Apprentice Cooper Records

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Ted

Apprentice Cooper Records

Post by Ted » Sun May 10, 2015 6:47 pm

Hi Folks

My GG Grandfather James Gordon was a master cooper and lived all of his life after 1853 in Huntly, Aberdeenshire. His origins of birth are not proven, but I think he originates from Rosehearty. He is one of my brick walls. If he was a master cooper he must have served an apprenticeship somewhere - the first confirmed record I have of him is in Drumblade on the 1851 census.

He would have served as an apprentice in the preceding 10-15 years - does anyone know if apprentice records exist (if they do I would imagine being at Aberdeen City Records).

Thanks lots

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire
Alexander / Allan / Stewart in W Lothian
Allan / Burnett in USA and Canada / Davidson & Philp in Fife and Lanarkshire

StewL

Re: Apprentice Cooper Records

Post by StewL » Mon May 11, 2015 5:54 am

Hi Ted
You could try the national archives, but I think they are now linked with Ancestry, by linked, I mean sold off :x
Sorry, but I don't like ancestry, and never will. [rant]
Stewie

Searching for: Anderson, Balks, Barton, Courtney, Davidson, Downie, Dunlop, Edward, Flucker, Galloway, Graham, Guthrie, Higgins, Laurie, Mathieson, McLean, McLuckie, Miln, Nielson, Payne, Phillips, Porterfield, Stewart, Watson

WilmaM

Post by WilmaM » Mon May 11, 2015 9:32 am

Have you tried Libindx, the Moray heritage site http://libindx.moray.gov.uk/mainmenu.asp
or The Aberdeen Family History site https://www.anesfhs.org.uk/
Wilma

Ted

Post by Ted » Mon May 11, 2015 6:50 pm

Hi Stewie - I share your disdain - I gave up with them long ago and managed not to renew my subscription when it came around.

Hi Wonka2 - I'll try the links you suggest.

Thanks lots

Ted
Looking for Allan / Gordon / Troup / McInnes / Grant / Taylor / Jackson from Aberdeen (city & shire) & Banffshire

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Mon May 11, 2015 8:53 pm

He's a bit of a man of mystery is he not. Does not even seem to know where he was born. Aberdeenshire Archives are probably your best bet.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Ted

Post by Ted » Wed May 13, 2015 10:26 pm

Thanks Anne - I think Aberdeen Archives is probably my best bet - I'll write to them to see if they can help. He sure is elusive in his early years - I'm fairly certain he originates from one of 3 Gordon families in Rosehearty but records there are as common as hens teeth

](*,)

Ted

AnneM
Global Moderator

Post by AnneM » Thu May 14, 2015 10:31 pm

Aberdeen/shire Archives may be able to help indeed. It is possible he is from Rosehearty but apart from once saying he comes from Fraserburgh at no time does he say he is from there as far as I can see. Fyvie and Aberdeen appear also to be possibilities. As I'm sure you know Gordon is a very very common name.

Anne
Anne
Researching M(a)cKenzie, McCammond, McLachlan, Kerr, Assur, Renton, Redpath, Ferguson, Shedden, Also Oswald, Le/assels/Lascelles, Bonning just for starters

Ted

Post by Ted » Thu May 14, 2015 10:50 pm

Thanks Anne - I have other evidence to verify that he originated in Rosehearty - I got these details by tracing a brother and contacting living descendants of him in Canada. My James certainly gave varying places of birth on the census records he is on - with that alone it would have been well neigh impossible to get his origins. His father may have been Alexander Gordon, stonemason and mother Isabella Watt - Alexander died prior to 1840 and Isabella was in Aberdeen by then.

James's brother John eventually moved to Kirriemuir and was a successful grocer/flesher there - I have solid documentary evidence to prove they are siblings.

Osprey