Searching in Germany

East and West

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

Searching in Germany

Post by Ted » Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:26 pm

Hi Everyone

Looking for suggestions here - I would like to have a go at tracing a man who was born in Munich in around 1890 - he went to the US in 1913 and died there in 1927 in an accident involving a car and a train ( #-o ouch!). I have an interest in this guy in a sideways search for someone who married into my line.

Any suggestions where to search on-line for Germany? - I have details of his life in the US between 1913 and his death - but it will help me if I can trace his birth, parents and siblings etc in Germany - any suggestions gratefully received.

Thanks lots

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

SarahND
Site Admin

Post by SarahND » Tue Feb 13, 2007 7:49 pm

Hi Ted,
First question: how's your German? It will help if you know some, of course! I was in Germany researching a German 4th great grandfather a few months ago and I thought my German was okay, if more than a bit rusty... but I must say I couldn't have negotiated finding all the records without the help of a distant cousin (descended from a Scottish lass who married a German in the 19th century!). So, the first thing is to find a Scot in your ancestry who married a German, trace the family down and ask the current batch of cousins to look for you :lol: Just kidding... sort of :roll:

Another idea: I have had good luck posting on genealogy forums specific to the area of interest. This was with records in the Netherlands, but I would suspect it might be similar with German records. Go to rootsweb or other genealogy forums and find one focussed on your area of Germany, then post a question and see if there are some friendly volunteers who might get you started.

Other people probably have more useful information, but this is my two cents :D
Best of luck! Viel Glück!
Sarah

Ted

Post by Ted » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:47 am

Hi Sarah

Thanks lots for your advice on this one - bad news is that my German is right up there along with my indepth knowlege of nuclear fussion !! I had missed the obvious first 'port of call' - IGI - got some starters there but not the ones I am looking for.

However - my cousin in Wisconsin, who is also into genealogy, has done some searching and tells me that the library in the town of Sheboygan has a copy of a book which has the names of every German Immigrant to the US. My cuz is going to visit the library to find out how useful the book is. I'll post up more details here on TS if it turns out to be a useful research source.

Best regards

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire