Records of paupers

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

Dougalclan

Records of paupers

Post by Dougalclan » Sun Aug 25, 2019 9:53 pm

Hi,
I found details of my great great great great grandfather dying as a pauper in 1864. But can’t seem to find any record of this other than on his death certificate! Any idea where to start to find more detail. This was in the parish of cambusnethan.

Thanks in advance

DC
DC

Looking for Dougals from the Parish of Cambusnethan

Falkyrn

Re: Records of paupers

Post by Falkyrn » Sun Aug 25, 2019 10:24 pm

Check with the Archive Service in Motherwell
https://culturenl.co.uk/museums/archive ... -archives/
They have the surviving Poor Law Records for the area - if he applied for or was given assistance there should be some record of it although not all of the records have survived
~RJ Paton~

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm

Poor Law applications for North Lanarkshire have just been added to Ancestry and the records for UK and Ireland are free to lookup this weekend (until 23:59 on 26th Aug) if you don't have a subscription.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/colle ... repoorlaw/

Cheers
John

Falkyrn

Post by Falkyrn » Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:45 pm

jgmills wrote:
Sun Aug 25, 2019 11:21 pm
Poor Law applications for North Lanarkshire have just been added to Ancestry and the records for UK and Ireland are free to lookup this weekend (until 23:59 on 26th Aug) if you don't have a subscription.

https://www.ancestry.co.uk/search/colle ... repoorlaw/

Cheers
John
Unfortunately Ancestry don't seem to count Lanarkshire as being part of the UK (or Ireland) and require a subscription to view any North Lanarkshire Poor Law records.
~RJ Paton~

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Mon Aug 26, 2019 1:06 am

I think you may still have to be a registered user to view the records though not a subscriber. You can have a free account with Ancestry, that allows you to search records you just can't view the results, unless they have their free weekends etc.

Though can't be sure as I subscribe.

So perhaps DC can give some names and I can have a look to see if there are any records

John

Dougalclan

Post by Dougalclan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 8:25 am

Thank you. I’m looking for Neil Dougal b 1817 d 1864 on the death record in the parish of cambusneathan it shows him as pauper but doesn’t say where he died i.e poor house

Any help gratefully received

DC
DC

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:52 am

From the Poor law applications, there are 14 records for Neil Dougal, most are much later than yours.

But one may be correct, was Neil married to an Isabella McCann, in 1861 living at 7 Byres Court, Cambusnethan. With children Peter, aged 7, Thomas aged 6 and Neil aged 3.

This Neil is a miner aged 41, and suffering from Asthma, so probably unable to work in the mines any more.

The other records seem to be for the children mentioned above.

But that is all no details of poor house, so may have been able to live at home, but just needed financial help.

Does this sound like your man?

Cheers
John

Dougalclan

Post by Dougalclan » Mon Aug 26, 2019 9:59 am

Thanks John- this is absolutely the man I was after. I know he was married to Isabella McCann and had Thomas Neil and Peter
DC

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Mon Aug 26, 2019 10:14 am

Good, I will send you the images in a PM later today sometime.

John

AndrewP
Site Admin

Post by AndrewP » Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:26 pm

These records are not available on the Ancestry membership level that I have. I see the index page and recognise quite a number of my lot, so I plan to move up to the next level for these records (and whatever else I gain access to).
  • Essentials membership (£95.99 yearly) - no access to these records
  • Premium membership (£119.99 yearly)
  • Worldwide membership (£179.99 yearly)
  • All access membership (£224.99 yearly)
So, for an extra £24 each year, I can access these. I can justify that for the amount of names that I recognise there. My annual renewal is due in early September, so I will go for it.

All the best,

AndrewP