mother: Frances
Residence: 1871
Shotton, Durham, England
Birth: abt 1866
Plasshett, Northumberland, England

This is the entry on Ancestry.co.uk I can't seem to find a place of birth for Williams father? or Mother?

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:01 pm

Okay, got it. Michael is listed as born in Scotland and all the others have "do" under it, until you get to William, who was born in Northumberland. So on this one, at least, they don't seem to have been born in Ireland... :D

Regards,
Sarah

JustJean

Post by JustJean » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:04 pm

On that 1871 record when you view the digital image.....Michael, Frances, and all the kiddies save for William state they were born Scotland. Hmmmmm...... :-k

Jean

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:05 pm

Snap, Jean! :D

mcblondie

typical eh?

Post by mcblondie » Tue Jan 16, 2007 11:13 pm

Just when i thought i was getting somewhere, there's always some wall to stop you...LOL

When i first started my grans tree i thought "great" should be easy they're all from Blantyre and surrounding areas. Then I found William my grandmother's father and found out he was ENGLISH (no offence to anyone) i then tried to find his father Michael's Birth/marriage cert. I found Michael's marriage and his parents Michael and Mary, but that's where it all comes crashing down. I can't seem to find them on any census? no record of them on the OPR? my gran's daughter is convinced that it's my grans relation who was in the Swiss Guard, apparently one of her g.uncles tried to join but because he wasn't born overseas they wouldn't allow him even though there was family already registered with them. I just think it would be great to find this rellie. It's not everyday that you find someone in the occupation of guard to the Pope!!! It would be a great story if i could find proof. Anyway, if i can find out where Michael and Mary Callaghan (m.s. Brady) where from i'd be happy for the time being. :D