Royal Bank (not a bank) Stewarton

Useful places to look up facts

Moderator: Global Moderators

bluebell2go

Royal Bank (not a bank) Stewarton

Post by bluebell2go » Wed Jun 10, 2020 9:23 pm

My GGM was a domestic servant at Royal Bank, Stewarton in the 1870s. Family lore has it that she was a sewing maid in a big house. I can't find anything about this. has anyone heard of Royal Bank?
Lockhart Pitkethly Mackie McMail Woodburn
Stead McIlwain Burns Brown Moreland Thomson
Gallacher Cowan Craig McWilliam McBroom McWhinnie Paterson Dawson Gribben Binnie

SarahND
Site Admin

Re: Royal Bank (not a bank) Stewarton

Post by SarahND » Thu Jun 11, 2020 9:52 am

Hello bluebell2go,

Here is an interesting set of facts to ponder on:

The Royal Bank of Scotland is currently at 22, 24 Lainshaw Street

In 1871 James Love, a Banker, was living on Lainshaw Street in Stewarton with his family
In 1881 his address is given as Royal Bank Buildings

There were a number of domestic servants in his household on each census. Was your GG grandmother working there in between census years or might she have been there in either 1871 or 1881? If so, what was her name?

Of course, there could have been any number of other families living in Royal Bank Buildings, but this one jumped out at me.

Best wishes,
Sarah

bluebell2go

Re: Royal Bank (not a bank) Stewarton

Post by bluebell2go » Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:29 pm

Thanks Sarah. Royal Bank Buildings! That sounds like an obvious answer!

She was Elizabeth McMail, born 1849 in Galston and she was at Polwarth St Galston on the 1851, 1861 and 1871 census when she was stated to be a dressmaker. Her marriage certificate of 1874 said that she was a domestic servant at Royal Bank, Stewarton. She married John Mackie a native of Stewarton but now working as a joiner in Glasgow. After this she lived in Glasgow and for a short time in Gourock.
Lockhart Pitkethly Mackie McMail Woodburn
Stead McIlwain Burns Brown Moreland Thomson
Gallacher Cowan Craig McWilliam McBroom McWhinnie Paterson Dawson Gribben Binnie