rootsireland help

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

hamishwaz

rootsireland help

Post by hamishwaz » Fri May 15, 2020 12:11 am

Hi guys,
I'm asking for a cheeky favour. Could someone with access to rootsireland check for a marriage between John Downie and Bridget McCurdy in Jan 1856 in either Cushendun, Culfreightrin or Rathlin Island. I cant bring myself to pay the one day fee for one search that could very well not show anything. I have an ancestry subscription and would be more than happy to return the favour if possible.
Thanks
Searching for Downie, Coyle, Berekis, McCurdy, McCormick, McNinch, Parker

nelmit

Re: rootsireland help

Post by nelmit » Fri May 15, 2020 6:01 pm

Is this the couple who had children in Greenock, Scotland.

If so a look at one of the children's birth entries should give you date and place of marriage.

Regards,
Annette

hamishwaz

Post by hamishwaz » Fri May 15, 2020 10:30 pm

Yes, that's them. One child's birth cert says Cushendun and another says Culfreightrin. I'm hoping to narrow it down to help search for the previous generation and it would be nice to have the record

jgmills

Post by jgmills » Fri May 15, 2020 10:50 pm

Have you tried

https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/

They are free to view births deaths and marriages for Ireland

John

Elwyn 1

Post by Elwyn 1 » Sat May 16, 2020 2:56 am

Cushendun is in Culfeightrin civil parish, so essentially those both can refer to the same place. Culfeightrin RC marriages are on-line free on the nli site. No sign of a Downie/McCurdy marriage in January 1856 but you might want to search a year or two either side:

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls ... 0/mode/1up

There is also an RC parish of Cushendun but unfortunately there is a gap in their marriages between 1852 and 1862. This may be why you can't find this 1856 marriage.

The RC marriage records for Rathlin don’t start till 1857, so again if they married there, there’s no record to be found.
Elwyn

Andy

Post by Andy » Mon Dec 13, 2021 12:59 pm

Hi,

If you do a search on TS for Downie Ancestors/Descendents in Renfrewshire you should find a post from 2006 with loads of information I found for a relative of yours, Nancy.
Searching for Keogh, Kelly, Fitzgerald, Riddell, Stewart, Wilson, McQuilkin, Lynch, Boyle, Cairney, Ross, King, McIlravey, McCurdy, Drennan and Woods (to name but a few).

Also looking for any information on Rathlin Island, County Antrim, Ireland.

hamishwaz

Post by hamishwaz » Tue Jan 25, 2022 1:00 am

Hi Andy, I did find that post when i first started researching and it gave me a great starting point so thank you for that. In that post you mentioned John Downie and Bridget McCurdy's Marriage in Cushendon in 1855. I found one of the childrens birth record that says this but another gives Culfeightrin as the place they married with a different date. Ive checked the Parish books on nli.ie, cushendon doesnt have a book with that year but culfeightrin does with no record of their marriage. I was wondering if you have any evidence of their marriage

Thanks
Alan